yo who here wants to teach me the very basics of calculus and statistics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:33:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  yo who here wants to teach me the very basics of calculus and statistics?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: yo who here wants to teach me the very basics of calculus and statistics?  (Read 1748 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:52:45 PM »

I am reading up on it,but go right ahead and make my day.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2010, 11:32:39 PM by phknrocket1k »

www.salkhan.com <--- Very smart guy that I know.

I recommend in addition to Calc and Stats to learn Linear Algebra and Diff Eqs and learn to read and write proofs like a math major.

Btw after watching these tutorials, go buy a book and a solutions manual and work through problems.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:47 PM »

I recommend in addition to Calc and Stats to learn Linear Algebra and Diff Eqs and learn to read and write proofs like a math major.

Btw after watching these tutorials, go buy a book and a solutions manual and work through problems.

the first and third videos were the easiest,but that is all i am going to do for today. I wonder how economists would use these?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »

You know Sal Khan?

He has some very good economics/banking videos up on YouTube as well. If you're willing to sit through a couple hours.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:22:08 PM »

You know Sal Khan?

He has some very good economics/banking videos up on YouTube as well. If you're willing to sit through a couple hours.

Yeah, I know him through my dad's friend.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »

the first and third videos were the easiest,but that is all i am going to do for today. I wonder how economists would use these?

When you learn calculus, let me know, so I can email you my undergraduate lecture slides. You'll see the Calculus applied, especially in Micro.

A lot of Macro uses Linear Algebra which undergrad Macro in the US at least doesn't do.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »

An internet forum is about the worst place to teach calculus and stats. If you want a good guide to the basics, pick up AP Test guides for the two subjects. They're generally more readily understandable than a traditional textbook, and they usually have plenty of problems for you to work out on your own.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:12 AM »

An internet forum is about the worst place to teach calculus and stats. If you want a good guide to the basics, pick up AP Test guides for the two subjects. They're generally more readily understandable than a traditional textbook, and they usually have plenty of problems for you to work out on your own.

That's fairly good too. I just reccomended videos and than to buy a book or you can just download problems. There are good flash tools for learning early calculus topics such as limits and derivatives.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:44:31 PM »

I'm always happy to answer any questions, but I agree that you should start with a written or recorded tutorial to start. I assume from the placement of this thread, that you are looking to use calc and stats in econ. Is there a particular subject within that field you are looking at?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2010, 02:02:55 PM by phknrocket1k »

Do you have an email address? I have some PDFs that could be of use to you.

It's the Calculus and Economics series of PDF's that were on some college's website but now have been taken down.

http://www.albion.edu/econ/christiansen/micwcalc/screen1.pdf <--- the first one.

It's purely Calculus at first and will apply it to Econ later.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »

So, let's see...3 semesters of Calculus (with 1 Semester of Linear Algebra taken in the 2nd semester of Calculus), 1 semester Stats and 1 semester of Diffy-Q....that's 5 semesters to cover 6 math classes....that takes you halfway through the junior year of a EE program.

the chances of learning all of this in a self-study program are next to nil.  you'll lose interest in a couple of weeks unless your butt is on the line.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 02:54:21 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2010, 03:06:12 PM by phknrocket1k »

So, let's see...3 semesters of Calculus (with 1 Semester of Linear Algebra taken in the 2nd semester of Calculus), 1 semester Stats and 1 semester of Diffy-Q....that's 5 semesters to cover 6 math classes....that takes you halfway through the junior year of a EE program.

the chances of learning all of this in a self-study program are next to nil.  you'll lose interest in a couple of weeks unless your butt is on the line.

I dunno, my school was on the quarter system, so...

11 = Stats
20A = Diff Calc
20B = Integral Calc
20C = Multivar Calc
20D = Diff Eqs
20F = Linear Alg
109 = Reasoning (proofs)

At its longest, 1 at a time is a 2.333 year sequence.

Shortest is 1 year for the first 4, and one quarter for 20D and 20F and another for 109.  So 1.666 years.

I'v always thought the semester system was inefficient with respect to Math classes.

For the EE kids its just 20ABCDEF. With 20E being Vector Calc, which Econ kids don't need (I think).

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »

the chances of learning all of this in a self-study program are next to nil.  you'll lose interest in a couple of weeks unless your butt is on the line.

11 = Stats
20A = Diff Calc
20B = Integral Calc
20C = Multivar Calc
20D = Diff Eqs
20F = Linear Alg
109 = Reasoning (proofs)

is a 2 year sequence, assuming you take Stats with one of them.

Shortest is 1 year for the first 4, and one quarter for 20D and 20F and another for 109.  So 1.666 years.

I'v always thought the semester system was inefficient with respect to Math classes.

actually, a third semester of Calculus is not needed to take DiffyQ...so it could be crammed into 2 years...I think this coincided with my Applied Electromagnetics class, which is probably the class I had to study the most for...wish we would have had the internet back then (late 80's), because my text book sucked and didn't spend nearly enough time in introducing complex vectors.  it was a major weed class.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:17:14 PM »

11 = Stats
20A = Diff Calc
20B = Integral Calc
20C = Multivar Calc
20D = Diff Eqs
20F = Linear Alg
109 = Reasoning (proofs)

is a 2 year sequence, assuming you take Stats with one of them.

actually, a third semester of Calculus is not needed to take DiffyQ...so it could be crammed into 2 years...I think this coincided with my Applied Electromagnetics class, which is probably the class I had to study the most for...wish we would have had the internet back then (late 80's), because my text book sucked and didn't spend nearly enough time in introducing complex vectors.  it was a major weed class.

Did you have a Vector Calc class?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »

we covered a lot of vector analysis in Linear Algebra and in Calculus II and III...but the textbook we used for Applied Electromagnetism spent only one section (Section 1.1 - the very first section) on complex vectors and when you're talking imaginary components and Maxwell's equations, it's time to slow down and spend a little more time than a single section on complex vectors because if you don't get how they apply then you're toast.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:04 PM »

we covered a lot of vector analysis in Linear Algebra and in Calculus II and III...but the textbook we used for Applied Electromagnetism spent only one section (Section 1.1 - the very first section) on complex vectors and when you're talking imaginary components and Maxwell's equations, it's time to slow down and spend a little more time than a single section on complex vectors because if you don't get how they apply then you're toast.

OK makes sense.

The quarter system allows for a separate class while in semesters, the curriculum is integrated throughout.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 11:15:17 PM »

11 = Stats
20A = Diff Calc
20B = Integral Calc
20C = Multivar Calc
20D = Diff Eqs
20F = Linear Alg
109 = Reasoning (proofs)

For the EE kids its just 20ABCDEF. With 20E being Vector Calc, which Econ kids don't need (I think)

It will be interesting to see how long this sequence hold up. If it wasn't for engineering accreditation it might be changing more rapidly. The issue is the amount of time spent on techniques of differential and integral forms, which are usually not about theoretical proof, but rather drill in technique. The extent of the drill is overdone in the 21st century, so that in principle the techniques of integral calculus could largely be folded into the first and third courses in the traditional sequence, with some deferred to dif eq.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 12:03:39 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2010, 01:38:05 PM by phknrocket1k »

11 = Stats
20A = Diff Calc
20B = Integral Calc
20C = Multivar Calc
20D = Diff Eqs
20F = Linear Alg
109 = Reasoning (proofs)

For the EE kids its just 20ABCDEF. With 20E being Vector Calc, which Econ kids don't need (I think)

It will be interesting to see how long this sequence hold up. If it wasn't for engineering accreditation it might be changing more rapidly. The issue is the amount of time spent on techniques of differential and integral forms, which are usually not about theoretical proof, but rather drill in technique. The extent of the drill is overdone in the 21st century, so that in principle the techniques of integral calculus could largely be folded into the first and third courses in the traditional sequence, with some deferred to dif eq.

and herein lies the main difference between Econ Math and Engineering Math. What would be drilled in technique with respect to Econ Math is done on a computer anyway.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:22 PM »

the chances of learning all of this in a self-study program are next to nil.  you'll lose interest in a couple of weeks unless your butt is on the line.

my interest in the subject isn't dead and i take notes on a pad of paper. Right now I understand the very basics of calculus. Like I understand that the derivative of x^2 is 2X, and that Derivatives are primarily used to find the slope of a curve.

I will admit that my enthusiasm for the videos have waned, but I am just merely looking for as many resources as I can right now. I am still in the preliminary stages, but I need to learn some basic techniques that will help me sharpen my skills. For example when I am outside I will sometimes look at something that is sloped or whatever.

I only have these videos but after that I am still left with question "where do i start and where do I began?". Learning all of this on my own will be slow, but it cant hurt.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »

my interest in the subject isn't dead and i take notes on a pad of paper. Right now I understand the very basics of calculus. Like I understand that the derivative of x^2 is 2X, and that Derivatives are primarily used to find the slope of a curve.

I will admit that my enthusiasm for the videos have waned, but I am just merely looking for as many resources as I can right now. I am still in the preliminary stages, but I need to learn some basic techniques that will help me sharpen my skills. For example when I am outside I will sometimes look at something that is sloped or whatever.

I only have these videos but after that I am still left with question "where do i start and where do I began?". Learning all of this on my own will be slow, but it cant hurt.

Buy Schaum's Outline of Mathematical Economics. It has a tutorial to the math written in a Barron's AP style format and than it discusses the applications afterward.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies