The U.S. government intentionally adulterated alcohol during Prohibition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:52:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The U.S. government intentionally adulterated alcohol during Prohibition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The U.S. government intentionally adulterated alcohol during Prohibition  (Read 7719 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »
« edited: February 28, 2010, 01:52:28 PM by Scam of God »

Source

You must be logged in to read this quote.

More at the link.

Now, this was slightly different from our modern policy of enforced adulteration of all non-beverage alcohol (methanol, which is what the article in question is referring to, is denatured even today to discourage consumption of it). Nevertheless, this does seem to justify modern paranoia with regards to our other great modern morality crusade, the "War on Drugs".
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:33:15 PM »

Disgusting, but not particularly surprising from our government.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 04:09:53 PM »

I think this can be summed up as 'WTF Coolidge?'
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 04:37:06 PM »

I think this can be summed up as 'WTF Coolidge?'

I don't know that Coolidge had much to do with this.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »

Typical. Just like the government's policy of drug prohibition leads to the deaths of thousands every year from impure drugs. Every President since Nixon Roosevelt Wilson has the blood of drug addicts on their hands.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »

Typical. Just like the government's policy of drug prohibition leads to the deaths of thousands every year from impure drugs. Every President since Nixon Roosevelt Wilson has the blood of drug addicts on their hands.

I support drug legalization...but seriously, nobody is at fault for what happens but the people that use the drugs.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »

I support drug legalization...but seriously, nobody is at fault for what happens but the people that use the drugs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:59:54 PM »

blah blah blah government is bad blah blah blah
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:43:21 AM »

Why yes, I believe that any State which means to poison its citizens is, by definition, "bad".
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 05:38:44 AM »

If you don't think there is something wrong with the government poisoning people, I think you need to move out of the Western world.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 05:46:05 AM »

Many people die because of impure drugs and it's the government's fault for trying to punish rather than rehabilitate them.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 05:54:19 AM »

Many people die because of impure drugs and it's the government's fault for trying to punish rather than rehabilitate them.

With all due respect, the person that decides to get hooked on drugs is still the person responsible for his own situation.

That said, legalization of drugs would make sense in my opinion...but it certainly isn't the government's fault that people get addicted to drugs in the first place.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:57:06 AM »

With all due respect, the person that decides to get hooked on drugs is still the person responsible for his own situation.

That said, legalization of drugs would make sense in my opinion...but it certainly isn't the government's fault that people get addicted to drugs in the first place.

Yes, but they lose responsibility don't they? They're addicted and if the government catches them, they're thrown in jail rather than helped.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 06:00:19 AM »

Yes, I agree. But it still doesn't mean the government is ultimately responsible for drug usage Smiley
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 06:00:49 AM »

Yes, I agree. But it still doesn't mean the government is ultimately responsible for drug usage Smiley

I know that, just checking Wink
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 06:04:34 AM »

Source

More at the link.

Now, this was slightly different from our modern policy of enforced adulteration of all non-beverage alcohol (methanol, which is what the article in question is referring to, is denatured even today to discourage consumption of it). Nevertheless, this does seem to justify modern paranoia with regards to our other great modern morality crusade, the "War on Drugs".
Methyl alcohol isn't industrial alcohol and isn't denatured - it's used for denaturing alcohol, being far more poisons than any of the compounds of the list.  Most of those who were poisoned died from methanol (blindness is the telling symptom).
And the citation is not from the article.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »

Source

More at the link.

Methyl alcohol isn't industrial alcohol and isn't denatured - it's used for denaturing alcohol, being far more poisons than any of the compounds of the list.  Most of those who were poisoned died from methanol (blindness is the telling symptom).

I'm not saying it's adulterated to make it more poisonous. I'm saying it's adulterated to make it less palatable to alcoholics who might otherwise be inclined to drink it.

I know.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 09:16:45 PM »

Big Bad GOBVERNMENT WANTS YOUR MONEY......RUNNNNNZ
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 03:47:41 AM »

So we're paranoid because we're disgusted that the government poisoned people?

This is why I have no respect for most left wingers.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 04:02:25 AM »

Source

More at the link.

I'm not saying it's adulterated to make it more poisonous. I'm saying it's adulterated to make it less palatable to alcoholics who might otherwise be inclined to drink it.

I know.

So what you're saying is that the government forcing the adulteration of methanol in order to discourage consumption of it (since it is very dangerous even in an unadulterated form and can cause blindness and death) is the same thing as the government purposely poisoning otherwise non-lethal alcohols to discourage consumption?

Something doesn't connect here.  They seem to be quite the opposite in intent... especially when any good alchie knows the mouthwash aisle like the back of his hand.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 09:21:41 AM »

So we're paranoid because we're disgusted that the government poisoned people?

This is why I have no respect for most left wingers.

Ah yes....

http://motherjones.com/politics/1977/09/pinto-madness
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »

Yes? How does that make the government's murdering of civilians any better? I know damn well that corporations do dastardly things which is why my economic score is so low. Nevertheless, it does not justify this.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 03:02:53 PM »

Yes? How does that make the government's murdering of civilians any better? I know damn well that corporations do dastardly things which is why my economic score is so low. Nevertheless, it does not justify this.

Is your mistrust of private industry just as high as that of the government?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 05:10:39 PM »

Is your mistrust of private industry just as high as that of the government?

Not quite.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies