Besides Florida in 2000, what other network calls got reversed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:16:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Besides Florida in 2000, what other network calls got reversed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Besides Florida in 2000, what other network calls got reversed?  (Read 2471 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:29:35 PM »

I think I read that in 1976, the networks called Oregon for Carter, but Eugene McCarthy's support got Ford over the edge in the end.  Also, I think in 1960, Kennedy was called the winner in CA, but eventually, Nixon won the 32 EVs.

Were there any other network gaffes?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »

How come the media called Florida before the polls there closed? Wasn't that illegal? Also, who do you think this cost more votes from: Gore or Bush?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »

How come the media called Florida before the polls there closed? Wasn't that illegal? Also, who do you think this cost more votes from: Gore or Bush?
The rule had been that if they had 75% of the precients closed, then they could project a state. They had this and called it for Gore. I do not think that this helped or hurt either candidate significantly because the other 25% were very big for Bush. So, it did not make much difference with the voting.

I heard some voters left the polls after Florida was called for Gore, though? I know there were only 11 minutes left, but I think that Bush probably lost several thousand votes since many voters figured there would be no point in voting for him if he already lost.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 09:45:39 PM »

The rule had been that if they had 75% of the precients closed, then they could project a state. They had this and called it for Gore. I do not think that this helped or hurt either candidate significantly because the other 25% were very big for Bush. So, it did not make much difference with the voting.

I heard some voters left the polls after Florida was called for Gore, though? I know there were only 11 minutes left, but I think that Bush probably lost several thousand votes since many voters figured there would be no point in voting for him if he already lost.

To counter that, you could just ask why would Gore voters stay if he'd already won.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »

To counter that, you could just ask why would Gore voters stay if he'd already won.

Because they would feel proud that their man won and thus be willing to wait another 1-11 minutes to proudly cast their vote for him with a feeling of strength, pride, and conviction.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2010, 10:06:32 PM by memphis »

Because they would feel proud that their man won and thus be willing to wait another 1-11 minutes to proudly cast their vote for him with a feeling of strength, pride, and conviction.
Couple of things about this. Both sets of voters would be dissuaded from voting, but there would be far more Bush voters because the Panhandle is very Republican. On the other hand, I don't think that it is common practice to have tvs at polling stations, and this was before smart phones (half the country probably didn't have cell phones at all back then; I didn't). It's doubtful many folks at the polls realized the state had been called.
Also, FOX incorrectly called the 2008 Dem primary in MO for Hillary Clinton.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:40:10 PM »

Also, FOX incorrectly called the 2008 Dem primary in MO for Hillary Clinton.

I actually remember that. I think some other networks might have as well, but I remember I was glad MO voted for Obama in the end (too bad it didn't do so again on Election Day, though).
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »

Hawaii was called for Nixon in 1960, but then went to recount and Kennedy won it. They wound up sending two electoral slates and Congress had to rule in favor of Kennedy's.

I don't know if the networks called it on election night, though.

Also in '96, the networks called the NH Senate race for the unfortunately-named Dick Swett (D) only to have Bob Smith (R) win in the end.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 04:00:08 PM »

1st amendment.....

how would it be "illegal"?
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »

New Mexico in 2000 was retracted from Gore and put in the Too Close To Call category. A few days later Gore finally won it again.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »

I thought that it was against the law for the media to make projections as to which candidate won which state until all the polls in that particular state have closed.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 09:49:53 PM »

I know that Maryland was called for Dukakis pretty early on in 1988, but Bush ended up winning when all the votes were counted.  In 1992, they got a couple of Senate races wrong, calling Georgia for Wyche Fowler without a runoff and calling New Hampshire for John Rauh over Judd Gregg. 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 08:19:44 AM »

I thought that it was against the law for the media to make projections as to which candidate won which state until all the polls in that particular state have closed.

I understand that...but that isn't an explanation, you're just repeating yourself. How do you imagine that would be constitutional?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the projection of California for Kennedy in 1960 was the only time the networks prematurely called the Presidency. Here's a video of NBC's projection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkYCAov9zi4

Michael Bloomberg was also prematurely projected to be the winner in last year's New York City Mayoral Election.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 07:25:19 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2010, 09:26:45 PM by SE Lt. Gov elect tb75 »

NBC Called North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas for Carter in 1980, only to have Reagan come back and win.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 08:52:17 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2010, 09:25:45 PM by SE Lt. Gov elect tb75 »

NBC Called North and South Carolina for Carter in 1980, only to have Reagan come back and win.
Source? I think that the networks called North and South Carolina along with alot of other states for Reagan early based on exit polls. They called the presidency based on exit polls.

I remember a recording of that election night I saw where I saw one guy say that ..."the floodgates opened and almost everything went for Ronald Reagan." I think that North Carolina and South Carolina were two of the places that that person was referring to. They were, to my knowledge, called early like a lot of other places.

But, if you had a source, then you would be proven right. I would like to see a source.

Heres you stupid source:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25887219/#27168385

Watch at 2:11 in the first video

There you go.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 01:32:18 AM »

New Mexico in 2000 got retracted from Gore but still went for him.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »

Guys, the networks are private parties, they can call any state for any one, just like Drudge can or you or I can say anyone won in a particular state. There is nothing official about it. It is purely private speech and you can listen to it or not. George Bush himself when Florida was called for Gore, said he was switching his TV to Fox News because Fox had not called it. If you are standing in line to vote, you do not get out of line just because the stated was 'called', no matter if it was called for the person you are voting for or the other person. The only person who can call an election is the Secretary of State, in this case Kathleen Harris. That person's judgement is final.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »

NBC Called North and South Carolina for Carter in 1980, only to have Reagan come back and win.
Source? I think that the networks called North and South Carolina along with alot of other states for Reagan early based on exit polls. They called the presidency based on exit polls.

I remember a recording of that election night I saw where I saw one guy say that ..."the floodgates opened and almost everything went for Ronald Reagan." I think that North Carolina and South Carolina were two of the places that that person was referring to. They were, to my knowledge, called early like a lot of other places.

But, if you had a source, then you would be proven right. I would like to see a source.

Heres you stupid source:

There you go.

I watched all the videos and didn't see any calls of the Carolinas for Carter in any of them, unless I missed something.

A lot of states were called ridiculously early in 1980, especially the South. Tennessee only went for Reagan by 0.4% and yet it was already called by 8:15 Eastern!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 10:28:02 PM »

Heres you stupid source:

There you go.

I watched all the videos and didn't see any calls of the Carolinas for Carter in any of them, unless I missed something.

A lot of states were called ridiculously early in 1980, especially the South. Tennessee only went for Reagan by 0.4% and yet it was already called by 8:15 Eastern!

Did you watch the first video about 1980, if you watch closely, you can see on the map the states were called for Carter. You can tell that it was from 1980 because Brokaw in the clip was talking about the hosteges.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:11 PM »

Oh ok, I see it now. I don't think that's an actual map from election night though....more like a preelection prediction. Immediately before that in the video they said that the hostage announcement was 2 days before the election, so I'm assuming that's when the clip with Brokaw is from.

It is kind of odd that they'd have Brokaw reporting on news with a map behind him, though. I was only 2 years old in 1980 so obviously I don't remember. Smiley
DS0816
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 10:42:10 PM »

Fox News: 2008 U.S. Senate race on Election Night (11.04.2008), for the state of Georgia, was called for Republican Saxby Chambliss.

Reality: Chambliss didn't reach the state's required minimum to win election outright. A run-off between him and Democratic challenger Jim Martin took place four weeks later.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 10:44:21 PM »

The call of Florida for Bush election night was because of a  precinct that in initial returns Diebold gave Al Gore negative 16,022 votes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »

The AP called Missouri for Hillary.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/44/2008/02/05/mo_ap_calls_for_clinton.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: