Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 09:22:27 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results
| | |-+  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | | |-+  The libertarian vote in '08?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The libertarian vote in '08?  (Read 1240 times)
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:55:46 pm »
Ignore

Does anyone have any data on how they voted in '08?  I've found data that showed voters describing themselves as libertarians went for Bush 72-20 and 59-36 in '00 and '04, respectively.  For 2008, I've only been able to find a pre-election poll that showed libertarians favoring Obama over McCain 53-38.

"Under the rules of morality, we have no authority to force others to behave as we believe they should, and force American citizens to pay for it, not only with dollars, but with life and limb as well.  By the rules of common sense, the role of world policemen is a dangerous game and not worth playing."  -- Congressman Ron Paul

Economic Score: +5.68
Personal Score: -3.83
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:43:18 pm »
Ignore

I voted for Obama, and I'm still relatively unapologetic about it.

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -6.43

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:45:44 pm »
Ignore

Does anyone have any data on how they voted in '08?  I've found data that showed voters describing themselves as libertarians went for Bush 72-20 and 59-36 in '00 and '04, respectively.  For 2008, I've only been able to find a pre-election poll that showed libertarians favoring Obama over McCain 53-38.

Where is this pre-election poll? How did they decide who was a libertarian? Obama was the most un-libertarian candidate in the race.
Ready For Hoover '28!
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -8.26

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:14:08 pm »
Ignore

Does anyone have any data on how they voted in '08?  I've found data that showed voters describing themselves as libertarians went for Bush 72-20 and 59-36 in '00 and '04, respectively.  For 2008, I've only been able to find a pre-election poll that showed libertarians favoring Obama over McCain 53-38.

Where is this pre-election poll? How did they decide who was a libertarian? Obama was the most un-libertarian candidate in the race.

Hey "libertarian leaning voters" voted 75% for Nixon over McGovern, doesn't mean Nixon was more libertarian than McGovern.
Just saying.

Source:
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa580.pdf
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:18:44 pm by Hussein Bin Tatal »Logged

Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:46 pm »
Ignore

Does anyone have any data on how they voted in '08?  I've found data that showed voters describing themselves as libertarians went for Bush 72-20 and 59-36 in '00 and '04, respectively.  For 2008, I've only been able to find a pre-election poll that showed libertarians favoring Obama over McCain 53-38.

Hey "libertarian leaning voters" voted 75% for Nixon over McGovern, doesn't mean Nixon was more libertarian than McGovern.
Just saying.

Source:

Of course, so you are agreeing with me, correct?
Scam of God
Einzige
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »
Ignore

Just saying.

Source:

Of course, so you are agreeing with me, correct?

The fact of the matter is that libertarians rarely vote their interests, and frequently align themselves with some pretty un-and-anti-libertarian people.

Life is change --
How it differs from the rocks
I've seen their ways
Too often for my liking

New worlds to gain
My life is to survive
And be alive
For you

- Jefferson Airplane, "Crown of Creation"

The right to die in Iraq was a right not previously possessed by Americans for twelve long years.  Bush rectified that.
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:50:52 pm »
Ignore

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/07/05/rasmussen-libertarians-favor-obama-over-mccain-5338/

It was a Rasmussen Report: those describing themselves as "fiscally conservative and socially liberal" favored Obama.  They comprised 4% of a polling census of 1500.  Not a very reliable sampling and a loose definition of the term, but I'm not surprised if many libertarians went with Obama after 8 years of Bush's excesses and McCain's liberal record.  I'd like to find some hard, post election data, but my search has been unfruitful thus far.

"Under the rules of morality, we have no authority to force others to behave as we believe they should, and force American citizens to pay for it, not only with dollars, but with life and limb as well.  By the rules of common sense, the role of world policemen is a dangerous game and not worth playing."  -- Congressman Ron Paul

Economic Score: +5.68
Personal Score: -3.83
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:07 am »
Ignore

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/01/21/the-libertarian-vote-in-the-age-of-obama/

"Libertarian voters swung away from Bush and the GOP in 2004 and 2006, but in 2008 they swung back, voting for McCain by 71 to 27 percent, presumably because the prospect of a Democratic president with a Democratic Congress in the midst of a financial crisis was frightening to small-government voters. Also, while many libertarian intellectuals had a real antipathy to McCain, the typical libertarian voter saw McCain as an independent, straight-talking maverick who was a strong opponent of earmarks and pork-barrel spending and never talked about social issues."

an imperfect study, but results seem likely

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
segwaystyle2012
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:40:10 am »
Ignore

The fact of the matter is that libertarians rarely vote their interests, and frequently align themselves with some pretty un-and-anti-libertarian people.

Why did you vote for Obama if you want libertarians to vote their interests?

Deputy Whip of the Populares

Proud Right-Libertarian!
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 12:43:33 am »
Ignore

You don't regret voting for some who hasn't withdrawn from Iraq and Afghanistan, expanded the latter war into Pakistan, continued the illegal detainment of people in Bagram Air Base and Gitmo, and approved the reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act?

Endorsements: Sen: Broun (GA), Bevin (KY), Wolf (KS), McDaniel (MS), Brannon (NC), Bright (SC)
House: Amash (MI), Massie (KY), Duncan (TN), McClintock (CA), Sanford (SC), Jones (NC), Huelskamp (KS), Loudermilk (GA), Emmer (MN), Richardson (ME), Raths (CA), DeMaio (CA), Dietzel (LA), Lonegan (NJ), Didier (WA), Mooney (WV), Mathis (AL)
Gov: LePage (ME), Coleman (AR), Melvin (AZ), Donnelly (CA)
Senator Libertas
Libertas
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:13:31 am »
Ignore

You don't regret voting for some who hasn't withdrawn from Iraq and Afghanistan, expanded the latter war into Pakistan, continued the illegal detainment of people in Bagram Air Base and Gitmo, and approved the reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act?

Of course he doesn't. All that matters to Einzige is that he has a (D) after his name.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout