Should the draft be reinstated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:18:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the draft be reinstated?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Should the draft be reinstated?  (Read 3389 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 09:13:15 PM »

Who the fuck voted yes?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2010, 11:09:57 PM »

Not now. Only in a massive war do we need the draft, like WWII. Selective Service works just fine now.

it's not fine to threaten young men with imprisonment for not signing up for something
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 11:25:03 PM »

1990s-style nationalism doesn't really exist in most of the US these days, plus all the other reasons given. I mean, we have something like 2 million people in the military, that's more than enough (in fact, probably too much).
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 11:45:07 PM »

Not now. Only in a massive war do we need the draft, like WWII. Selective Service works just fine now.

it's not fine to threaten young men with imprisonment for not signing up for something

You don't go to prison anymore for not signing up.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 04:18:59 AM »

Whoever voted yes, please own up now.
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 04:21:41 AM »

Rochambeau's dad.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 04:45:09 AM »

This is what they are legally empowered to do to you:  "A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years. "
http://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 02:16:02 PM »

This is what they are legally empowered to do to you:  "A man who fails to register may, if prosecuted and convicted, face a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison term of up to five years. "

True, but nobody has been prosecuted for it since the eighties.  It should still be abolished, though.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »

No. The proposal is absurd, particularly in this age of a high tech army, that requires a pretty high skill set level among the troops. A few good "men," is the paradigm now.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »

No, for many reasons. The military doesn't want people to be there against their will....and it's a great violation of personal liberty.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »

They signed me up for it without me even submitting anything to them. I discovered that after I realized that I was past the date you are suppose to register by once you turn 18 and went to the site to register and discovered that my name had already been registered.
So i don't think one has much to worry about in the way of prison or fines if they register you without your knowledge.
Also to answer the topic question of course not the draft should never be reinstated.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »

I never actually got my letter from the Schutzstaffel Selective Service when I turned eighteen.  Either they didn't have me on record since I didn't go to a normal, public high school, or they signed me up without my knowledge.  Or, of course, my father got the letter and sent it in, without my knowledge.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 10:48:59 PM »

They signed me up for it without me even submitting anything to them. I discovered that after I realized that I was past the date you are suppose to register by once you turn 18 and went to the site to register and discovered that my name had already been registered.
So i don't think one has much to worry about in the way of prison or fines if they register you without your knowledge.
Also to answer the topic question of course not the draft should never be reinstated.
Did you apply for financial aid? I think it's part of some of the forms.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 01:49:59 AM »

We need an option of "Hell No!"

I am pround my son is serving his country in the armed forces, as did his father, his grandfathers, and three of his great grandfathers (not sure about the fourth),

Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 02:40:12 AM »

No.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 03:05:06 AM »

Truthfully I wouldn't be horribly opposed to a year of service after high school, similar to what is done in some countries of Europe. The time could be used to teach practical skills to many youth that are definitely lacking, also would make it so that going to war would be a much more difficult decision.

But the draft as it used to be: No.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 06:46:10 AM »

Truthfully I wouldn't be horribly opposed to a year of service after high school, similar to what is done in some countries of Europe. The time could be used to teach practical skills to many youth that are definitely lacking, also would make it so that going to war would be a much more difficult decision.

Ugh. Slavery is bad.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »

Ugh. Slavery is bad.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »

Did you apply for financial aid? I think it's part of some of the forms.
You have to be registered with selective service to apply for financial aid. That is why I had gone to register with Selective service, as i was thinking of applying for Fafsa.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »

I know a guy who literally registered the day the last day he was eligible to register (that being December 31st of the year he turned 25). The reason being not registering can deny you possible government-related employment later. Kind of silly to wait that late though since there obviously would be no draft, but I guess he wanted to make a point...
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2010, 11:58:38 PM »

I know a guy who literally registered the day the last day he was eligible to register (that being December 31st of the year he turned 25). The reason being not registering can deny you possible government-related employment later. Kind of silly to wait that late though since there obviously would be no draft, but I guess he wanted to make a point...

Does government-related employment include public office?
Frihet

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:09 AM »

No, a State that needs to force men into service doesn't deserve to be defended.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies