The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:17:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 295402 times)
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2525 on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:22 PM »

Nobody has declared to run for Legislature in the election that starts in 35 minutes. Sad

Edit: Also, letting everyone know that a week from now I will be checking out of our dear legislature for some time.

And that's all folks Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2526 on: April 25, 2012, 07:29:40 AM »

I, sjoycefla, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Imperial Dominion of the South against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me Dave.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2527 on: April 25, 2012, 07:32:58 AM »

A wonderful choice- good luck sjoycefla
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2528 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »

I, Mechaman, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the Imperial Dominion of the South against all enemies, foreign and domestic unless it's my handlers from the Kremlin; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation for $256,998.91, without any mental reservation or purpose of tax evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter until my next alcoholic binge: So help me Dave Herschel Leip.........you bastard.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2529 on: April 26, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »

MasterSanders has disappeared & not shared any of his fried chicken. Shall we call his mandate vacated per the Legislative Vacancy Act & pick another member?
Mechafever
« Reply #2530 on: April 26, 2012, 04:02:52 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2012, 04:07:30 PM by Mechafever »

First off, I realize there are precedents against new Atlas posters appearing suddenly in the Atlasian Government threads (if in Atlasia at all, strict voting requirements) so please don't freak and chalk this up as a "zombie".

Second, the reason why I have chosen to post here is to deliver some bad news.  You see this morning, at around 7:42 AM, Mechaman's Mac Laptop computer literally came unglued.
Pardon the pun.

Anyway, a few months before that Mechaman got drunk and changed the password to his own account!  The next morning when he woke up he couldnt' remember it.  He went to Nym, he went to Dave.  Neither of them could really help him, given that he couldn't even remember the "Secret Question" for his account.
Sound famililar anyone?

Back to the present, as a result of Mechaman's profile pretty much being on all the time on one computer and him having no freaking way to find out or change his password, the laptop incident has arguably made it nigh impossible for Mechaman to come back on here.  Which is why I am now here.

I, being a proud citizen of the Imperial South and our Constitution, can't take over the seat that is being held by the Mechaman account since I am only three posts in.  In fact, I request Governor Pit and this legislature to uphold the laws of this state and, given Mechaman's disability, vacate the seat he was appointed to.

I swear this is the poster formerly known as Mechaman.  I am not some old sock with a grudge against him and making this up just to get him kicked out.  I know this will suck, given how many people were just appointed and all but well, rules are rules.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2531 on: April 26, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2012, 06:27:52 PM by sjoycefla »

MasterSanders has disappeared & not shared any of his fried chicken. Shall we call his mandate vacated per the Legislative Vacancy Act & pick another member?

We shall.

I, being a proud citizen of the Imperial South and our Constitution, can't take over the seat that is being held by the Mechaman account since I am only three posts in.  In fact, I request Governor Pit and this legislature to uphold the laws of this state and, given Mechaman's disability, vacate the seat he was appointed to.

Apparently for two seats. Does this mean I'm now the third senior legislator behind Yelnoc and I think Pingvin (maybe Kalwejt, or maybe he resigned to run for VP, not sure there)?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2532 on: April 26, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »

Yes we should.

First off, I realize there are precedents against new Atlas posters appearing suddenly in the Atlasian Government threads (if in Atlasia at all, strict voting requirements) so please don't freak and chalk this up as a "zombie".

Second, the reason why I have chosen to post here is to deliver some bad news.  You see this morning, at around 7:42 AM, Mechaman's Mac Laptop computer literally came unglued.
Pardon the pun.

Anyway, a few months before that Mechaman got drunk and changed the password to his own account!  The next morning when he woke up he couldnt' remember it.  He went to Nym, he went to Dave.  Neither of them could really help him, given that he couldn't even remember the "Secret Question" for his account.
Sound famililar anyone?

Back to the present, as a result of Mechaman's profile pretty much being on all the time on one computer and him having no freaking way to find out or change his password, the laptop incident has arguably made it nigh impossible for Mechaman to come back on here.  Which is why I am now here.

I, being a proud citizen of the Imperial South and our Constitution, can't take over the seat that is being held by the Mechaman account since I am only three posts in.  In fact, I request Governor Pit and this legislature to uphold the laws of this state and, given Mechaman's disability, vacate the seat he was appointed to.

I swear this is the poster formerly known as Mechaman.  I am not some old sock with a grudge against him and making this up just to get him kicked out.  I know this will suck, given how many people were just appointed and all but well, rules are rules.
I'm sorry to hear that, Mecha.  Could you get in the chat sometime to verify that?

Apparently for two seats. Does this mean I'm now the third senior legislator behind Yelnoc and I think Pingvin (maybe Kalwejt, or maybe he resigned to run for VP, not sure there)?
I'm sorry, I haven't updated the almanac in a while.  Here is a list of seniority.

Yelnoc
MasterSanders (soon to be removed?)
Kalwejt
Mechaman (soon to be removed?)
sjoycefla

Kalwejt does not need to resign unless he is elected to another office.

And sjoycefla, we can begin debate on your bill in a few days.  We need to take care of this membership shake-up first, and this weekend will be particularly busy for me.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2533 on: April 26, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »

Yes we should.

Second, the reason why I have chosen to post here is to deliver some bad news.  You see this morning, at around 7:42 AM, Mechaman's Mac Laptop computer literally came unglued.
Pardon the pun.

Anyway, a few months before that Mechaman got drunk and changed the password to his own account!  The next morning when he woke up he couldnt' remember it.  He went to Nym, he went to Dave.  Neither of them could really help him, given that he couldn't even remember the "Secret Question" for his account.
Sound famililar anyone?

Back to the present, as a result of Mechaman's profile pretty much being on all the time on one computer and him having no freaking way to find out or change his password, the laptop incident has arguably made it nigh impossible for Mechaman to come back on here.  Which is why I am now here.

I swear this is the poster formerly known as Mechaman.  I am not some old sock with a grudge against him and making this up just to get him kicked out.  I know this will suck, given how many people were just appointed and all but well, rules are rules.
I'm sorry to hear that, Mecha.  Could you get in the chat sometime to verify that?

I'm sorry, I haven't updated the almanac in a while.  Here is a list of seniority.

Yelnoc
MasterSanders (soon to be removed?)
Kalwejt
Mechaman (soon to be removed?)
sjoycefla

Kalwejt does not need to resign unless he is elected to another office.

And sjoycefla, we can begin debate on your bill in a few days.  We need to take care of this membership shake-up first, and this weekend will be particularly busy for me.

Of course; no use having debate if there's nobody to debate. Under the Legislative Vacancy Act, do we have to wait seven consecutive days to be able to declare Mechaman's seat vacant or can it be done expediently due to Drunkenpasswordlaptopgate?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2534 on: April 27, 2012, 12:16:36 AM »

Well, MasterSanders's seat has been vacated.

Article II, Section 5 of the regional Constitution says that the Legislature can "judge the qualifications of its members", i.e. expel them. That's probably the quickest way to vacate Mechaman's seat.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2535 on: April 27, 2012, 06:54:46 AM »

Article II, Section 5 of the regional Constitution says that the Legislature can "judge the qualifications of its members", i.e. expel them. That's probably the quickest way to vacate Mechaman's seat.

So do we need to take a vote on that...?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2536 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »

So do we need to take a vote on that...?

Indeed. Nobody has been expelled from the Legislature before, so this is a rather novel event. I suggest that Yelnoc calls for a brief debate period followed by a vote.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2537 on: April 27, 2012, 09:18:55 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2012, 09:27:49 PM by MechaRepublican »

He's back!

For the record, Mechafever was me.  Dave sent me an email with my new password so now I'm back on my old account.  Whether or not you guys choose to heed the words of that account I'll leave entirely up to you.  Personally, I wouldn't be in this position if I didn't feel the Governor needed me in it.

Take that as you will.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2538 on: April 28, 2012, 08:20:46 AM »

Keep him. One vacancy is enough.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2539 on: April 28, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2012, 08:02:01 PM by IDS Legislator sjoycefla »

Keep. 3 vacancies to fill at once is too many.

Edit: Remembered Judicial Overlord seat is open too.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2540 on: April 28, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »

Glad to have you back, Mechaman.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2541 on: May 01, 2012, 02:47:36 PM »

Needs more activity.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2542 on: May 01, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »

I introduced a thingymajigger, but it hasn't been brought up or whatever's done.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2543 on: May 01, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »

I was hoping we could fill the vacant see before moving on with business.  Oh well.  The below is up for debate.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I propose one of the following changes be made to the title.

"Are our children learning?" or "Is our chil'en learnin'?"

Also, somebody ought to check what education statutes are on the books.  I would do that but I have things to do.  If anyone is interested, check the wiki.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2544 on: May 01, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »

Higher Education STEM Act

Charter School Act

Private School Administration Rights Bill

Help The Southeast Study For Serious Act

These are the only ones I found on the books. And I'd prefer to keep the title as it is, for rarely is the question asked.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2545 on: May 01, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

A few quick calculations:

A high school teacher with 5 classes of 20 students each would make $270,000 in a 180 school year.  A high school teacher with 5 classes of 30 students each would make $405,000 a year.  For comparison, an elementary school teacher, who only has one class of kids would make between $54,000 (20 kids) and $81,000 (30 kids).  From those figures alone, I do not think section 1 of this bill is affordable for the IDS, even when taking our budget surplus into consideration.  I also challenge the notion that paying teacher by number of students is a bad idea and could create a number of negative incentives for local school districts.  For example, districts in dire financial straights might hire an enormous amount of teachers so that they can have ridiculously small class sizes and therefore not need to pay their teachers nearly as much. 

With that in mind, I suggest Section 1 of the bill be stricken, to be replaced with other guidelines on teacher pay.  To that effect, I move e commission the SoIA to conduct a report on the average real life pay of teachers within the real life states that comprise the Atlasian IDS and deliver to us his findings stratified by elementary, middle, and high school sections.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2546 on: May 01, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 06:00:58 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

A high school teacher with 5 classes of 20 students each would make $270,000 in a 180 school year.  A high school teacher with 5 classes of 30 students each would make $405,000 a year.  For comparison, an elementary school teacher, who only has one class of kids would make between $54,000 (20 kids) and $81,000 (30 kids).  From those figures alone, I do not think section 1 of this bill is affordable for the IDS, even when taking our budget surplus into consideration.  I also challenge the notion that paying teacher by number of students is a bad idea and could create a number of negative incentives for local school districts.  For example, districts in dire financial straights might hire an enormous amount of teachers so that they can have ridiculously small class sizes and therefore not need to pay their teachers nearly as much.  

With that in mind, I suggest Section 1 of the bill be stricken, to be replaced with other guidelines on teacher pay.  To that effect, I move e commission the SoIA to conduct a report on the average real life pay of teachers within the real life states that comprise the Atlasian IDS and deliver to us his findings stratified by elementary, middle, and high school sections.

That was just an attempt to set some kinda standards for pay; the intention was to make teaching competitive with other jobs (46% of teachers in public schools leave the profession within the first five years, citing salary/stress; because of teachers generally having a lower average salary than their similarly-educated peers, 62% of teachers have second jobs outside the classroom to be able to afford to teach). Based on your math, a sorta formula for that wouldn't make sense. I would also be in favor of just setting baselines/guidelines for pay, as was the original intent.

I support your motion to commission the SoIA to conduct such a report, or I could just do it...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2547 on: May 01, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »

A high school teacher with 5 classes of 20 students each would make $270,000 in a 180 school year.  A high school teacher with 5 classes of 30 students each would make $405,000 a year.  For comparison, an elementary school teacher, who only has one class of kids would make between $54,000 (20 kids) and $81,000 (30 kids).  From those figures alone, I do not think section 1 of this bill is affordable for the IDS, even when taking our budget surplus into consideration.  I also challenge the notion that paying teacher by number of students is a bad idea and could create a number of negative incentives for local school districts.  For example, districts in dire financial straights might hire an enormous amount of teachers so that they can have ridiculously small class sizes and therefore not need to pay their teachers nearly as much.  

With that in mind, I suggest Section 1 of the bill be stricken, to be replaced with other guidelines on teacher pay.  To that effect, I move e commission the SoIA to conduct a report on the average real life pay of teachers within the real life states that comprise the Atlasian IDS and deliver to us his findings stratified by elementary, middle, and high school sections.

That was just an attempt to set some kinda standards for pay; the intention was to make teaching competitive with other jobs (46% of teachers in public schools leave the profession within the first five years, citing salary/stress; because of teachers generally having a lower average salary than their similarly-educated peers, 62% of teachers have second jobs outside the classroom to be able to afford to teach). Based on your math, a sorta formula for that wouldn't make sense. I would also be in favor of just setting baselines/guidelines for pay, as was the original intent.

I support your motion to commission the SoIA to conduct such a report, or I could just do it...
I PMed 20RP12 about it.  If you want to run a concurrent report, please do so.  The more data, the merrier.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2548 on: May 01, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »

State
Starting Salary
Average Salary

Alabama
$31,368
$40,347
Arkansas
$28,784
$42,768
Florida
$33,427
$43,302
Georgia
$34,442
$48,300
Louisiana
$31,298
$40,029
Mississippi
$28,200
$40,576
North Carolina
$27,944
$43,992
South Carolina
$28,568
$43,011
Tennessee
$32,369
$42,537
Texas
$33,775
$42,537

According to Teacher Portal. For comparison, national average for a starting teacher is $34,935; nat'l average for a starting non-technical researcher is $37,541; management trainee is $42,123; registered nurse is $51,341; public accountant is $47,453; field engineer is $52,277.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2549 on: May 01, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »

So that gives us a mean starting salary of $31,018 and a mean "average salary" of $42,740.  20RP12, we could still use a breakdown by school level (elementary, middle, and high).  Also knowing the national average starting and normal salaries and the highest normal and average salaries paid by any state would be useful for analytical purposes.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies