Why didn't John Kerry get a post-convention bounce?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:10:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why didn't John Kerry get a post-convention bounce?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Why didn't John Kerry get a post-convention bounce?  (Read 22388 times)
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:33:15 PM »

Reasons?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »

Swift-boating?
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 08:05:28 PM »

I remember that happening around the GOP convention though...that was about a month after the Democratic convention.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »

I remember that happening around the GOP convention though...that was about a month after the Democratic convention.

Well I guess Kerry was just a bad candidate. Also Bush probably already began scaring people about Kerry beign weak on terrorism.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »

Didn't he get a minor bounce? Like +2
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:16:45 PM »

Actually, I remember at the time, a few pollsters speculated it was because (a) the VP pick had been made over three weeks earlier and (b) Kerry was already polling at a high point of about 5-6 points ahead. So he was already maxing out in the polls and the convention couldn't push him much higher.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »

He was a terrible candidate and no one watched his conventions. Bugs Bunny cartoons got better ratings and he took no clear stance on the issues.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »

His speech was actually quite good but his delivery was a bit off. The Edwards speech was a disappointment though.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 07:44:18 PM »

The DNC wasn't nearly entertaining enough. The RNC, on the other hand, was infotainment gold. The production qualities were light years aparts.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »

The DNC wasn't nearly entertaining enough. The RNC, on the other hand, was infotainment gold. The production qualities were light years aparts.

Thankfully, the Dems caught up and then some by 2008.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:12 PM »

No one cared.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »

Hats off to Dick Morris and the Republicans who predicted a 15 point bounce for Kerry which made a 3 point bounce look pathetic. I also liked it when Republicans in the senate screwed with him by delaying a vote on veterans' benefits that summer til he left town and flew back to his campaign trail which caused him to miss a vote on such an important issue for a veteran. Of course that was picture day too and so the public perception was very bad lol.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »

Hats off to Dick Morris and the Republicans who predicted a 15 point bounce for Kerry which made a 3 point bounce look pathetic. I also liked it when Republicans in the senate screwed with him by delaying a vote on veterans' benefits that summer til he left town and flew back to his campaign trail which caused him to miss a vote on such an important issue for a veteran. Of course that was picture day too and so the public perception was very bad lol.

Oh yeah, politics is funny...Denying VA coverage is funny...
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »

In case you weren't aware, the current benefits didn't expire for several more months and they didn't need his vote to pass. It went through 96 or 98-0 to my recollection. In the 24 hour period that the bill might have been delayed, no one would've gone without benefits.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 05:07:04 PM »

There aren't always bounces, Kerry was going to stay close to Bush which he did until election regardless, he was never going to have a substantial lead over Bush eventhough he had a lead during the campaign season.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »

1) Most people had already made up their minds about who to vote for (or against, as the case might be).  The 2004 Election probably featured the fewest undecideds at that point in the race than any other election in U.S. history.

2) Did you watch the convention?  Regardless of which side you were for, John Kerry doesn't energize people, and neither did the Democrats.  They really had no message, other than being opposed to Bush, and a crappy messenger to boot.  If so many people had not already decided to oppose Bush, regardless, then the election never would have been close.  At the same token. if the Democrats hadn't fielded someone who was arguably the worst Presidential candidate in history (Mondale and McGovern never had a chance, and at least Goldwater went down fighting for something, and created a movement... no one will remember Kerry for anything in 50 years), Bush never would have made it to a second term.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 02:42:50 PM »

This is great! I'm starting a new thread about worst candidates in MODERN history since 1952.

1. Walter Mondale
2. Michael Dukakis
3. John Kerry
4. Bob Dole
5. George McGovern
6. Jimmy Carter

You are right about Barry Goldwater. He led to the Reagan Revolution which has made conservatism mainstream.
cpeeks
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »

The electorate was very polarized Bush didnt get a bounce either. And Dole wasnt a bad candidate he was about the best the GOP had that yea, and um Carter was elected President and had a lead going into the final days of 1980, so I wouldnt say he was bad either.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »

The electorate was very polarized Bush didnt get a bounce either. And Dole wasnt a bad candidate he was about the best the GOP had that yea, and um Carter was elected President and had a lead going into the final days of 1980, so I wouldnt say he was bad either.

I remember Bush taking a 16 point lead after his convention when Kerry fell into the 30's.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 07:33:31 PM »

This is great! I'm starting a new thread about worst candidates in MODERN history since 1952.

1. Walter Mondale
2. Michael Dukakis
3. John Kerry
4. Bob Dole
5. George McGovern
6. Jimmy Carter

You are right about Barry Goldwater. He led to the Reagan Revolution which has made conservatism mainstream.

You forgot Al Gore. He was running in a much more favorable environment than Kerry was.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »

1. Walter Mondale
2. Michael Dukakis
3. John Kerry
4. Bob Dole
5. George McGovern
6. Jimmy Carter

You forgot Al Gore. He was running in a much more favorable environment than Kerry was.

I'll tell you what sometimes I do want to put Gore as the third worst behind Mondale and Dukakis.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 10:30:13 PM »

1. Walter Mondale
2. Michael Dukakis
3. John Kerry
4. Bob Dole
5. George McGovern
6. Jimmy Carter

I'll tell you what sometimes I do want to put Gore as the third worst behind Mondale and Dukakis.

I would even put Gore above Mondale and Dukakis. Mondale never had a chance, Dukakis did have a chance but the issues in 1988 (good economy+Reagan's popularity+no foreign wars) favored Bush Sr. In 2000, the issues (good economy+lack of foreign threats+Clinton's popularity) favored Gore, but Gore still blew the election.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 11:49:15 PM »

1. Walter Mondale
2. Michael Dukakis
3. John Kerry
4. Bob Dole
5. George McGovern
6. Jimmy Carter

I would even put Gore above Mondale and Dukakis. Mondale never had a chance, Dukakis did have a chance but the issues in 1988 (good economy+Reagan's popularity+no foreign wars) favored Bush Sr. In 2000, the issues (good economy+lack of foreign threats+Clinton's popularity) favored Gore, but Gore still blew the election.

LOL he did find every way to lose that he could. He stopped campaigning in Ohio shortly after Labor Day because he was down by double digits and came within the margin of error anyways. The gun issue cost him his home state of TN, Clinton's home state of AR, and WV which had been a Massachusetts type of reliability for that party until 2000. I sometimes wonder if it would've been close at all without Clinton's popularity.
cpeeks
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »

I remember Bush taking a 16 point lead after his convention when Kerry fell into the 30's.

The biggest lead Bush ever had was about 9 points at it evaporated over night when Kerry slaughtered Bush in that first debate over foreign policy and Iraq. That debate put Kerry back in the race. If had been anybody else that year besides Kerry running, Bush would have lost by double digits.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies