The libertarian vote in '08?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:51:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  The libertarian vote in '08?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The libertarian vote in '08?  (Read 2546 times)
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2010, 07:55:46 PM »

Does anyone have any data on how they voted in '08?  I've found data that showed voters describing themselves as libertarians went for Bush 72-20 and 59-36 in '00 and '04, respectively.  For 2008, I've only been able to find a pre-election poll that showed libertarians favoring Obama over McCain 53-38.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »

I voted for Obama, and I'm still relatively unapologetic about it.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »

Does anyone have any data on how they voted in '08?  I've found data that showed voters describing themselves as libertarians went for Bush 72-20 and 59-36 in '00 and '04, respectively.  For 2008, I've only been able to find a pre-election poll that showed libertarians favoring Obama over McCain 53-38.

Where is this pre-election poll? How did they decide who was a libertarian? Obama was the most un-libertarian candidate in the race.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:14:08 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2010, 02:18:44 PM by Hussein Bin Tatal »

Does anyone have any data on how they voted in '08?  I've found data that showed voters describing themselves as libertarians went for Bush 72-20 and 59-36 in '00 and '04, respectively.  For 2008, I've only been able to find a pre-election poll that showed libertarians favoring Obama over McCain 53-38.

Where is this pre-election poll? How did they decide who was a libertarian? Obama was the most un-libertarian candidate in the race.

Hey "libertarian leaning voters" voted 75% for Nixon over McGovern, doesn't mean Nixon was more libertarian than McGovern.
Just saying.

Source:
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa580.pdf
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »

Does anyone have any data on how they voted in '08?  I've found data that showed voters describing themselves as libertarians went for Bush 72-20 and 59-36 in '00 and '04, respectively.  For 2008, I've only been able to find a pre-election poll that showed libertarians favoring Obama over McCain 53-38.

Hey "libertarian leaning voters" voted 75% for Nixon over McGovern, doesn't mean Nixon was more libertarian than McGovern.
Just saying.

Source:

Of course, so you are agreeing with me, correct?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »

Just saying.

Source:

Of course, so you are agreeing with me, correct?

The fact of the matter is that libertarians rarely vote their interests, and frequently align themselves with some pretty un-and-anti-libertarian people.
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/07/05/rasmussen-libertarians-favor-obama-over-mccain-5338/

It was a Rasmussen Report: those describing themselves as "fiscally conservative and socially liberal" favored Obama.  They comprised 4% of a polling census of 1500.  Not a very reliable sampling and a loose definition of the term, but I'm not surprised if many libertarians went with Obama after 8 years of Bush's excesses and McCain's liberal record.  I'd like to find some hard, post election data, but my search has been unfruitful thus far.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:07 AM »

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/01/21/the-libertarian-vote-in-the-age-of-obama/

"Libertarian voters swung away from Bush and the GOP in 2004 and 2006, but in 2008 they swung back, voting for McCain by 71 to 27 percent, presumably because the prospect of a Democratic president with a Democratic Congress in the midst of a financial crisis was frightening to small-government voters. Also, while many libertarian intellectuals had a real antipathy to McCain, the typical libertarian voter saw McCain as an independent, straight-talking maverick who was a strong opponent of earmarks and pork-barrel spending and never talked about social issues."

an imperfect study, but results seem likely
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »

The fact of the matter is that libertarians rarely vote their interests, and frequently align themselves with some pretty un-and-anti-libertarian people.

Why did you vote for Obama if you want libertarians to vote their interests?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 12:43:33 AM »

You don't regret voting for some who hasn't withdrawn from Iraq and Afghanistan, expanded the latter war into Pakistan, continued the illegal detainment of people in Bagram Air Base and Gitmo, and approved the reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:13:31 AM »

You don't regret voting for some who hasn't withdrawn from Iraq and Afghanistan, expanded the latter war into Pakistan, continued the illegal detainment of people in Bagram Air Base and Gitmo, and approved the reauthorization of the PATRIOT Act?

Of course he doesn't. All that matters to Einzige is that he has a (D) after his name.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies