Johnson and Martin Counties, KY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:39:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Johnson and Martin Counties, KY
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Johnson and Martin Counties, KY  (Read 1134 times)
Shilly
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:49:08 PM »

Apologies if this has been asked before; nothing turned up in search, but does anyone have an explanation why these two counties are so Republican compared to their surroundings.
RBH

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:28:32 AM »

I'm finding some Civil War-related stuff for Johnson County and Martin County didn't exist for awhile after the Civil War. Also gotta wonder about the unionization or lack of amongst local coal there
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »

Seeing as the East Kentucky Democratic (or historically Democratic... Harlan County voted over 70% for John McCain. Crikey) areas used to be Republican too before the New Deal, and Johnson County certainly is a part of the coalfield... it does seem strange. Their current politics don't, but their 60s-80s (and before, presumably) politics sure do. Al?

It's a Regular Baptist area, of course. But if they were like their even less worldly cousins the Old Regular Baptists, one would expect hardline Republicanism to be a recent phenomenon.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 03:09:01 PM »

Not entirely sure. Most of Martin is very remote, but that's not really true (by Central Appalachian standards) of Johnson. I've always suspected that unionisation patterns probably come into it, perhaps early twentieth century immigration patterns as well. Suppose its also possible that the coal industry declined in Johnson before the rest of the area (I think it developed quite early), though I can't remember at the moment.

Time to link to an older thread for the sheer hell of it: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=106465.0
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »

I don't think Johnson and Martin are as unionized as the nearby counties. Plus, there's more right-wing types there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »

Ah, but that shifts the emphasis to: Why did unionization fail in Johnson and Martin Counties in the 1930s?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »

Ah, but that shifts the emphasis to: Why did unionization fail in Johnson and Martin Counties in the 1930s?

Well, sheer geography might explain Martin (as it does, for example, Upshur county in WV). As for Johnson, I wonder whether there might be any statistics on coal production year-by-year (or even decade-by-decade) on the internets. Probably not, alas.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »

It certainly still was working mining country in the era (though I don't know about relative decline). I know that because I know Loretta Lynn is from Johnson County, and her father was a coalminer, you see. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:29:43 AM »

It certainly still was working mining country in the era (though I don't know about relative decline). I know that because I know Loretta Lynn is from Johnson County, and her father was a coalminer, you see. Smiley

Haha, yes, I knew that as well Smiley

I was just wondering whether the industry might have been scaled down earlier, with a move away from larger mines or something. Probably not, but worth a thought.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies