Community College Ass. Prof. pisses off double dipping Sheriff (New Jersey)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:19:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Community College Ass. Prof. pisses off double dipping Sheriff (New Jersey)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Community College Ass. Prof. pisses off double dipping Sheriff (New Jersey)  (Read 1601 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2010, 07:29:18 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
"this isn't over" indeed.  Hopefully your career and reputation are though.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 09:37:46 AM »

My stepfather teaches at that college. I'll forward this to him.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:50:45 AM »

Wow is dead0man seriously attacking this professor for exposing a government official ripping off the taxpayers?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »

Wow is dead0man seriously attacking this professor for exposing a government official ripping off the taxpayers?

I trust he's referring to the sheriff...?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:13 AM »

errrr..no.  I'm attacking the SHERIFF for being an over sensitive, double dipping, douchebag.  The fact that you think otherwise says a lot about you.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:57:22 AM »

Well the "This isn't over" line came from the sheriff, hence that assumption.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 10:21:28 AM »

Maybe a little vague on that particular line, but all other clues would point to me "hating on" the Sheriff.

Maybe the "Community College Ass." part was throwing you off?  It does me and I typed it Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:43:43 AM »

Some corrupt Vernon Californian guy is pulling half a million a year in his pension as he awaits trial.
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 04:35:02 AM »

Privatize education now.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:36:33 AM »

Not a hugely bad idea, though I prefer a voucher system with some public ownership of education.
Electric Feel
ElectricFeel
Rookie
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -0.06, S: -5.13

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 04:37:20 AM »

Not a hugely bad idea, though I prefer a voucher system with some public ownership of education.

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »

I heard back that this has been very big in the news in the area and the consensus is that the sheriff really stepped in it. Let's hope he's out of a job.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »

If I had been the teacher involved, let me assure you that matters would have been handled differently. I don't like bullies, particularly those in power - at all.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:48 AM »

If I had been the teacher involved, let me assure you that matters would have been handled differently. I don't like bullies, particularly those in power - at all.

That was what my stepfather said--he couldn't believe the guy apologized.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 10:37:39 AM »

Dumb move on the sheriff's part.  Seems kinda odd for a news story though, unless there's been a lot of talk on this.

Who is Buckley?  They just said a last name, so that was a bit confusing.

But hopefully the sheriff either resigns or gets voted out of office.  Figures, he's a Democrat.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 10:40:16 AM »

Yes, law enforcement personnel taking advantage of their position is totally a partisan thing.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »

Yes, law enforcement personnel taking advantage of their position is totally a partisan thing.

I was referring more to the double dipping.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2010, 10:51:15 AM by brittain33 »

You should look into how much Nassau County, N.Y. policemen were making in the last days of the Republican machine there. 

I really do think it's ridiculous to say that local or state corruption is somehow the problem of one party. It's part of human nature and political culture. Republicans have had loads of cases of insider dealings with campaign contributors, sweetheart land deals, etc. It's 100% hackish to say "figures, he's a Democrat." I call it like I see it. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »

Just FYI, Sheriff is an elected position in New Jersey. They're elected to three-year terms—this seat will be back up for election in 2011.

Don't hold your breath about repercussions here, though. Republicans aren't exactly competitive in Mercer County as a whole. Their last county-wide office holder was thrown out in 2005 in favor of a Democrat who parked in a handicapped space while taping her campaign commercial.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 11:37:10 AM »

You should look into how much Nassau County, N.Y. policemen were making in the last days of the Republican machine there. 

I really do think it's ridiculous to say that local or state corruption is somehow the problem of one party. It's part of human nature and political culture. Republicans have had loads of cases of insider dealings with campaign contributors, sweetheart land deals, etc. It's 100% hackish to say "figures, he's a Democrat." I call it like I see it. 

Yes, indeed, local GOP office holding hacks feather their nests, and fatten their pensions, with just as much greed as the Dems do. Heck, I have seen it happen right here in GOP controlled Orange County.  The sad truth is most of these guys are betas, who are just trying to make a living, a comfortable living, and are unable to do it any other way.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 10:48:28 PM »

Vernon, CA is a Republican town (and they like to kick you out of town if they don't like the way you vote) , so you can hardly blame out of control pensions for corrupt officials just on Democrats.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06:07 AM »

Vernon, CA is a Republican town (and they like to kick you out of town if they don't like the way you vote) , so you can hardly blame out of control pensions for corrupt officials just on Democrats.

Vernon has about 30 voters. And I doubt it votes GOP in general. I guess I might look it up in time. I assume it has its own precinct.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 12:17:46 AM »

Vernon has about 30 voters. And I doubt it votes GOP in general. I guess I might look it up in time. I assume it has its own precinct.

While Obama landslided California and LA county, it voted
McCain 18
Obama 13
Nader 3
Keyes 1
Barr 1

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 12:22:11 AM »

Well in this industrial dump, probably each and every one of those voters is in a family quite rich from the Vernon method of doing business (lots of revenue from the industrial parcels, and almost no residents to service, so a lot of tax revenue that "has" to go somewhere).  I think the place is close in unique in the US, and perhaps the planet. It is odd that it does not get more press.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 12:45:07 AM »

The Nassau cops thing was totally insane during the Gullotta tenure.   It actually lasted until 2006 because of the contracts put forth by Gullotta, couldn't be dealt with until they expired.   The department still has way too many perks though its at least better than it was.  My current representative in the Nassau Legislature, Joe Belesi (who knocked off Dave Mejias last year) is a perfect example of the old perk system and just plain taxpayer abuse.  Belesi was a Sgt. in the Nassau County Police, and rather influential in the Union during the 90's when these contracts with Gullotta were crafted.  He retired from the force (I believe in 2002) and in working 9 months that year + his retirement package made $437,000 during his last year on the force (all of which obviously is taxpayer $$$) that is in addition to his $100,000 + a year pension.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies