Obama Signs One-Year Extension of Patriot Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:08:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Signs One-Year Extension of Patriot Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama Signs One-Year Extension of Patriot Act  (Read 4509 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »

I never thought I'd say this, but I've really been pining for the days of the Clinton Administration lately. Perhaps it was youthful ignorance, but he just didn't seem to be as much of an authoritarian as Bush or Obama.
Bill Clinton wanted the PATRIOT Act but Joe Biden couldn't get it through Congress in the 90s. 9/11 gave them the excuse they needed.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 08:51:22 AM »

I never thought I'd say this, but I've really been pining for the days of the Clinton Administration lately. Perhaps it was youthful ignorance, but he just didn't seem to be as much of an authoritarian as Bush or Obama.
Bill Clinton wanted the PATRIOT Act but Joe Biden couldn't get it through Congress in the 90s. 9/11 gave them the excuse they needed.

Perfect. Now all conservative complicity in the formation of PATRIOT can be totally denied and completely neglected in favor of the goodthoughtful right-wing vision of history: America didn't actually exist between 2001 and 2009. Therefore, nothing in it happened.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »

Perfect. Now all conservative complicity in the formation of PATRIOT can be totally denied and completely neglected in favor of the goodthoughtful right-wing vision of history: America didn't actually exist between 2001 and 2009. Therefore, nothing in it happened.

Oh look, I insulted Saint Clinton by mentioning historical fact. Of course Einzige has to show up to defend his fellow Democrats who have done so much to advance civil liberties in the United States...Roll Eyes
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 08:59:03 AM »

Oh look, I insulted Saint Clinton by mentioning historical fact. Of course Einzige has to show up to defend his fellow Democrats who have done so much to advance civil liberties in the United States...Roll Eyes

Alright, it's historical fact. Prove it.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »

"Anti-terror" legislation
You must be logged in to read this quote.

PATRIOT Actor. Don't use drugs? Never fear: Biden knows how to restrict your liberties, too. As The New Republic's Michael Crowley pointed out a month after the 9/11 attacks:

In 1995 Joe Biden Basically Wrote The PATRIOT Act.

Message to the Congress Transmitting Proposed Legislation To Combat Terrorism
February 9, 1995

Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 09:08:07 AM »

Wow! What an authoritarian measure!

Do I see any phone-tapping? No. Do I see any domestic counter-terrorist measures here whatsoever? No. All I see is you intentionally conflating one bill with another to make a partisan statement justifying your obedience to the GOP.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »

Do I see any phone-tapping? No. Do I see any domestic counter-terrorist measures here whatsoever? No. All I see is you intentionally conflating one bill with another to make a partisan statement justifying your obedience to the GOP.

Um, no. Unlike you, I criticize both major parties since I am an independent libertarian, not a Democrat partisan hack dependent on Democratic handouts.

And yes, that is an authoritarian measure, which I see you support because Democrats advocated it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:52 AM »

Imagine that...

People, can we stop acting surprised now?  Obama is not a progressive in any sense of the word, and certainly not in regards to foreign policy and national security. The Patriot Act isn't going anywhere for a very long time.

Yup. 2008 was the best opportunity to elect a progressive in 32 years, and it was wasted on some useless moderate hero.

Would Hillary have been a more useful moderate hero?

No

All troubles with Obama does not mean she is any was better.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 09:14:57 AM »

Um, no. Unlike you, I criticize both major parties since I am an independent libertarian, not a Democrat partisan hack dependent on Democratic handouts.

You'll prove that I'm on handouts or you will post an apology.

Uh, no. It establishes a court system to try terrorists; it doesn't engage in direct counter-terrorist measures, no provide any mechanism to engage in them. Do you understand why it might be a good thing to have these institutions?

Once again you demonstrate your fealty to the GOP by neglecting their mistakes. Unlike you, I'm capable of admitting my allegiances.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »

I'll say and do whatever the hell I want to, hypocrite.

Hahahahaha, fake 'libertarian'.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 09:35:55 AM »

I'll say and do whatever the hell I want to, hypocrite.

So will I, and I'll say that you're a Catholic because you're secretly a homosexual pedophile.

Doesn't make it any more true, does it?

You're the pro-lifer, 'friend'.
perdedor

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 09:55:48 AM »

Imagine that...

People, can we stop acting surprised now?  Obama is not a progressive in any sense of the word, and certainly not in regards to foreign policy and national security. The Patriot Act isn't going anywhere for a very long time.

Yup. 2008 was the best opportunity to elect a progressive in 32 years, and it was wasted on some useless moderate hero. Obama was a major mistake. Not that the other top-tier primary candidates were any better. Carter was a conservative Democrat challenged from the left by Ted Kennedy, when he was President, and now he'd be too liberal to get the nomination. American politics is garbage.

Quite. That said, it's laughable to think that there is any inkling of a liberal movement in this country.  America is one of the most conservative countries on Earth and this is the extent of 'American Liberalism'. It's our populous, terrified of change and any solution that doesn't include a profit line for somebody, as that would imply the motive is far worse? I think it's time that we start looking into relocation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies