Illinois Rasmussen: Brady 47%, Quinn 37%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:35:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  Illinois Rasmussen: Brady 47%, Quinn 37%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Illinois Rasmussen: Brady 47%, Quinn 37%  (Read 980 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_governor_elections/illinois/election_2010_illinois_governor

Rasmussen says R+10, R2000 says D+15. LOL

The real number is most likely somewhere in the middle, of course...and I wouldn't be surprised if Brady were ahead by a couple of points right now.

I imagine the attention he's been getting because of the close Republican race could be helping him a little, but I can't help but think he'll go back down considerably when some of his more crazy social views become known.

We'll see....but it'd be very dangerous for Democrats to get too confident here.

You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_governor_elections/illinois/election_2010_illinois_governor

Rasmussen says R+10, R2000 says D+15. LOL

The real number is most likely somewhere in the middle, of course...and I wouldn't be surprised if Brady were ahead by a couple of points right now.

I imagine the attention he's been getting because of the close Republican race could be helping him a little, but I can't help but think he'll go back down considerably when some of his more crazy social views become known.

We'll see....but it'd be very dangerous for Democrats to get too confident here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_gubernatorial_election,_2010#General_election_polling

Which is the outlier? YOU decide.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:34:08 PM »

If forced to guess, I would say Rasmussen is closer to the truth....but it seems very inflated to me.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »

Looks like Hynes exposed weakness in Quinn's candidacy after all raising the income tax fifty percent.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »

Looks like Hynes exposed weakness in Quinn's candidacy after all raising the income tax fifty percent.

Do you change your opinion on the race after every new poll?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:35:16 PM »

I'd take Rasmussen with a pound of salt this far out.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:38:18 PM »

What about a Kos poll?
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 08:43:18 PM »

Rasmussen or Daily Kos...

I think I'm going to put a bit more faith in Rasmussen... A huge bit.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:16 PM »

What about a Kos poll?

Much the same, only because Research 2000 is only a decent firm at best though.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:23:32 PM »

Because as we all know, the way to unify your party is to win a five-way primary by a couple hundred votes.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 07:24:36 AM »

The poll results vs. Brady are most likely a mirror of the job approval numbers for Quinn: 43% approve, 56% disapprove. Quinn gives his budget address today and the fiscal outlook isn't going to be pretty. How he manages to work out a budget with the leaders of his party in the next 8 weeks will shape those approval numbers.
ill ind

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 09:38:21 AM »

I think that this all comes down to the model used in determining the 'likely voter' demograpics in November of 2010.  Right now it's a total crapshoot.  R2000 uses one model and Rasmussen a totally different one.

R2000's party breakdown pretty much mirror's the exit polling results from 2006.  Shave 2% off of the Dems and 2% off of the GOP and add them to independents.

The R2000 poll that had Quinn ahead by 15%, imho oversampled the City of Chicago and undersampled the burbs.

43% of R2000's sample was from Chicago/Cook County and that should be around 37% or so.
19% of R2000's sample was from the Collar Counties and that should be around 24% or so.

Taking that into consideration and refiguring R2000's number based on that, the difference drops to 11% between Quinn and Brady.

In addition, R2000's poll only has a sample size of 16% for voters 60+.  In 2006, that number was 29%.  I have no reason to believe that number will be changed any in this mideterm.  Quinn is winning by 7% in this group, which is far less than the 15% top line number, so shave a few more points off of that.

With the modifications, I've listed, I would adjust R2000's number to having Quinn ahead by 7% or so.

Now on to Rasmussen. 

Since I'm a cheapskate and don't subscribe, I have no crosstabs to go on.

Rassmussen appears to use this 'very favorable' vs 'very unfavorable' number in determining the topline.  He uses the same thing in his Presidential approval polls, which seems to make his the most anti-Obama ones out there.  Rassmussen makes the statement on his results page "At this point in the campaign, Rassmussen Reports considers the number of people with strong opinions more significant than the total favorable/unfavorable numbers."  There is Rassy's get out of jail free card--his caveat to say whatever he wants to in his polls!!  Right now, some 8 months out from the election, those numbers probably have more validity than they do on election day when alot of people will vote for a candidate that they aren't tremendously excited about.  That's the number that counts.  He was obviously off on both parties' primaries.  In the Dem primary it looks like lots of people who weren't really hot about voting for Quinn went in and did so anyways.  Rassmussen had Hynes up 43% to 37%.  Undecideds split 2:1 for Quinn. 

Quinn's approval number of 43% in Rasmussen's poll almost mirrors the 44% who either have a very favorable opinion or a favorable opinion of Quinn in R2000's poll.

Anyways, I believe that Rassmussen also has a skewed view and that his statement of "Given Illinois' strong Democratic leanings, the race is sure to tighten in the days ahead." means that even he doesn't think that his own sampling model will probably hold up through election day--at least not in Illinois anyways.

The number to look at is the 43% Rassmussen and 44% R2000 Quinn approval number.  That one is a tough one to get by.  However, it is Brady who has to define himself and right out of the gat, I would say that his efforts have been poor at best.  He has plenty of time to right the ship as does Quinn.

Muon mentioned Quinn's upcoming budget address.  Quinn's entire candidacy may hinge on this one event.  If he comes across as not having any ideas, then he is toast.  If he can convince state residents that he has a plan and that he can begin to right the state's financial picture--even if that does include a tax hike, then his candidacy has a future.

In summary, both polls are nice, but in reality do not mean a whole heck of alot right now.  Everybody gets to take home a poll tht shows 'their' candidate ahead.

Ill_Ind
ill ind

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 12:01:20 PM »

Seeing that the forthcoming Rasmussen Poll for the Illinois Senate Race is Gianoulias 44% to Kirk's 41%, gives me reason to pause and think that perhaps Rasmussen is closer on the Gov poll than we think.

Quinn may be taking the heat for the deplorable condition of the State of Illinois' finances, and the impending cutbacks of popular programs and/or the possibility of a tax increase.  This is something that Alexi G. doesn't have to deal with at the present time.

Ill_Ind
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies