Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2015, 05:34:53 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 171 Print
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 179744 times)
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.81, S: -9.30

View Profile
« Reply #2625 on: June 04, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »
Ignore

Does the cost of this bill matter at the state level? Like, all of these things are great, but are they practical?
Last I checked we are running a decent surplus with near 0 tax rates, so we should be able to afford this, though a cost estimation from the moderator team might be a good idea.

sjoyce, didn't we change something about the student:computer ration so as to not tax the resources of rural school districts?  I know there are places in South Georgia where students cannot ford graphing calculators, and I imagine those schools are nowhere near able to meet this criterion.

We discussed it, and I suggested summoning the SoIA. However, we no longer have one of those, so...

Senator PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: June 05, 2012, 11:20:08 pm »
Ignore

We don't have much of a surplus. Don't remember what it is off the top of my head, but I think it is in the area of 3-4 billion dollars.

Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: June 06, 2012, 02:14:00 am »
Ignore

We have a surplus and no income taxes?
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2628 on: June 06, 2012, 02:18:37 pm »
Ignore

Something like that, yeah.  We haven't run up a lot of expenses.

And I guess we should contact shua about this.  I will PM him.

shua
YaBB God
Nepal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2629 on: June 06, 2012, 03:36:37 pm »
Ignore

Something like that, yeah.  We haven't run up a lot of expenses.

And I guess we should contact shua about this.  I will PM him.
If you don't have income taxes, you'll need to rewrite #4. 
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:01 pm »
Ignore

Income Taxes:
-Base: $0 (state cannot collect their own income taxes)
-Corporate Income Tax/Tax-Corporate Net Income/Put the "free" back in Free Enterprise Bill: (see personal income tax rate)
-Corporate Income Tax/Tax-Corporate Net Income/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: -66.1 million (-0.0661 billion)
-Corporate Tax Rate: 8.6% (part of Free Enterprise Bill above - remember other provisions).
-Personal Income Tax Rate: 5.8% ($61,650,000,000/year)
-Total: $61,583,900,000 or $61.5839 billion

I believe this is our current income tax code (for persons and corporations).

Senator PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: June 06, 2012, 05:57:01 pm »
Ignore

The regional income tax is the same as of the state of Georgia, basically.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: June 06, 2012, 10:10:27 pm »
Ignore

Sincerely sorry for my lack of involvement here. It's turned into a hellish last few weeks. Bronchitis ain't pretty. Wink

Here's some changes I suggest. Changes are bolded. I haven't yet addressed section 1...

Is Our Children Learning Act?

1.) TBA

2.) In an attempt to minimize time spent away from education, and in recognition of the climate of the IDS, summer vacation shall be shortened to six weeks, to be offset by an increase in the lengths of spring, fall/Thanksgiving, and winter breaks, in particular the former two due to climate being nicer during those times.

3.) After-school sports, performing arts, creative arts, and/or academic activities shall be supported by the government of the IDS through additional funding. This funding will be determined as follows: The IDS government will match private sector donations (up to x amount) and will direct its funds to those schools in most need of support.

4.) A tax credit shall be created for personal and corporate income taxes, allowing individuals/corporations to deduct a certain amount of income taxes to donate to education, which shall go to public schools to assist in paying for after-school programs, field trips, and/or school supplies. Individuals may deduct up to $500, couples filing joint returns may deduct up to $1000, and corporations may deduct up to $5000.

5.) Regardless of school district, if transportation can be arranged by the student or their family, children may be enrolled in any public school that has not reached maximum capacity for students. However, local students will be given enrollment priority at nearby schools, thus ensuring that children who do not have access to special transportation are not displaced by non-local students.

6.) Magnet schools (defined as public schools with specialized courses or curricula) shall be established throughout the region as a draw for gifted, talented, or otherwise extraordinary students, in order to challenge these students academically. Other such schools might include arts schools, business schools, technology schools, or language-immersion schools. A model for this system would be the Governor's Schools of Virginia.

7.) After-school tutoring shall be supported by the region for struggling students to bring them back up to grade level.

(This will be a huge expense. Hopefully students will struggle less if teachers are frequently evaluated.)

8.) Class size in schools shall not exceed a 25:1 student-teacher ratio.

9.) Teachers shall first undergo a two-week-long observation period of several classrooms, then a three-month-period as a teacher's aide, then a year-long period as an "intern teacher", during which they shall be treated as a full teacher. After that year, the teacher will be evaluated using the same standards delineated in section 1 of this bill to determine whether he or she should be hired. Review of teacher performance shall be performed regularly, as also prescribed in section 1.

10.) In order to teach, teachers must hold a bachelor's degree with a major in an area related to the field in which they wish to teach, or be National Board Certified. The region shall subsidize tuition for teachers studying for a higher degree related to their chosen field (such as a Master's or Doctorate).

(Higher education does not correspond with being a better teacher, and this would be hugely expensive.  We would have to pay to temporarily replace that teacher and then pay tens of thousands of dollars for their extra education.)

11.) All schools shall have Internet and computer access to a level of 10:1 students per computer at least.

12.) Schools shall be reviewed by a (something) in order to assess the integrity of the building upon request of the principal or 40% of teachers; in the event that the school is found to be inadequate infrastructure-wise, steps will be taken to either fix the problems or to create a new building.

13.) A new line of textbooks shall be authorized, to be created by an independent textbook review board, including notable professors such as James W. Loewen, Richard P. Feynman, representatives of the American (Atlasian?) Academy of Arts and Sciences, and others, and sent to school systems to replace previous textbooks. After this initial overhaul, textbooks will be updated every five years, but it will be up to the individual schools to decide how frequently new books will be purchased.

14.) To graduate high schools, students shall be required to take at least two years of a useful foreign language; such a language is defined here as: English (for non-English speakers), French, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, German, Italian, Malay, Chinese, Dutch, Persian, Romanian, Serbian, or Swahili. Language education will also be emphasized and available at the elementary and middle school levels. At all levels, schools shall be required to provide education in Spanish and at least three other languages.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:10:22 pm by HagridOfTheDeep »Logged
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: June 07, 2012, 05:03:13 pm »
Ignore

Most of the suggestions are things already discussed or additional cost-cutting measures that I thought would be good to put on the table.
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:23 pm »
Ignore

Most of the suggestions are things already discussed or additional cost-cutting measures that I thought would be good to put on the table.

1st friendly, 2nd friendly, 3rd friendly, 4th friendly, 5th unfriendly, 6th unfriendly, 7th friendly, 8th friendly.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 07, 2012, 06:45:11 pm »
Ignore

To clarify, you are unfriendly on cutting the section re: state subsidized post-grad education for teachers? And unfriendly to not forcing schools to update textbooks regularly?

I'll easily concede the latter point. How often should we stipulate they update their textbooks? (I'd be all for emphasizing the role of school fundraising here... Maybe the government pays for half the cost of upgrading textbooks every 5 years?)

Still not sure about us paying for master's degrees though. It's a huge and unprecedented cost... Moreover, we might get into the problem of people only becoming teachers to get a free degree. I don't know. Is there a compromise we could make on this?
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 07, 2012, 06:50:00 pm »
Ignore

To clarify, you are unfriendly on cutting the section re: state subsidized post-grad education for teachers? And unfriendly to not forcing schools to update textbooks regularly?

I'll easily concede the latter point. How often should we stipulate they update their textbooks? (I'd be all for emphasizing the role of school fundraising here... Maybe the government pays for half the cost of upgrading textbooks every 5 years?)

Still not sure about us paying for master's degrees though. It's a huge and unprecedented cost... Moreover, we might get into the problem of people only becoming teachers to get a free degree. I don't know. Is there a compromise we could make on this?

9.) Teachers shall first undergo a two-week-long observation period of several classrooms, then a three-month-period as a teacher's aide, then a year-long period as an "intern teacher", during which they shall be treated as a full teacher. After that year, the teacher will be evaluated using the same standards delineated in section 1 of this bill to determine whether he or she should be hired. Review of teacher performance shall be performed regularly, as also prescribed in section 1.

10.) In order to teach, teachers must hold a bachelor's degree with a major in an area related to the field in which they wish to teach, or be National Board Certified. The region shall subsidize tuition for teachers studying for a higher degree related to their chosen field (such as a Master's or Doctorate).

These two. I was good with the textbook one. As to the master's/doctorate thing, I think I forgot to update that one (it had something like "after you get the degree, you have to teach in an IDS public school for at least 8 years" or such).

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:11 pm »
Ignore

Hmm. That warms me up to the idea a bit. I'd be curious to see what everyone else thinks.
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: June 08, 2012, 12:21:47 pm »
Ignore

I was thinking about making it public-college only (since those have cheaper tuition).

Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: June 11, 2012, 07:33:46 pm »
Ignore

That would make sense. I don't know how corporations do it where they pay for an employee to get an MBA, but I think there would need to be some limit on the amount of money the degree would cost.
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:54 pm »
Ignore

10.) In order to teach, teachers must hold a bachelor's degree with a major in an area related to the field in which they wish to teach, or be National Board Certified. The region shall reimburse tuition for teachers studying for a higher degree related to a field of study that is relevant to their job up to $12,000 or 75% annually (whichever is greater) at a public university or college, so long as the employee legally agrees to teach in an IDS public school for 5 years following the completion of their degree.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:18:24 pm by SoEA SJoyceFla »Logged

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: June 11, 2012, 09:12:18 pm »
Ignore

I can support that.
(namely because I was literally just about suggest a higher amount Tongue)
At-large Senator Kalwejt
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: June 13, 2012, 04:03:46 pm »
Ignore

I've been quite disconnected from IDS politics and, as Legislator, I'm more an empty seat than any asset. Therefore I resign as IDS legislator.

Good books tell the truth, even when they're about things that never have been and never will be. They're truthful in a different way

Stanisław Lem
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2643 on: June 13, 2012, 04:43:03 pm »
Ignore

Executive order from the Office of the Attorney General, Fuzzybigfoot:

This administration charges the Imperial Region with breaking Second Clause of Section 7, Article 1 of Atlasia's third constitution by creating a regional curency (the "Dibble") under the Second Section of the Trojan Act. 

Due to said violations, Federal Agents will seize control of all exchange places listed in the Trojan Act (including the Imperial Capital of Memphis and all other state capitals in the Southern region) and cease the exchange and distribution of "Dibbles" to all Southern citizens.

Stand by for an impending lawsuit against the Imperial South.

Senator PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: June 13, 2012, 06:10:51 pm »
Ignore

That took a while. They just don't make federal thugs like they used to.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: June 13, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »
Ignore

Should we secede?

In other news, I have a suggestion for the wording of section 1, re: teacher pay.

Pay for teachers shall be re-worked based on a system rewarding seniority and excellent performance. Teacher performance will be judged yearly, based on three components: an assessment of students’ average progression in the instructor’s class, parental evaluation of the teacher, and peer reviews of the educator. The pay system will be structured as follows:
   a) Teachers will be paid a base salary of $40,000 per year.
   b) Pay will increase $1000 for each year of a teacher’s career, up until the teacher has twenty years of experience on the job.
   c) Teachers scoring above the 90th percentile on the yearly assessment will receive a pay bonus of $15,000 for that year. Teachers between the 70th and 90th percentile will receive a bonus of $10,000. Teachers between the 55th percentile and 70th percentile will receive a bonus of $5,000 per year. Teachers scoring below the 30th percentile will have their performance reviewed by a government panel to determine their future as educators.

I have no idea what the amounts should be. But according to this website, teachers would be making way more than they're currently making in Texas.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=2147501688

So any suggestions about the actual amounts would be welcome.
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:56 pm »
Ignore

Hell no. Parental reviews? No way in hell I back this. Salary's good except for the government panel. I have concerns about the other two assessment methods as well.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: June 13, 2012, 07:48:55 pm »
Ignore

what would you suggest? This is the section I'm least looking forward to working on, because I honestly have no idea how to go about doing this.

I support the idea of performance-based boosters, but I can't think of any fool-proof way to measure performance. If it's a test of the kids, you have teachers teaching to the test. If it's based on parental reviews, you get parents writing hearsay reviews. If you get peers to offer their evaluation, the friendlier teachers get rewarded.
HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: June 14, 2012, 01:27:05 am »
Ignore

I would like to present this bill for the consideration of our legislature during this trying time for the Dominion.

Southern Solidarity in Defense of the Dibble Act

1) The IDS Legislature, along with the citizens it represents, harshly condemns the overreach of Atlasia’s federal government in its short illegal occupation of the IDS capital and of the state capitals within the region.
2) This body reaffirms its commitment to the Dibble, a form of privately produced coinage that has never, and will never, constitute legal tender.
3) In solidarity against the federal government’s hostile takeover, June 13th shall be forever observed as “Dibble Defense Day.”
Senator PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: June 14, 2012, 01:44:27 am »
Ignore

Would this put the current debate on hold, or come after it?

BTW, Yelnoc is not around at the moment. Jbrase needs to be confirmed as Special Prosecutor, and I suppose I will open the vote if Yelnoc doesn't show up in the next...18 hours or so. I already PM'd the Legislators, but this is a pubic notice too.

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 171 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout