Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:37:21 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
| | |-+  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
| | | |-+  Newspaper Endorsments
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Newspaper Endorsments  (Read 3925 times)
qwerty
ghwbush
YaBB God
View Profile
« on: October 25, 2004, 10:45:47 am »
Ignore

I strongly oppose them. I think that a news outlet should report the news, fair and balanced, and I think that by endorsing a canidate they are favoring one over the other.

This year, my local newspaper, The Press of Atlantic City, which endorsed Vice-President Gore in 2000, did not endorse a canidate, as they did in 1996 and 1984.

Who did your hometown paper endorse?
MODU
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 11:41:26 am »
Ignore

As we've discussed in two other threads, newspaper endorsements mean no more than used tp at a truck stop. 

Attention bloggers:  Join SeededBuzz and gain access to thousands of new readers.  Simply paste a link and summary of your article for community members to link back to, drawing more activity to your site.  Membership is FREE!

Visit MODU's Musings

"Anybody who doesn't appreciate what America has done and President Bush, let them go to hell." - Betty Dawisha, Iraqi vote
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 11:44:57 am »
Ignore

As we've discussed in two other threads, newspaper endorsements mean no more than used tp at a truck stop. 

Maybe so, but I suppose they are nice to have for any candidate.

Dave

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
MODU
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 11:47:36 am »
Ignore

I don't think so.  It just means that the newspaper has sold their editorial soul to a political party, and that isn't what journalism is all about.

Just another reason on my list of why I hate the media.

Attention bloggers:  Join SeededBuzz and gain access to thousands of new readers.  Simply paste a link and summary of your article for community members to link back to, drawing more activity to your site.  Membership is FREE!

Visit MODU's Musings

"Anybody who doesn't appreciate what America has done and President Bush, let them go to hell." - Betty Dawisha, Iraqi vote
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 11:52:21 am »
Ignore

I'll be honest. Editorials seldom have any impact on my opinion.

Dave

Moderate Liberal Populist Smiley [Personal 45%/Economic 42%] / Defense 'Hawk'

Registered in Georgia for Fantasy Politics
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 12:48:18 pm »
Ignore

Should they? Maybe not, depends on the paper I suppose, some are fair and objective and others are just plain biased. Should they be able to? Absolutely without a shadow of a doubt.

elcorazon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 12:53:54 pm »
Ignore

Chicago Tribune endorsed Bush.
Chicago Sun-Times endorsed Kerry.

I think endorsements in presidential races are anachronistic.  From what I understand the Trib has endorsed the Republican every election since 1872. 

"The most important thing to remember is, no matter what anybody tells you, it is never, ever unpatriotic or un-American to question anything in a democracy"
Bogart
bogart414
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 02:37:19 pm »
Ignore

Arizona Republic endorsed Bush.

I think endorsements are fine, so long as they appear on the editorial page where they belong. I don't really see them as much different from a regular editorial.  Many are not a surprise and none have very much impact.

Economic score: -0.65
Social score: -2.61

Andrew
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 08:29:05 pm »
Ignore

I think endorsements are helpful in deciding the down-ballot races.  I like to read both the endorsement editorials and the race profiles in the Detroit Free Press, Detroit News, Port Huron Times Herald, and Lansing State Journal, as well as the profiles in my local weekly.  The profiles help me get hard-to-find information on the candidates and often feature their responses to various questions of interest; the endorsements allow me to see the arguments both for and against the various candidates.  And anytime the News and the Free Press endorse the same candidate, I give them an extra look (the two papers have very different points of view).

I've never been undecided about a Presidential election this late in the game--but if I were, I'd be interested in reading the endorsements of various papers.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 08:57:10 pm »
Ignore

It can, because of the newspaper's history.  For example, the Phila Tribune is the oldest Black owned newspaper in the US.  In Phila, if it endorsed a Republican over a Democrat, or a White candidate over a Black one, as it does at times, it's usually good for a few points. 

It's almost as if a few voters will look and say, "Well, if they say he's okay, he must be okay."  It happened with Ridge in '94 for the governor's race.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
ncjake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 08:58:16 pm »
Ignore

The Miami Herald endorsed Kerry. They are trying to become the paper of record for all of Florida and the Carribean, even if it means pissing off the city they are in. Miami is pretty conservative, it's every city around us that's liberal. One of the few places where the inner city is strongly GOP and the suburbs are Dem strongholds.

I'm going to try and have one more go at this!
shankbear

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 09:22:10 pm »
Ignore

These endorsements are VANITIES.  They do not sway voters.

Remember, we never lost a battle on the field in Vietnam, we lost the will to win the war.  Never repeat it!!!
rbt48
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 09:50:15 pm »
Ignore

Endorsements used to mean much more than they do today.  The print media is less important as a source of news compared to what it was 40 to 50 years ago.  Ironically, I think it was the NYC newspaper strike in 1962-63 that went a long way to pushing television to the more prominent role it plays in how people get their news.  Growing up in that metro area, I remember how the lengthy strike led the TV networks to expand the national news from 15 to 30 minutes and the same for local news as well.  When the strike ended, they never cut back, though the number of NYC daily papers immediately went from 7 to 4, then to 3 a few years later.

The Omaha World-Herald endorsed Bush in a lengthy editorial a week ago Sunday.  Today their statewide poll has Bush leading Kerry 61 to 32%, with an Omaha margin of 57 to 36%.  I guess they are aware of who the bulk of their subscribers are supporting.

black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 09:51:27 pm »
Ignore

Star Tribune endorsed Kerry. Anyone shocked? It's not exactly a secret that the Star Tribune is ultra-hardcore left wing extremist though.

Mankato Free Press also endorsed Kerry, while it's not quite as biased as the STrib, it's still pretty liberal.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
shankbear

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 10:01:33 pm »
Ignore

is that the Red Star Tribune?  I saw that on another site.  Thought it was funny.

Remember, we never lost a battle on the field in Vietnam, we lost the will to win the war.  Never repeat it!!!
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 12:36:44 pm »
Ignore

How big is their editorial board? If it's more than 5, that's not possible - there aren't that many Democrats in Idaho. Wink

The entire Statesman is run by Democrats.

There can't be too many Democrats, because the Statesman has endorsed the Republican presidential candidate in at least the last three elections.

In other irrelevant newpaper endorsement switch news, The Billings Gazette (MT) switched from Bush to Kerry, and the Sioux Falls Argus Leader (SD) switched from Gore to Bush.

Perhaps more importantly, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, which endorsed Bush in 2000, will not endorse a candidate this year.  Here's the story behind it:

The Cleveland Plain Dealer declined to endorse a WH candidate today after a long road of deliberation saying, "we have decided not to add one more potentially polarizing voice to a poisoned debate." Editor and Publisher revealed last week that the paper wanted to endorse John Kerry, but Publisher Alex Machaskee, who has the final say, preferred Bush. Most of the editorial board on the Plain Dealer favored backing Mr. Kerry, but the publisher, Alex Machaskee, is a Serbian-American and reportedly feared that if elected, Kerry would give a top diplomatic spot to Richard Holbrooke, who the newspaper executive dislikes for his earlier role in the Balkans (Hunt, Wall Street Journal, 10/26). The paper indicated Monday that they had not yet chosen a candidate for endorsement but that a decision would be made "later this week." Since Sunday, the Plain Dealer had been deluged with e-mails that came not just from readers, but from all over the country. When asked whether public opinion had any bearing on the paper's decision process in choosing a candidate, the response was, "Not even a little bit" (Moynihan, Editor and Publisher, 10/25).
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 12:56:05 pm »
Ignore

It just means that the newspaper has sold their editorial soul to a political party, and that isn't what journalism is all about.

No... it's exactly what journalism is about. Shouldn't be, but is.
Mind you, U.S Newspapers have nothing on the partisan crap papers over here spout

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Redefeatbush04
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 04:38:08 pm »
Ignore

I believe THE TRENTON TIMES endorsed Kerry.

Here are 2 NH newspapers:

Concord Monitor (Kerry)
Union Leader (Bush)

Man is by nature a political animal - Aristotle
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout