The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:07:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 295357 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2725 on: June 27, 2012, 11:26:04 AM »

Yel, how does this sound? plus this should get rid of some of Duke's nightmares about carpetbaggers under his bed Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2726 on: June 27, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »

Will Oklahoma be included under this plan?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2727 on: June 27, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »

Will Oklahoma be included under this plan?

I will enthusiastically support this bill... new vacation homes in Oklahoma.

If you want to protect yourself from a scenario where all citizens of the Mideast and Midwest move to these states (Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, Virginia, or West Virginia) in order to have two votes, you could add a clause which specifies that only citizens who have lived in these states for at least 6 months or even a year shall be granted this right.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2728 on: June 27, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »

On further thought, I'll almost certainly veto any version of this bill that does not incorporate Mideast Governor ZuWo's suggestion. As Adam Griffin pointed out, this would just lead to our elections being subverted by Midwestern plants angling for a hostile takeover of the region.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2729 on: June 27, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »

On further thought, I'll almost certainly veto any version of this bill that does not incorporate Mideast Governor ZuWo's suggestion. As Adam Griffin pointed out, this would just lead to our elections being subverted by Midwestern plants angling for a hostile takeover of the region.

The amendment version I introduced a few posts up has it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2730 on: June 27, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »

The amendment version I introduced a few posts up has it.

I just realized, I don't think the RG makes a permanent note of intraregional moves. If so, the only way to enforce this would be to search the RG thread or the New Register Thread going back four months.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2731 on: June 27, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »

My concern about the constitutionality of granting people in those states two votes remains. Why is it fair for them to vote in two regions while the rest of us can only vote in 1? What if I want to vote in the Northeast elections because a lot of people in Charleston are from the North and many people don't consider us "southern" anymore?

And carpetbaggers can suck off our southern tit for 4 months to get what they want. Don't put it past them.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2732 on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »

My concern about the constitutionality of granting people in those states two votes remains. Why is it fair for them to vote in two regions while the rest of us can only vote in 1? What if I want to vote in the Northeast elections because a lot of people in Charleston are from the North and many people don't consider us "southern" anymore?
My amendment seeks to solve this problem by giving people in the states in question a choice on whether or not they want to participate in Mideastern or Southern elections.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2733 on: June 27, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »

My amendment seeks to solve this problem by giving people in the states in question a choice on whether or not they want to participate in Mideastern or Southern elections.

That might cool my jets for now, but I still don't like the whole idea of this bill. If the people in the states mentioned feel oppressed in the Mideast and would rather be in this region, and who can blame them for wanting to join this wonderful group, they should annex themselves and declare their allegiance to God, Senator Duke, and the southern land.

A few years ago, the rogue regime who followed mine up and renamed us from the Dirty South to the Imperial Dominion. It's high time we started acting like imperialists and begin claiming land that is rightfully ours!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2734 on: June 27, 2012, 04:47:22 PM »

That might cool my jets for now, but I still don't like the whole idea of this bill. If the people in the states mentioned feel oppressed in the Mideast and would rather be in this region, and who can blame them for wanting to join this wonderful group, they should annex themselves and declare their allegiance to God, Senator Duke, and the southern land.

A few years ago, the rogue regime who followed mine up and renamed us from the Dirty South to the Imperial Dominion. It's high time we started acting like imperialists and begin claiming land that is rightfully ours!
Seems to me like this bill is a tacit claim of what the IDS considers to be integral pieces of its territory, assuming it passes.  It would provide a legal history of claims in the Atlasian context, rather than forcing irredentists to refer to American history to support their claims.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2735 on: June 27, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »

In all seriousness, if someone really wants to vote in IDS elections, they should just move to the IDS.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2736 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

But we are basing the whole point of this bill off American history. The states in question are considered to be part of the south in American history, but never in Atlasian history has Kentucky, Virginia and the like been part of the south. If we are looking at this squarely through an Atlasian lens, then it makes no sense and there is no argument to support it. It isn't like its hard to move to the South if they want to vote in our elections so badly.

Now, if Rep JBrase wants to embrace my idea of becoming true imperialists with the goal of growing the Southland, I am all for it. So far, it just seems like pseudo imperialism, giving some citizens a choice to vote for us or the mideast. I just can't make any sense of it in my mind.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2737 on: June 27, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2012, 05:13:20 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

There's a bill I introduced that'll do exactly that. We need a colony (or several colonies) if we are truly to be an Empire.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2738 on: June 27, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »

But we are basing the whole point of this bill off American history. The states in question are considered to be part of the south in American history, but never in Atlasian history has Kentucky, Virginia and the like been part of the south. If we are looking at this squarely through an Atlasian lens, then it makes no sense and there is no argument to support it. It isn't like its hard to move to the South if they want to vote in our elections so badly.

Now, if Rep JBrase wants to embrace my idea of becoming true imperialists with the goal of growing the Southland, I am all for it. So far, it just seems like pseudo imperialism, giving some citizens a choice to vote for us or the mideast. I just can't make any sense of it in my mind.

That's what made me think. Oklahoma & Missouri have plenty of claim to being Southern in real life. In Atlasia though, they've been home to such left-wingers as opebo and Lewis Trondheim; these states are not home to friends of the South. If we allow Oklahoma in, we're basically asking for a left-wing purge of the regional government.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2739 on: June 27, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »

I withdraw my bill.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2740 on: June 27, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »

What specific mechanisms will ensure this? Let me throw out a scenario:

Early July: Several individuals relocate to Oklahoma, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri and Virginia.

Early November: (4) month residency requirement is met.

November 16: IDS holds elections, individuals in above-mentioned states vote in IDS.

November 23: Other region holds elections, individuals in above-mentioned states vote in their respective regions.

While you could ban said individuals from participating in future IDS elections, it really only takes one to initiate a takeover.

That's what made me think. Oklahoma & Missouri have plenty of claim to being Southern in real life. In Atlasia though, they've been home to such left-wingers as opebo and Lewis Trondheim; these states are not home to friends of the South. If we allow Oklahoma in, we're basically asking for a left-wing purge of the regional government.

Even though I gave a specific example, there would be just as likely the chance of a right-wing assault from the Whigs in the Mideast. I don't think that result would be any more desirable.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw this was withdrawn.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2741 on: June 27, 2012, 09:55:36 PM »

Even though I gave a specific example, there would be just as likely the chance of a right-wing assault from the Whigs in the Mideast. I don't think that result would be any more desirable.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw this was withdrawn.

Well, the Mideast is a very active & vibrant region whereas the Midwest is close to dead. Mideasterners would have much less reason to involve themselves in IDS politics than Midwesterners would. Still, the bill is withdrawn, so it's not a big deal now.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2742 on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »

Once again, The People claim victory. Three cheers for Us!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2743 on: June 28, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »

In that case, on to the next item in the que.  Which I, in my tyrannical position of Speaker, decree is this bill, which has been clogging the bin since Spring (to those who are new/recently awakened from slumber, we were debating SJoyce's education bill forever).

Sponsor: Yelnoc (for SJoyce, who originally added it to the que when he was a legislator...and since it's been several months I feel obligated to bring it up).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2744 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:17 PM »

Thank you Mr. Speaker. This bill is designed to ensure that emergency services have time to react to and contain oil spills through mandating that all future oil and gas drilling occurs at least 10.5 Admiralty Nautical Miles from the mean low tide mark, meaning that in the event of an oil spill, there is at least 10.5 ANM that the oil will have to travel before hitting shore, thus allowing emergency services to take action before oil hits our shorelines, where it is much more difficult to remove and thus negatively impacts the tourism industry much more than simply being in the water. It will also allow military training/weapons testing to continue unhindered by the presence of obstacles. That is the bill.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2745 on: June 28, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »

I shall support this bill.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2746 on: June 29, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »

I see no negatives here.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2747 on: June 29, 2012, 12:30:15 AM »

I am concerned about this possibly unduly impacting oil companies. Is there any estimate on the cost they will incur moving whatever infrastructure they might have within 10.5 nautical miles of the shoreline further out?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2748 on: June 29, 2012, 12:37:56 AM »

I doubt the cost will be much and the entire rig is designed to be able to float to wherever they want.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2749 on: June 29, 2012, 10:55:10 AM »

Alright, that should be cool then.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 115 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length