*IF* Thune wins the GOP nomination, who's his VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:48:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  *IF* Thune wins the GOP nomination, who's his VP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: *IF* Thune wins the GOP nomination, who's his VP?  (Read 4538 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »

i think he's got to attempt to secure some EVs with his pick....though he can't waste time picking someone from FL or OH, if he can't win there without a homestate VP then he can't win anyway. 

...someone more moderate (religiously and politically) from PA would be good...any names...any Catholics with military experience?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »

Sarah Palin
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:31:33 PM »

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:34:24 PM »

Uh, you asked who Thune's running mate would be. I answered.

Thankfully Thune won't win the nomination so we won't have to deal with that disaster of a ticket.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »

Uh, you asked who Thune's running mate would be. I answered.

Thankfully Thune won't win the nomination so we won't have to deal with that disaster of a ticket.

see first post of thread:

i think he's got to attempt to secure some EVs with his pick....though he can't waste time picking someone from FL or OH, if he can't win there without a homestate VP then he can't win anyway. 

...someone more moderate (religiously and politically) from PA would be good...any names...any Catholics with military experience?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 01:38:12 PM »

Ridge?
milhouse24
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:41:08 PM »

He could pick a governor, since he is a Senator.  I don't think a military vet would be as important, now that Economic factors are more important than the Iraq War. 
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »

He could pick a governor, since he is a Senator.  I don't think a military vet would be as important, now that Economic factors are more important than the Iraq War. 

I think Thune could handle the economic side of the argument, and I think Iraq and Afghan will end badly along with other setbacks in middle east peace.  Though, having said that, someone with military experience isn't required.

---

Ridge is not pro-life, but would be a reassuring pick if terrorists strike again on U.S. soil (even in the event of an airline bombing)
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »

Thune-Ridge would lose every state McCain did, plus Missouri, Arizona, Montana, and Georgia.

The only winning issue Thune has is being pro-life. Putting a pro-abortionist on the ticket will end that.
milhouse24
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »

Thune-Ridge would lose every state McCain did, plus Missouri, Arizona, Montana, and Georgia.

The only winning issue Thune has is being pro-life. Putting a pro-abortionist on the ticket will end that.

I used to think Ridge had a chance at VP, but he really needs a conversion to pro-life if he wants a chance on the ticket.  Heck, Dick Cheney was pro-gay marriage and he never talked about it, ever.  Ridge can say he supports the Nominee and pro-life.  The Christians wouldn't vote for the Democrat anyway. 

Also, Senator P. Bush founded Planned Parenthood, yet both GHWB and GWB convinced Christians they were pro-life, go figure!
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 04:10:58 PM »

I used to think Ridge had a chance at VP, but he really needs a conversion to pro-life if he wants a chance on the ticket.  Heck, Dick Cheney was pro-gay marriage and he never talked about it, ever.  Ridge can say he supports the Nominee and pro-life.  The Christians wouldn't vote for the Democrat anyway. 

Also, Senator P. Bush founded Planned Parenthood, yet both GHWB and GWB convinced Christians they were pro-life, go figure!

Well, Dubya and Bush Senior are Pro-Life retard.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:36 PM »

Judd Gregg
evan bayh
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 04:36:17 PM »

bobby jindal
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »

Hate to burst your bubble but Planned Parenthood was founded in 1916, when Prescott Bush was like 21 years old...........
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 05:24:14 PM »

True, though GHW Bush only became pro-life in 1980, when Reagan picked him as his running mate.
milhouse24
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 08:06:02 PM »

Yeah, they both converted to Pro-life, how convenient of them for political gain. 
milhouse24
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 09:10:53 PM »

Hate to burst your bubble but Planned Parenthood was founded in 1916, when Prescott Bush was like 21 years old...........

Oops, I guess Prescott only worked for their national offices, then, my bad - I guess he was really a secret pro=lifer, lol
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

True, though GHW Bush only became pro-life in 1980, when Reagan picked him as his running mate.

GHW Bush never really became pro-life, as evidenced by his appointment of David Souter...
milhouse24
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:20 PM »

How about Lamar Alexander?  Is he too old?  he always seemed to be a good choice being a governor and from geographically useful Tennessee. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »

GHW Bush never really became pro-life, as evidenced by his appointment of David Souter...

He thought Souter and Clarence Thomas were pro-life. He was right about Thomas, wrong about Souter. If you're going to say that, then Reagan never really became pro-life either--he appointed two pro-choice justices.

In response to the question, John Hoeven.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 09:40:54 PM »

He thought Souter and Clarence Thomas were pro-life. He was right about Thomas, wrong about Souter. If you're going to say that, then Reagan never really became pro-life either--he appointed two pro-choice justices.

In response to the question, John Hoeven.

Reagan wasn't really pro-life either...as governor of California he signed a relatively liberal abortion law.
milhouse24
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 09:51:15 PM »

Reagan wasn't really pro-life either...as governor of California he signed a relatively liberal abortion law.

Interesting how serious the pro-life lobby has gotten since 1980.  For the GOP nominee, he/she needs to be a strong religious fanatic and pro-life.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »

Bob McDonnell
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »

Interesting how serious the pro-life lobby has gotten since 1980.  For the GOP nominee, he/she needs to be a strong religious fanatic and pro-life.

Um, no. We haven't had a strong pro-lifer for a GOP nominee yet.

But I don't think there was any real fanatically pro-abortion candidate from either party until Mondale in 1984.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »

Well to counter Thune's weaknesses, I would pick an older person with foreign and national defence experience. Also maybe someone from the east coast.

Maybe Cantor, he's not old, but it might attract more non-evangelical people to his ticket.

Not sure...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies