The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:32:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 295383 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2650 on: June 14, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »

Well, in light of recent events I think we could get it passed quickly... or at least the first two sections. I just think it's an important symbolic gesture.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2651 on: June 14, 2012, 07:02:13 AM »

what would you suggest? This is the section I'm least looking forward to working on, because I honestly have no idea how to go about doing this.

I support the idea of performance-based boosters, but I can't think of any fool-proof way to measure performance. If it's a test of the kids, you have teachers teaching to the test. If it's based on parental reviews, you get parents writing hearsay reviews. If you get peers to offer their evaluation, the friendlier teachers get rewarded.

I'd suggest keeping the salary portion (A, B, & C) intact, but instead of having teachers in the 30th percentile get hauled before a panel, make it 30th percentile among all teachers, within the district, and within the school. You don't want to have all the teachers from a school district with some of the worst scores in the region to all face the panel every year, and you don't want all teachers from a low-performing school there either, but you also don't want teachers from a high-performing school (who are good teachers) whose kids score just in the 30th within their school there either.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2652 on: June 15, 2012, 06:43:01 AM »

Would this put the current debate on hold, or come after it?

BTW, Yelnoc is not around at the moment. Jbrase needs to be confirmed as Special Prosecutor, and I suppose I will open the vote if Yelnoc doesn't show up in the next...18 hours or so. I already PM'd the Legislators, but this is a pubic notice too.

Not sure how this works, but I'll go ahead and say Aye in regards to Jbrase.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2653 on: June 15, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »

Another aye from me for Jbrase.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2654 on: June 16, 2012, 03:42:13 PM »

I didn't open the vote because I thought there weren't enough people to vote, but since there are, I'll open it now. I'll retroactively count Mecha's & Hagrid's votes, if there are no complaints.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2655 on: June 16, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »

I didn't open the vote because I thought there weren't enough people to vote, but since there are, I'll open it now. I'll retroactively count Mecha's & Hagrid's votes, if there are no complaints.

How many would be needed to confirm Jbrase since there's only 4 legislators?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2656 on: June 16, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

How many would be needed to confirm Jbrase since there's only 4 legislators?

I think we only need a majority, which would be three. Yelnoc's on vacation I've heard, so we can do it with all three of our present legislators.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2657 on: June 18, 2012, 07:43:52 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2012, 07:50:08 PM by Yelnoc »

I'm back, so Aye from me if it still counts.  I see we have been sued by the Feds, which is vaguely interesting.  Is the position of Judicial Overlord still vacant, or did you appoint someone, PiT? I see Pingvin was appointed back in May.  I wish I had been able to make it to the election.  Regardless, welcome to our new member, AdamGriffith!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2658 on: June 18, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »

I'm back, so Aye from me if it still counts.  I see we have been sued by the Feds, which is vaguely interesting.  Is the position of Judicial Overlord still vacant, or did you appoint someone, PiT? I see Pingvin was appointed back in May.  I wish I had been able to make it to the election.  Regardless, welcome to our new member, AdamGriffith!

Thanks for the welcome, Yelnoc! I'm looking forward to getting started. Do our terms begin immediately or is there an official inauguration day?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2659 on: June 18, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, Yelnoc! I'm looking forward to getting started. Do our terms begin immediately or is there an official inauguration day?
No, just make sure you swear in the swearing in thread up in the main government board.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2660 on: June 19, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »

I think Legislators swear in immediately for Class B, even though the Emperor waits until the first Friday of next month, due to complications that may arise from someone running who was vacating another office. That may be something worth looking into down the road.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2661 on: June 19, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2012, 07:16:34 PM by Yelnoc »

I think Legislators swear in immediately for Class B, even though the Emperor waits until the first Friday of next month, due to complications that may arise from someone running who was vacating another office. That may be something worth looking into down the road.
Yeah, seems like we always have some messy technicalities to sort out.  Which reminds me of a new bill idea...

*Yel scurries off*

Oh yeah, the education bill.  The initial sponsor has gone onto greater things, while the next sponsor just lost reelection.  Is anyone else interested in taking on sponsorship?  I, personally, have other things I would like to move onto, and was never particularly interested in this bill.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2662 on: June 19, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »

I don't particularly care about the education bill either. Problem is, I would have to sign or veto it if it reached my desk, so I can't really afford to be non-committal about it.

The lawsuit is now up. As such, I think we should hasten to name Jbrase the Special Prosecutor. Would you like to do the honors of a well-conducted vote, Yelnoc?
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2663 on: June 19, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

I don't particularly care about the education bill either. Problem is, I would have to sign or veto it if it reached my desk, so I can't really afford to be non-committal about it.

The lawsuit is now up. As such, I think we should hasten to name Jbrase the Special Prosecutor. Would you like to do the honors of a well-conducted vote, Yelnoc?
I thought that was an appointed position?  But sure.

All in favor of appointing Jbrase as "Special Prosecutor" to defend the IDS in the federal lawsuit vote Aye.  All opposed, Nay.

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2664 on: June 19, 2012, 09:22:24 PM »

Appointed & then confirmed by an emergency vote of the Legislature. I guess in case I wanted to sabotage the region's case by appointing a duck or something.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2665 on: June 19, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »

Aye, assuming my vote is valid at this point.

By the way, I'm stirring over a proposal regarding activity that I'd like to present in the coming days. I still want to work out the details prior to speaking directly about it, however.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2666 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »

Aye, assuming my vote is valid at this point.

No worries, it's valid.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2667 on: June 20, 2012, 01:25:37 AM »

Just dropping in to say I really have no interest in the education bill, so don't feel like you guys have to continue with it. I was just trying to keep things going.

Hope the shake-up will help get activity back up. See y'all in August.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2668 on: June 20, 2012, 12:28:18 PM »

Just dropping in to say I really have no interest in the education bill, so don't feel like you guys have to continue with it. I was just trying to keep things going.

Hope the shake-up will help get activity back up. See y'all in August.

I have interest in the education bill...
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2669 on: June 20, 2012, 03:27:24 PM »

I vote aye
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2670 on: June 20, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »

Well then, that's a majority, Jbrase is appointed Special Prosecutor.

We in the IDS don't have a tabling procedure, and I believe the quickest way to remove legislation from the que is for it to be brought to vote and then defeated by nays.  So I'll give my fellow legislators some time to have some last words, perhaps an appeal to continue working on the bill, and then bring it as it stands to a vote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2671 on: June 20, 2012, 11:08:12 PM »

Well technically, the bill doesn't have a sponsor anymore, no? I think you could say that the bill is removed from the floor due to lack of sponsorship.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2672 on: June 21, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »

Well technically, the bill doesn't have a sponsor anymore, no? I think you could say that the bill is removed from the floor due to lack of sponsorship.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  Roll Eyes

So then, the next order of business...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Needs Work, obviously. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2673 on: June 22, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

Any particular reason it doesn't go the other way? A Class B Legislator being elected to a Class A seat is a potential problem too.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2674 on: June 22, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2012, 06:08:41 PM by Yelnoc »

Any particular reason it doesn't go the other way? A Class B Legislator being elected to a Class A seat is a potential problem too.
Right, right, it was just a rough concept.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The bill we're trying to amend isn't on the wiki, so we'll have to dig through this thread for it.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies