The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:23:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 296509 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2775 on: July 02, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »

Sad to see you go, Yel.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2776 on: July 02, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »

Thanks for your outstanding service in the Legislature, Yelnoc.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2777 on: July 03, 2012, 04:10:10 AM »

I've known little of you, but thanks anyway for your service as speaker.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2778 on: July 03, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »

Course, every cloud has a silver lining. I'm back in the Legislature!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2779 on: July 03, 2012, 09:46:02 AM »

Yelnoc- I'm sorry to see you go... you've held this role since I joined this board and you've done very well...
     I would like to thank Yelnoc for his distinguished service to this region. Whatever you end up doing in life, you have my support.
Thanks for your outstanding service in the Legislature, Yelnoc.
I've known little of you, but thanks anyway for your service as speaker.
Thank all of you for the kind words.  I've enjoyed the past two years here, but it's time for me to move on.  I look forward too seeing where you guys take this region; don't let me down! Wink

Though I'm no longer a member of this body, for the record, you are confirmed as Imperial Speaker by acclamation.  Cary the office with dignity, Jbrase, and good luck.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2780 on: July 03, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »

Well I suppose we need to move along to new business now. Good luck yel, and Nym bless.

I bring to the floor:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Aaaaaand go.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2781 on: July 03, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »

I oppose this bill as an attack on the liberties of legislators to exercise personal choice in how they conduct themselves.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2782 on: July 03, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »

I oppose the linking requirement, mainly because I'm not sure how to do that.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2783 on: July 03, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »

I agree with BritishDixie, these requirements of the conduct of Legislators are problematic. Maybe one of us should PM a monthly newsletter to the citizens of the region, unless they specifically ask not to be PMed.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2784 on: July 03, 2012, 03:46:22 PM »

I support cause, but they have a good point. Forcing people to do this seems going a bit far. If we remove the mandate in the law that people must do one of those then the bill becomes nothing more than a suggestion. I propose we voluntarily follow AndyGriffith's proposal, but not force it on anyone.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2785 on: July 03, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »

Actually, this reminds me, I'm supposed to post notices of bills that pass on the regular board.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2786 on: July 03, 2012, 10:37:23 PM »

God forbid Legislators have any real requirements in regards to providing an actual service to this game. There is the fantasy aspect of Atlasia and there is also the real and strategic aspect of it, and it's a shame that some are neglecting the strategy.

Forum awareness and advertising are crucial to our region's success, considering how inactive it is currently. From what I gather, we've rebounded quite a bit in recent months but the initial problem with inactivity is still apparent. We're slightly more active than the Midwest but when you consider the difference in legislatures, we would probably be even less active than the Midwest if we too had a universal legislature. Honestly, how do the Imperialists expect to take over anything with 10 people?

There are requirements to serving in the Legislature and requirements imposed upon Legislators while serving. Your choice is made when you choose to accept the position as Legislator. If you miss 7 days of session, for example, you are automatically expelled.

Let's not also forget that the title in question is publicly bestowed and "forced" upon us by the very same legislature we represent:

By simple interpretation of existing laws and definitions, we are already required to address and identify one another as Legislator. Our titles are bestowed by the public, and as such there is no guaranteed right for any Legislator to choose not to disclose their titles to the public that elected them. Some might argue that they can effectively "tell" people who they are and what titles they hold, but a forum only has two somewhat constant identifying traits: your name and your signature. They are the property of Dave, Nym and Atlasia, and only that.

As for the signature, you are not given any mandate as to the content, ideology or even region that you advertise. It is a non-partisan proposal that allows all IDS Legislators to passively advocate for increased involvement in this region. I'd hate to see the ensuing battle if I had actually submitted a bill advocating active recruitment on behalf of Legislators.

Oh, and it's just a game. So let's save the personal liberty argument for proposals dealing with more than five residents of the IDS and vote for activity!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2787 on: July 03, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 10:50:18 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Forum awareness and advertising are crucial to our region's success, considering how inactive it is currently. From what I gather, we've rebounded quite a bit in recent months but the initial problem with inactivity is still apparent. We're slightly more active than the Midwest but when you consider the difference in legislatures, we would probably be even less active than the Midwest if we too had a universal legislature. Honestly, how do the Imperialists expect to take over anything with 10 people?

You forgot the Pacific, which has done in the last several weeks what professionals refer to as 'jack sh*t' Tongue

Seriously, though, I support this bill now that I know how to comply with it; there's no enforcement mechanism anyhow.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2788 on: July 03, 2012, 10:45:49 PM »

None of the current requirements are enforced & this one probably won't be either. If it's what you folks want, then so be it. I just don't see much point in it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2789 on: July 03, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »

Maybe if we changed the "72 hours after" to "prior to"?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2790 on: July 04, 2012, 08:57:57 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2012, 04:53:04 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

That should change it enough to comply with the Court's ruling. Privately exchanged, previously existing, etc.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2791 on: July 04, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »

Adam, do you accept these changes?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2792 on: July 04, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »

I would like to thank Jbrase for his work in defending the laws of the region against federal aggression. I take it SJoyceFla is volunteering to defend the region this time? Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2793 on: July 04, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2012, 02:40:58 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

I would like to thank Jbrase for his work in defending the laws of the region against federal aggression. I take it SJoyceFla is volunteering to defend the region this time? Tongue

Optimist: There should be no need to do that, as two of the things the court had an issue with (it not existing beforehand and it being publicly exchanged) are now absent.

Pessimist: I guess so. It may be modified enough to fit the ruling.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2794 on: July 04, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2012, 04:04:20 PM by IDS Legislator Griffin »

In spirit, but I offer an amendment to Section 1 that allows our most accomplished legislators to showcase their aptly-earned titles:

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2795 on: July 04, 2012, 04:03:58 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2012, 04:29:58 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

One more thing...

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2796 on: July 04, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »

^As a concerned citizen, I would suggest the following ammendment just for clarity's sake.

This bill will be an important step forward for all IDS residents wishing to trade in decorative stamped metals. I urge everyone to support it. Cheesy
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2797 on: July 04, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »

^As a concerned citizen, I would suggest the following ammendment just for clarity's sake.

This bill will be an important step forward for all IDS residents wishing to trade in decorative stamped metals. I urge everyone to support it. Cheesy

Amended!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2798 on: July 04, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »

I oppose any attempts to force legislatures to list links/banners in their signatures or change their usernames. Any legislature is free to do as they wish, but it isn't the government's job to mandate it. I've always changed my name to my corresponding office and I might change my current name to my office, but no law should be passed requiring me to do so.

And I promise to break any law passed that requires me to put banners/links in my signature, so we may as well amend to establish a fine of sorts for those refusing to follow rules.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2799 on: July 05, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »

Vote time

------

Aye
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length