Civ V coming this fall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:51:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Civ V coming this fall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civ V coming this fall  (Read 836 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:30:34 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
No more squares....hexes now.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 03:32:38 AM »

About time. I hope the changes are more than cosmetic.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »

I've been playing Civ IV more or less continuously for three years. I hope I don't have to buy a new computer.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:12:40 AM »

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:01:12 AM »

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/video-game-article/civilization-v-preview.php
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »

I hope it is better than Civ IV.  I was disappointed when I bought it and only played the game for about a month before switching bac to Civ III.  Civ III was better.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »

Pure awesomeness.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 02:10:12 PM »

A few things I would like to see:

1) Start out with some of the more practical mods made by the expansion packs, and in some of the amateur mods, for that matter.  The addition of levees alone makes the game alot better.  But they could also add on some new resources, popular in the mods, like tea, coffee, tin.  They could also add in a fleet of manufactured resources; one mod has beer (great!), but you could also have steel as a manufactured resource... any number of other things.

2) Religions actually mean something, as opposed to them simply coming into existence willy-nilly and people saying "well, I am Jewish, and you are Christian.  It makes no difference, but we aren't allowed to like each other."  They should be founded in different ways (not just from discovering a tech).  They should have bonuses.  Different spread rates would be nice, and they should spread in different ways (note, Christianity and Islam never become factors, because they are founded so late on the tech tree).

3) No tech trading, or if you do have it, make it very expensive... or maybe even have "research trading" instead.  Techs should simply spread naturally, once first discovered, like they do in real life.

You could have certain technologies (like stealth) have slow spread rates... or maybe even have those have to be traded (call them "state secret techs) while other technologies (like mass media) spread very quickly.

The spread rate of techs could depend on your own scientific research as well... the more you invest in technology, the more likely it is that you can benefit (quickly) from the spread.

Also, your relationship with another civ that has a tech you don't could effect whether it spreads to you.

4) Make the game more dynamic.  I like how they added "events" in BtS.  That's cool.  But there should be more events and they should have far greater effects.

Actual climate change should be a factor in the game.  Instead of just having their stupid "Global Warming has stuck near..." and changing one tile, the entire map should shift with the effects of climate.  This could have a massive effect on the fortunes of civilizations.

5) In one of the expansions, they added "break away" areas... parts of your civilization that might, for one reason or another, decide to become independent.  Great idea, but it never seemed to happen.  This was, in part, because the controlling civ had to approve the break away.  They should make it avoidable, but also unstoppable if nothing happens to change the situation.

If only seemed to happen when you were on one continent and area in question was on another.  Make it capable of happening in any number of circumstances.  For instance, on boarder cities all people usually either identify with one culture, or the other.  Typically, however, what happens in these situations is a "Third Way" culture, that takes aspects from both.  This should be treated as something different, and lead to a potential indpendence movement.  Religious differences could also be used.

You would have a warning ie they would petition of independence first, in which case you would get a relationship bump if you grant it.  You would be able to reconquer them, if they try to break away... but if you don't do something, it will happen.

6) Un-Nerf the Navy and air force.  I liked it when bombers and battleship could do alot of destruction to on-land, stationary targets.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »

Of, also, there is a mod where all of the resources can be depleted, and then be discovered elsewhere throughout the game.  That's cool, I like that.  Maybe not for the majority of the stuff on the map, but it would be pretty cool if it happened reasonably often.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »

My idea for an entirely overhauled resource system would go something like this:

For each "resource" to have, ie one tile of coal, you get 10 "shares" of that resource.  If you have two coal, you get 20 shares, and so on.  Each share gives your entire civ a slight bonus, in production, in food, in whatever... or alternatively, for "production" resources, each one gives you the ability to support one kind of a building (so 1 share of coal supports one factory).  Of course, beyond a certain point, it would be more beneficial for you to trade off a resource, than hold it, either to get money, or to exchange for another resource... thus facilitating trade.  All trade would be conducted in "shares" as opposed to just one tile worth of a resource.  So, I would trade 5 shares of coal (to support five factories, coal electrical plants, or whatever) in exchange for, say, 5 shares of wheat... each share of wheat giving a +1 food boost to every city in my empire.

Thus, if I had 3 tiles of coal, I would have 30 shares of coal to use or trade.  I think that would be better and more realistic than the current system.  It would also allow for the possibility of some resources being scarcer than others... so because there is no limit to benefits of, say, wheat then you could have 30 tiles of wheat on the map, for only 15 civs, and it would make sense.  Alternatively, you wouldn't need 15 tiles of coal, since the effects are proportional, as opposed to being "one tile, all the benefits".  The have and the have not is not nearly as black and white in this case.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »

Also, while that site Mikado showed was supposed to be a joke, but it mentioned that "stacking" will at least be more restricted in this game.  I have seen that in other places, and I think its a great idea.  20 unit stacks are ridiculous, and unrealistic (at least for ground forces).  They take away from the military strategic elements of the game.  It is useful for its own reasons, however, so what I would propose would be to have "logistics" technologies, which would gradually allow you to create larger and larger stacks... the idea being that the ability to move mass, concentrated forces, got better as the ability to supply them got better (blitzkrieg being the final culmination of this, in some ways), not to mention health concerns.  In the end, you could have, say, 10 units per stack.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »

2) Religions actually mean something, as opposed to them simply coming into existence willy-nilly and people saying "well, I am Jewish, and you are Christian.  It makes no difference, but we aren't allowed to like each other."  They should be founded in different ways (not just from discovering a tech).  They should have bonuses.  Different spread rates would be nice, and they should spread in different ways (note, Christianity and Islam never become factors, because they are founded so late on the tech tree).

Variations in religions would be very interesting for game play... but regrettably, we know they'll never be able to do this.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 04:50:22 PM »

Also, while that site Mikado showed was supposed to be a joke, but it mentioned that "stacking" will at least be more restricted in this game.  I have seen that in other places, and I think its a great idea.  20 unit stacks are ridiculous, and unrealistic (at least for ground forces).  They take away from the military strategic elements of the game.  It is useful for its own reasons, however, so what I would propose would be to have "logistics" technologies, which would gradually allow you to create larger and larger stacks... the idea being that the ability to move mass, concentrated forces, got better as the ability to supply them got better (blitzkrieg being the final culmination of this, in some ways), not to mention health concerns.  In the end, you could have, say, 10 units per stack.

Just to be fair, that review made everything it said up.  (And explicitly said so at the top of the article, so I was assuming that people would pick up on it)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »

2) Religions actually mean something, as opposed to them simply coming into existence willy-nilly and people saying "well, I am Jewish, and you are Christian.  It makes no difference, but we aren't allowed to like each other."  They should be founded in different ways (not just from discovering a tech).  They should have bonuses.  Different spread rates would be nice, and they should spread in different ways (note, Christianity and Islam never become factors, because they are founded so late on the tech tree).

Variations in religions would be very interesting for game play... but regrettably, we know they'll never be able to do this.

Apparently, they are totally removing religions from the game.  Screw that.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 12:10:53 AM »

A few things I would like to see:

1) Start out with some of the more practical mods made by the expansion packs, and in some of the amateur mods, for that matter.  The addition of levees alone makes the game alot better.  But they could also add on some new resources, popular in the mods, like tea, coffee, tin.  They could also add in a fleet of manufactured resources; one mod has beer (great!), but you could also have steel as a manufactured resource... any number of other things.

3) No tech trading, or if you do have it, make it very expensive... or maybe even have "research trading" instead.  Techs should simply spread naturally, once first discovered, like they do in real life.

You could have certain technologies (like stealth) have slow spread rates... or maybe even have those have to be traded (call them "state secret techs) while other technologies (like mass media) spread very quickly.

The spread rate of techs could depend on your own scientific research as well... the more you invest in technology, the more likely it is that you can benefit (quickly) from the spread.

Also, your relationship with another civ that has a tech you don't could effect whether it spreads to you.

4) Make the game more dynamic.  I like how they added "events" in BtS.  That's cool.  But there should be more events and they should have far greater effects.

Actual climate change should be a factor in the game.  Instead of just having their stupid "Global Warming has stuck near..." and changing one tile, the entire map should shift with the effects of climate.  This could have a massive effect on the fortunes of civilizations.

5) In one of the expansions, they added "break away" areas... parts of your civilization that might, for one reason or another, decide to become independent.  Great idea, but it never seemed to happen.  This was, in part, because the controlling civ had to approve the break away.  They should make it avoidable, but also unstoppable if nothing happens to change the situation.

If only seemed to happen when you were on one continent and area in question was on another.  Make it capable of happening in any number of circumstances.  For instance, on boarder cities all people usually either identify with one culture, or the other.  Typically, however, what happens in these situations is a "Third Way" culture, that takes aspects from both.  This should be treated as something different, and lead to a potential indpendence movement.  Religious differences could also be used.

You would have a warning ie they would petition of independence first, in which case you would get a relationship bump if you grant it.  You would be able to reconquer them, if they try to break away... but if you don't do something, it will happen.

6) Un-Nerf the Navy and air force.  I liked it when bombers and battleship could do alot of destruction to on-land, stationary targets.
Except for untradeable techs, the mod I'm playing now has all that (and much much more).  Rise of Mankind is the mod...and I have a modmod of it called A New Dawn which adds a lot of cool stuff.  If you don't keep your peeps happy, they leave.  Bombers are devastating.  Climate change happens.  And while Islam still never goes anywhere, Christianity seems to (still have the too many Jews problem though, but nowhere near as bad as Vanillla Civ IV).
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »

Several mods for Civ IV contain those elements, true.  The only idea I think I have come up with out of whole cloth is my resources idea.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies