50 Dollar Bill (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:11:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  50 Dollar Bill (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you want President Reagan on the fifty dollar bill
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: 50 Dollar Bill  (Read 15120 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: March 03, 2010, 01:51:19 AM »

Since the back of the $50 has the U.S. Capitol, someone from Congress should be on the front, and I can think of no one better than Henry Clay.

When we get a $200 bill, I'd like to see Chief Justice Marshall on the front and the Supreme Court courtroom on the back.

If we get a $500 bill back, I'd like to see the front have James Madison (who last appeared on the $5000) and the back be Christy's Scene at the Signing of the Constitution of the United States which heretofore has not appeared on U.S. currency.  Definitely no reason to put McKinley on the front again.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:35:10 PM »

Why do you need people on the bills anyway?

Buildings looks just fine as well.

(Note: I don't support the Euro... I just think they look very beautiful)

Ugh.  Imaginary buildings.

Here's what I would put on U.S. currency and coins if I could dictate such things.

Currency
$500: James Madison / Christy's Scene at the Signing of the Constitution of the United States
$200: John Marshall / Supreme Court courtroom
$100: Benjamin Franklin / Trumbull's Declaration of Independence (formerly on the back of the $2 bill)
$50: Henry Clay / U.S. Capitol
$20: John Adams / White House
$10: Alexander Hamilton / Trumbull's Washington Resigning his Commission
$5: Abraham Lincoln / Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream speech at the Lincoln memorial

Coin ($2 to $¼ to have a bald eagle on the reverse)
$2: [bimetalic ring] Old Faithful
$1: Statue of Liberty (current reverse of the $1 presidential dollar series)
$½: [new 4.05g coin of the same composition as the $1] Golden Gate Bridge
$¼: George Washington
dime: Ring of thirteen stars / Liberty Bell
nickel: [same size, but nickel-plated steel] Indian Head / Buffalo
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »

What's wrong with keeping U. S. Grant (a fine man and a patriot, if maybe a sh**tty president)?

Of current U.S. currency, the 50 dollar bill is the only one which exhibits no connection between the subject on the front and the back.  Assuming we keep the U.S. Capitol on the back, then logically someone heavily associated with the place should be on the front, of which Henry Clay would be the best choice in my opinion.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath for larger bills any time soon. Large transactions are seldom paid for in cash, the organized crime concerns that took large bills out of circulation circa 1969 still exist, and counterfeiting concerns would be a horrendous nightmare.

Besides, by the time there would be an inflationary need for a higher-than-$100 bill, we'll be on an entirely electronic monetary system anyway.

With a €500 bill in circulation, there are no legitimate arguments against introducing a $200 or $500 bill other than lack of demand.  I can't see us ever going to a totally electronic system.  Bankless persons in this country and international users of the dollar need something tangible to transact with.  We certainly won't be going all-electronic anytime this century unless we want to abandon the preeminent place that the U.S. dollar has as a world currency.

That said, there's no strong need for a $500 bill at present.  A $200 bill would be useful, but the inertia of using the $100 would keep it from circulating as widely as it might if the currency were being started fro scratch.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »

Try using a $50 bill at a convenience store ..........they have a fit........I still do it sometimes, but they have a total fit.......all kinds of signs saying they won't take them......lol.

How many people buy more than $20 worth of stuff at one time from inside a convenience store?  Convenience stores don't want to be in the business of making change.  It costs them money.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies