Southeast PA town map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:31:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Southeast PA town map
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Southeast PA town map  (Read 39194 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2009, 06:28:15 PM »

Bensalem being in one of the top 25 lists for obama is surprising.  I expected him to win there, but thats a relatively strongish place there (there is a fairly strong Republican party).  Bristol Twp and Falls are not surprises as they tend to be pretty democratic.

That other thing of blue on the Bucks side of the county line, if I see it right...Upper Southhampton? Warrington?

(Langhorne Manor is an extremely small borough with very nice homes and a biblical college surrounded by my home township)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2009, 06:30:25 PM »

I think (re Lang Manor) its surrounded by middletown twp, but maybe I'm wrong.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2009, 06:32:24 PM »

Excellent. I was having troubling syncing up Staten Island and the NJ map, but you got it just right.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2009, 06:37:22 PM »

Bensalem being in one of the top 25 lists for obama is surprising.  I expected him to win there, but thats a relatively strongish place there (there is a fairly strong Republican party). 

Not anymore. Bensalem is quickly trending to the Dems. In fact, I think they not have the registration advantage. The DiGirolamo crew is worried...
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »

Bensalem being in one of the top 25 lists for obama is surprising.  I expected him to win there, but thats a relatively strongish place there (there is a fairly strong Republican party). 

Not anymore. Bensalem is quickly trending to the Dems. In fact, I think they not have the registration advantage. The DiGirolamo crew is worried...

Thats right.  Forgot about that.  Well...I think the DiGirolamo name gives them a fighting chance at least.

The county GOP needs a new plan to win back some of its old haunts (its slipping big time in Middletown, though I live in a more democratic section of it than normal)...it lost newtown again...how long before the Dems get the 2nd county commissioner?  (That scares me).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »

Thats right.  Forgot about that.  Well...I think the DiGirolamo name gives them a fighting chance at least.

The county GOP needs a new plan to win back some of its old haunts (its slipping big time in Middletown, though I live in a more democratic section of it than normal)...it lost newtown again...how long before the Dems get the 2nd county commissioner?  (That scares me).

Right. They need to move beyond the DiGi name. They're getting older and can't run things forever.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2009, 06:29:49 PM »

Compared to Long Island, which is politically similar, it's actually amazing how well the Bucks GOP has held on locally.  Despite the top of the ticket almost always going D, all State Senate seats are GOP and most of the PA House is. 
RBH

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »

Chester, PA still has a Republican mayor and city council, while the city votes 80% Democratic for major races.

So it's either really good governance, or mass bribery. One of the two.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2009, 10:36:09 PM »

Chester, PA still has a Republican mayor and city council, while the city votes 80% Democratic for major races.

A city with a 27.2% poverty rate can hardly claim good governance. At least, not in the long term.

Helps that they have an institutionalized black Republican organization dating to the pre-Civil Rights era, of course.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2009, 06:59:45 AM »

A city with a 27.2% poverty rate can hardly claim good governance. At least, not in the long term.

Helps that they have an institutionalized black Republican organization dating to the pre-Civil Rights era, of course.

Yeah, the latter must be the reason why they have a Republican Mayor and Council though I would have never guessed that they have either. Chester (the city) is a real disaster.

Even with a black GOP organization, I don't see how they have Republicans in control locally. The Mayor isn't black (as far as I know).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »

Yeah, the latter must be the reason why they have a Republican Mayor and Council though I would have never guessed that they have either. Chester (the city) is a real disaster.

Even with a black GOP organization, I don't see how they have

Republicans in control locally. The Mayor isn't black (as far as I know).

The mayor is black, actually. Or he does a damned good impression of it in photographs.

http://www.chestercity.com/mayor_butler.cfm
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »

Great work, Nordstrand. What is the Kerry-McCain township in MontCo that borders Philly?

Living fairly close to there one explanation I have is a fair number of well off white blue collar workers from the city moved there swinging it towards McCain.  It also explains some of the lower Bucks swings.  I'm surprised Lower Moreland even went for Kerry.  It always seemed fairly Catholic and conservative to me whereas Abington/Jenkintown and Upper Moreland/Willow Grove seemed more liberal.  The state Rep in Lower Moreland is a Santorum-esque conservative named Tom Murt who knocked off a socially liberal Republican Sue Cornell in 2006 over the pay raise debacle. 

Interesting...do you know anything about the NJ municipality that borders SW Philly, which appears to be the only other McCain-voting municipality that borders Philly.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2009, 12:29:39 PM by Verily »

Great work, Nordstrand. What is the Kerry-McCain township in MontCo that borders Philly?

Living fairly close to there one explanation I have is a fair number of well off white blue collar workers from the city moved there swinging it towards McCain.  It also explains some of the lower Bucks swings.  I'm surprised Lower Moreland even went for Kerry.  It always seemed fairly Catholic and conservative to me whereas Abington/Jenkintown and Upper Moreland/Willow Grove seemed more liberal.  The state Rep in Lower Moreland is a Santorum-esque conservative named Tom Murt who knocked off a socially liberal Republican Sue Cornell in 2006 over the pay raise debacle. 

Interesting...do you know anything about the NJ municipality that borders SW Philly, which appears to be the only other McCain-voting municipality that borders Philly.

That's not in NJ, that's in PA. It's Tinicum, which is where the Philly airport is. The population is under 5,000. Although he has it as Obama-voting on the initial SE PA map, so I don't know whether it actually voted for McCain or not.

At first I thought it was West Deptford, NJ, which is sprawly and far away from any bridges across the river. But West Deptford voted for Obama, and on closer inspection the town you're referring to is Tinicum.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2009, 12:32:17 PM »

That's not in NJ, that's in PA. It's Tinicum, which is where the Philly airport is. The population is under 5,000. Although he has it as Obama-voting on the initial SE PA map, so I don't know whether it actually voted for McCain or not.

At first I thought it was West Deptford, NJ, which is sprawly and far away from any bridges across the river. But West Deptford voted for Obama, and on closer inspection the town you're referring to is Tinicum.

Yeah, I was going to say, "SW Philly bordering...NJ?"  Tongue

Tinicum is mostly the airport.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2009, 12:33:46 PM »

The mayor is black, actually. Or he does a damned good impression of it in photographs.

Oh, wow. I didn't know Pileggi was Mayor there before he was elected to the Senate! How the hell did he become Mayor? That's insane.

By the way, how do you know Butler is a Republican? I don't see it in the biographyc.
RBH

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »

Oh, wow. I didn't know Pileggi was Mayor there before he was elected to the Senate! How the hell did he become Mayor? That's insane.

By the way, how do you know Butler is a Republican? I don't see it in the biographyc.

He has won re-election twice as a Republican.

So basically Chester has something that no other major American city with a majority African-American population has.. a functional Republican organization.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »

Yeah, that makes more sense. I just assumed it was in N.J. based on the first map showing only one PA municipality bordering Philly to vote for McCain.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »

So basically Chester has something that no other major American city with a majority African-American population has.. a functional Republican organization.

Very odd.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2009, 11:41:54 AM »

Yeah, that makes more sense. I just assumed it was in N.J. based on the first map showing only one PA municipality bordering Philly to vote for McCain.

Here is the cause for your confusion:

I also updated the map of just the southeast to include Philadelphia by ward as well as the official results for Delaware County (the only thing that changed is Tinicum which is now for McCain).

Apparently the earlier map had election-night results only for Delaware County.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2009, 08:04:46 AM »

Very odd.
Indeed. Anyone know if any/all of these African-American Republicans publicly and overtly supported McCain over Obama? I would assume they tried to stay very quiet on the subject but.....
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2010, 12:47:36 PM »

Very odd.
Indeed. Anyone know if any/all of these African-American Republicans publicly and overtly supported McCain over Obama? I would assume they tried to stay very quiet on the subject but.....

Bump.

Anyone know the answer to this? Chester really is quite extraordinary.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies