WinDis Polls - 1: Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:02:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  WinDis Polls - 1: Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Poll
Question: What is your position on abortion?
Pro-life

Pro-choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: WinDis Polls - 1: Abortion  (Read 11616 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2010, 03:11:16 PM »

Pro-life is still pro-choice. Creating a child is a choice in all non-rape instances so you can make that choice beforehand.

In other words our euphemisms for policy positions are imperfect.

I don't consider pro-abortionists anything more than anti-life, really. Pro-choice is a euphemism but pro-life is a more proper term for what we do consider pro-life.

Good for you. Just don't expect to convince anyone of the correctness of your position by telling them that the alternative is "anti-life" & that your position is really "pro-choice" as well.

But segwaystyle is 100% correct. The pro-life position is also the 'pro-choice' position.

Support for abortion-on-demand is pro-death and anti-life.

In your final vocabulary, not mine. Quit pretending that your views can be generalized to other people, please.

This is universal truth, not just 'my' views.

Universal truth is a theistic notion. I have no interest in such wares.

That's fine, as long as your views don't result in harm to others, as is the case, for example, with abortion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »

Pro-life is still pro-choice. Creating a child is a choice in all non-rape instances so you can make that choice beforehand.

I don't consider pro-abortionists anything more than anti-life, really. Pro-choice is a euphemism but pro-life is a more proper term for what we do consider pro-life.

Good for you. Just don't expect to convince anyone of the correctness of your position by telling them that the alternative is "anti-life" & that your position is really "pro-choice" as well.

But segwaystyle is 100% correct. The pro-life position is also the 'pro-choice' position.

In your final vocabulary, not mine. Quit pretending that your views can be generalized to other people, please.

That's fine, as long as your views don't result in harm to others, as is the case, for example, with abortion.

Because everyone should be restricted from what they view as a harmless activity because some subset of the population thinks that it's horrible, eh?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »

Because everyone should be restricted from what they view as a harmless activity because some subset of the population thinks that it's horrible, eh?

A murderer may view his action as harmless, but that is not relevant to the morality and acceptability of the action.

Following your logic, all crimes should be legalized, since there will always be two competing subsets of the population, the criminals and the just.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2010, 03:23:20 PM »

A murderer may view his action as harmless, but that is not relevant to the morality and acceptability of the action.

Following your logic, all crimes should be legalized, since there will always be two competing subsets of the population, the criminals and the just.

Besides the point. Many people deny that the fetus should be entitled to the rights of an adult human. From the perspective of an atheist libertarian, there isn't really any sensible reason why they would be. What you are suggesting is forcing your own Judeo-Christian set of values on people who don't subscribe to them. That's what we call theocracy in my neck of woods.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »

^^^^
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »

Besides the point. Many people deny that the fetus should be entitled to the rights of an adult human. From the perspective of an atheist libertarian, there isn't really any sensible reason why they would be. What you are suggesting is forcing your own Judeo-Christian set of values on people who don't subscribe to them. That's what we call theocracy in my neck of woods.

No, its not besides the point. Of course a murderer would deny that his/her victim is entitled to human rights. Irrelevant.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »

PiT must think Hitler was justified too, because we can't force our anti-murder theocratic views on the Nazis.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »

PiT must think Hitler was justified too, because we can't force our anti-murder theocratic views on the Nazis.

Uh oh, Godwin's law!
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »

Uh oh, Godwin's law!

Nice to see you bring something constructive. Why not legalize all murders then?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »

Yeah, the Nazis saw what they were doing as harmless; who cares that some subset of the population saw what they were doing as horrible.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2010, 05:02:41 PM »

Uh oh, Godwin's law!

Nice to see you bring something constructive. Why not legalize all murders then?

Because murder involves killing a being with feelings. Foetuses cannot feel pain, at least not in the early stages of pregnancy.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »

Uh oh, Godwin's law!

Because murder involves killing a being with feelings. Foetuses cannot feel pain, at least not in the early stages of pregnancy.

That is a rather arbitrary definition. In fact a human being has the right to life from the moment of conception, regardless of whether he or she can feel pain.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »

Uh oh, Godwin's law!

That is a rather arbitrary definition. In fact a human being has the right to life from the moment of conception, regardless of whether he or she can feel pain.

Then why do we date our lives from date of birth rather than conception?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »

Uh oh, Godwin's law!

Custom. We measure specifically from our birthday, not from the day we became human life endowed with natural rights.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »

Uh oh, Godwin's law!

Custom. We measure specifically from our birthday, not from the day we became human life endowed with natural rights.

Once more, with feeling: there are no natural rights. There are only natural liberties. "Rights" is another word for "soul" or "identity", and neither of these concepts can be quantified, and are based entirely on superstitious, metaphysical premises that deny the reality of the physical world in favor of some Platonic Ideal.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »

Uh oh, Godwin's law!

Once more, with feeling: there are no natural rights. There are only natural liberties. "Rights" is another word for "soul" or "identity", and neither of these concepts can be quantified, and are based entirely on superstitious, metaphysical premises that deny the reality of the physical world in favor of some Platonic Ideal.

Incorrect. There are natural rights, and all human beings are endowed with them by Our Creator.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2010, 06:38:22 PM »

Uh oh, Godwin's law!

Incorrect. There are natural rights, and all human beings are endowed with them by Our Creator.

As I've already said, the concept of "natural rights" is based entirely on metaphysical superstition that values the immaterial realm beyond the sensitive and sensible world of the flesh.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2010, 06:43:44 PM »

No, its not besides the point. Of course a murderer would deny that his/her victim is entitled to human rights. Irrelevant.

Yes, because most people commit murders because they think that their victims aren't human. Couldn't be factors like greed or anger. Roll Eyes

Nevermind that you ignored my point that the concept of a fetus being entitled to the rights of an adult human just doesn't make sense from a secular perspective, that being why the pro-life position is theocratic.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »

In fact a human being has the right to life from the moment of conception, regardless of whether he or she can feel pain.

I take it then that you also oppose in vitro fertilization, at least as currently done, since it involves discarding quite a few embryos along the way, as well as discarding the leftovers once a couple is satisfied that they have all the children they want (or are going to get).
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »

By now, everyone probably knows how I voted. Smiley
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »

Yes, because most people commit murders because they think that their victims aren't human. Couldn't be factors like greed or anger. Roll Eyes

Nevermind that you ignored my point that the concept of a fetus being entitled to the rights of an adult human just doesn't make sense from a secular perspective, that being why the pro-life position is theocratic.

Would you stop with this inane and senseless "theocratic" argument? It's only making you look foolish.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2010, 07:32:12 PM »

In fact a human being has the right to life from the moment of conception, regardless of whether he or she can feel pain.

I take it then that you also oppose in vitro fertilization, at least as currently done, since it involves discarding quite a few embryos along the way, as well as discarding the leftovers once a couple is satisfied that they have all the children they want (or are going to get).

I'm not a fan of that practice, no.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2010, 07:37:53 PM »

Would you stop with this inane and senseless "theocratic" argument? It's only making you look foolish.

You are projecting your religious views into the void, and, consequently, onto us. This is quite the definition of coercion.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2010, 07:38:30 PM »

You are projecting your religious views into the void, and, consequently, onto us. This is quite the definition of coercion.

All laws against murder are enforced by coercion. Sorry.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2010, 07:41:34 PM »

All laws against murder are enforced by coercion. Sorry.

And I do indeed question whether most of the laws against murder are themselves legitimate. I certainly don't believe, as you evidently do, that one's humanity is readily defined and static throughout the entirety of one's bodily existence.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies