When will the GOP next nominate a pro-abortion candidate for President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 08:06:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  When will the GOP next nominate a pro-abortion candidate for President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
2012-2028

2032-2048

2052-2068

2072-2088

2092-2100

After 2100

Never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: When will the GOP next nominate a pro-abortion candidate for President?  (Read 1965 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2010, 09:00:42 PM »

For reference, the only time the GOP has in the past was in 1976, with Ford.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »

That's an inaccurate statement.

And 2012.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »

That's an inaccurate statement.

Then make it accurate.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:23:07 PM »

When abortion rights become even more mainstream and accepted then they are now, probably in the 2020s and at the latest, 2030s.

I'm not sure that will happen. According to several polls, younger voters have approximately the same views on abortion as the older generation. Some polls even suggest that younger voters are slightly more pro-life. Thus, I don't see opinions on abortion changing anytime soon, especially considering that the younger generation grew up in a much more liberal environment than the older generation.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:37:24 PM »

When abortion rights become even more mainstream and accepted then they are now, probably in the 2020s and at the latest, 2030s.

No.

The pro-life cause will win out in the end. Murder of unborn children will never become "mainstream" and "accepted".
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:38:08 PM »

I'm not sure that will happen. According to several polls, younger voters have approximately the same views on abortion as the older generation. Some polls even suggest that younger voters are slightly more pro-life. Thus, I don't see opinions on abortion changing anytime soon, especially considering that the younger generation grew up in a much more liberal environment than the older generation.

None of that matters. Over time, more socially liberal generations emerge, and old "conservative" beliefs are struck down. The cycle, as always, will repeat itself.

You say this though all trends show the opposite? I am curious as to how you come to the conclusion that pro-choice views are increasing.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:49:08 PM »

No.

The pro-life cause will win out in the end. Murder of unborn children will never become "mainstream" and "accepted".

I actually agree with Libertas here.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:57:52 PM »

None of that matters. Over time, more socially liberal generations emerge, and old "conservative" beliefs are struck down. The cycle, as always, will repeat itself.

You say this though all trends show the opposite? I am curious as to how you come to the conclusion that pro-choice views are increasing.

I never said that they were increasing at the moment, I just said that they would become gradually more accepted over time. The 2020s time-frame was probably wrong, now that I think about it, it will be by mid-century. And of course, I am speaking of the world, not America.

The world is more conservative than America on social issues.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:04:31 PM »

I never said that they were increasing at the moment, I just said that they would become gradually more accepted over time. The 2020s time-frame was probably wrong, now that I think about it, it will be by mid-century. And of course, I am speaking of the world, not America.

The world is more conservative than America on social issues.

Obviously. Europe will have accepted far before America does, and Africa, South America, and Asia (as a whole) will eventually accept it later then America does.

Why are you acting as if the world becoming pro-abortion is inevitable when there is no evidence to suggest that? Huh
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »

Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:00:23 AM »

Ford was not a pro-abortion candidate in 1976. I thought it was pretty obvious that that was what I was saying. Actually neither candidate in '76 expressed "pro-choice" sentiments.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »

In this particular case, I think you're very much wrong, and I'm as pro-choice as they come.  Abortion will still be debated widely for decades to come, and there won't be a strong movement one way or the other.  This is in contrast to the gay rights issue, which I'm confident will be more or less decided (if not "over" in some circles) within the next two decades in favor of de jure equality.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 01:10:15 AM »

In this particular case, I think you're very much wrong, and I'm as pro-choice as they come.  Abortion will still be debated widely for decades to come, and there won't be a strong movement one way or the other.  This is in contrast to the gay rights issue, which I'm confident will be more or less decided (if not "over" in some circles) within the next two decades in favor of de jure equality.

Yes, abortion and gay rights are on two different planes entirely. I am pro-life and pro-gay rights.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 01:17:24 AM »

Yes, abortion and gay rights are on two different planes entirely. I am pro-life and pro-gay rights.

Same here.
21st Century Independent
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 03:48:04 AM »

If it meant defeating Obama in 2012 then you bet your life.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »

Romney in 2012
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies