Hoover/Curtis vs Glass/Mckellar
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:11:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hoover/Curtis vs Glass/Mckellar
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hoover/Curtis vs Glass/Mckellar  (Read 1845 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:04:28 AM »

Somehow, the Democratic National Convention nominates old-as-dirt Senators Carter Glass and Kenneth McKellar for the ticket. There are huge concerns about the two Senators' health.

How well does Hoover do?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »

any other takers?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »

I agree with your map, except maybe flip KS to Hoover due to his VP. Anyone would defeat Hoover in 1932.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »

BTW, Glass and McKellar were not that old. Glass was 74 and McKellar was only 63.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 12:17:13 PM »

BTW, Glass and McKellar were not that old. Glass was 74 and McKellar was only 63.
McCain was 72 in 2008, when we've made tremendous leaps in medical science. A 74 year old in 1932?

Besides, when/if Glass made it through his two terms, Mckellar would also be in his early seventies. The Hoover campaign would probably use whatever it could as an issue to campaign on, since he couldn't really run on his own record.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »

McCain was 72 in 2008, when we've made tremendous leaps in medical science. A 74 year old in 1932?

Besides, when/if Glass made it through his two terms, Mckellar would also be in his early seventies. The Hoover campaign would probably use whatever it could as an issue to campaign on, since he couldn't really run on his own record.

The Democratic Party nominated an 81-year old Vice Presidential nominee in 1904. That's 28 years before this election, and medical technology did somewhat improve between 1904 and 1932. If the Democrats were able to do that in 1904, surely they would have no problem nominating a 74-year old presidential nominee in 1932. There were many old politicians back then, just like now (although the percentage might have been less). Also, if Glass would have served two terms, I doubt that the Dems would have nominated McKellar for President afterwards, since the Vice Presidency wasn't worth a "bucket of warm piss" back then and didn't really become important until Ike's Presidency. I think people would have voted for Glass/McKellar since they were both pretty experienced and they would have found it to be pretty unlikely for them to both die within 4 or 8 years. (Both lived to their late 80s in RL, I believe.) Finally, I seriously doubt Hoover would have been able to change the issues in 1932, since people were massively worried about the economy and thus wouldn't care much about some candidate's age or some other issue.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »

The Democratic Party nominated an 81-year old Vice Presidential nominee in 1904. That's 28 years before this election, and medical technology did somewhat improve between 1904 and 1932. If the Democrats were able to do that in 1904, surely they would have no problem nominating a 74-year old presidential nominee in 1932. There were many old politicians back then, just like now (although the percentage might have been less). Also, if Glass would have served two terms, I doubt that the Dems would have nominated McKellar for President afterwards, since the Vice Presidency wasn't worth a "bucket of warm piss" back then and didn't really become important until Ike's Presidency. I think people would have voted for Glass/McKellar since they were both pretty experienced and they would have found it to be pretty unlikely for them to both die within 4 or 8 years. (Both lived to their late 80s in RL, I believe.) Finally, I seriously doubt Hoover would have been able to change the issues in 1932, since people were massively worried about the economy and thus wouldn't care much about some candidate's age or some other issue.
I'm not saying he would've been able to, I'm saying he would've tried. My map shows a massive Glass win anyway. Also, Demcrats had no problem with nominating such an old nominee, but that's not to say the American people wouldn't have.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies