Dems: when did you realize the worm had turned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:21:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Dems: when did you realize the worm had turned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dems: when did you realize the worm had turned?  (Read 13113 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:18:11 AM »

For me, the moment I realized the Republicans were back was in the aftermath of Joe Wilson's yelling "You lie!" at the health care speech. I discounted stories from his spokesman about a spike online fundraising twice what the Dem was pulling in because that was something Democrats excelled at, not Republicans other than Ron Paul. But then it turned out to be true.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:36 AM »

I don't think they are back.....the party is in the worst shape it's ever been in and they have the worst leaders in McConnell, Boehner, Cantor and that jackass Steele.

I think the Dems just shot themselves in the foot with a bazooka....

If they are "back", it's because of the shameful heath care debacle.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »

For me, the moment I realized the Republicans were back was in the aftermath of Joe Wilson's yelling "You lie!" at the health care speech. I discounted stories from his spokesman about a spike online fundraising twice what the Dem was pulling in because that was something Democrats excelled at, not Republicans other than Ron Paul. But then it turned out to be true.

I doubt that the "worm has turned."  It might be tunneling downward.

On this board, I'd say about half the Democrats got it the weekend before Brown's MA victory.

About half of the others got it just after that.

About half of those remaining might have gotten it from Nate Silver.

About half of those remaining will get it in November.

The remainder will get it, when they put down the pipe.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »

When Brown won the special election.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:10:40 AM »

Republicans aren't "back,"  Democrats are "out."  There's a difference.  Obviously as the only other major party Republicans stand to gain quite a bit from Democratic misfortunes.  However, the Republican "resurgence" will be short lived.  Even if they retake Congress, any attempts to deliver on the "Tea Party agenda" and the inevitable failure of these attempts will send them further into the hole come 2012.  Republicans are still running on the Reagan coalition + 1994!  They need a new message if they want to hold onto power.  If you strip away the politics and propaganda, Democratic ideas are more popular than Republican ideas.  The Democrats have just done a piss-poor job of standing up for themselves as usual.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »

When Obama won the 2008 election. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:37:45 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2010, 09:10:42 AM by WEB Dubois »

I don't think the Dems were in bad shape in 2009 when they presented themselves as the anti incumbant party which voters took their frustration out on them in the 3 special election. Their agenda was distracted due to the high unemployment as well as the terrorist attack and insurgency in Afghanistan.

Now, that the incumbants who were bound to be defeated at the polls and the heavy job losses have been lifted, with eight months left in the campaign season, Dems can reposition themselves to offset those losses and develop a message to the voters.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »

Scott Brown.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »

Last Summer, when Deeds and Corzine were losing by landslides.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »

When Obama won the 2008 election. 

Precisely!  When I saw that black president parading about on the television, I knew we were in for a backlash of histrionic proportions.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »

The worm hasn't turned yet, really.  It could well turn, as most of the requirements are there for it to occur, but we're not there yet.

That being said, the worm turning that began in 2005, commenced in 2006 and held until mid-2009 has likely been reversed and will probably not continue.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:30:33 AM »

Republicans aren't "back,"  Democrats are "out."  There's a difference.  Obviously as the only other major party Republicans stand to gain quite a bit from Democratic misfortunes.  However, the Republican "resurgence" will be short lived.  Even if they retake Congress, any attempts to deliver on the "Tea Party agenda" and the inevitable failure of these attempts will send them further into the hole come 2012.  Republicans are still running on the Reagan coalition + 1994!  They need a new message if they want to hold onto power.  If you strip away the politics and propaganda, Democratic ideas are more popular than Republican ideas.  The Democrats have just done a piss-poor job of standing up for themselves as usual.

This has been my thinking. The only reason Republicans are doing well is because they're not Democrats, not on their own party's virtues.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 09:39:06 AM »

I don't think the worm has turned all that much here, the states that were in play during the last election cycles are still very much in play, but the Dems will have fewer seats due to the anti incumbancy environment rather than anti democratic environment and Dems can very much minimize their losses here than they started out when they lost the 3 specials.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »

While I agree there's an anti-incumbency theme to all of this, the Dems are going to face the brunt of this much more than the GOP due to the nature, and execution, of the healthcare bill.  Old school (god, war, and pork) GOP candidates will be vulnerable, but I think incumbent fiscal conservatives will do very, very well.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »

I knew things were going to get ugly on November 4, 2008.

Obama wasn't going to magically make things better, contrary to popular belief within the American populace it seems.  If he didn't make immediate results, it was obvious that the tide would begin to turn.

Still, the moment I realized just how bad it is was when Obama's approval dropped below 50%.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 03:54:11 PM »

While I agree there's an anti-incumbency theme to all of this, the Dems are going to face the brunt of this much more than the GOP due to the nature, and execution, of the healthcare bill.  Old school (god, war, and pork) GOP candidates will be vulnerable, but I think incumbent fiscal conservatives will do very, very well.

Once again we are where we are at before the 2004 campaign a 50/50 nation and the map may very well play out in a very similar fashion as it did in 2004 with a few exceptions.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »

While I agree there's an anti-incumbency theme to all of this, the Dems are going to face the brunt of this much more than the GOP due to the nature, and execution, of the healthcare bill.  Old school (god, war, and pork) GOP candidates will be vulnerable, but I think incumbent fiscal conservatives will do very, very well.

Once again we are where we are at before the 2004 campaign a 50/50 nation and the map may very well play out in a very similar fashion as it did in 2004 with a few exceptions.

Personally, I'm expecting the news to be worse for the Dems in 2010 than it was in 2004.  You can see that in the numbers in CA, IL, PA and from the recent results in NJ, MA, and VA, all of which are substantially to the right of 2004.

It may cool down between now and November, but it looks ugly for the Dems today.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »

Yes, the tea party is having an effect on the party in power.  But as you can see there are republican moderates running in those states that those youj quote, are having an affect on as well.  The Dems on the ballots may be better off with a split vote.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »

Yes, the tea party is having an effect on the party in power.  But as you can see there are republican moderates running in those states that those youj quote, are having an affect on as well.  The Dems on the ballots may be better off with a split vote.

I agree, but this looks more like a "big tent" voting pattern than a simple rebound to pre-"Bush is teh antichrist" days.

Frankly, it's the same pattern that gave Dems such a big voting bloc in the last two elections, which they've pissed away on far left policy initiatives.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 11:25:44 AM »

lol wut
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »

The worm has turned when you thought that the Dems was going to net gain seats, but it hasn't turned in terms of Dems retaining both majorities in the Congress.  And that was what I was referring to.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 09:13:44 PM »

When Obama was awarded the Democratic nomination.

Make no mistake about it, while I'm still glad I voted for Obama over McSame and Failin, I still hold onto the belief that Hillary would have been better.

And, had she won, we wouldn't have to worry about these teabaggers since she's white and all.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 09:38:03 AM »

They still would of found a way to go after her on Health care, they felt that this 2010 was a GOP regardless and that they can use that as a political weapon against any democratic president like they did in 1994.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 09:46:02 AM »

The lesson learned in all of this -- whatever you do, don't win.  It's so much easier and more politically expedient to visciously oppose things than to govern responsibly.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »

And, had she won, we wouldn't have to worry about these teabaggers since she's white and all.

I suppose domestic terrorism under Clinton was also because he was black?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies