The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:18:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 296744 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3125 on: October 04, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Current form of the bill, with Duke's amendment. Don't see any more issues. Want to move this to a final vote?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3126 on: October 04, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »

What are the rival suggestions we're left with now ? I kind of lost track of these.

Colombus, Mississippi and San Juan, I believe.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3127 on: October 06, 2012, 06:27:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As it has been over 48 (just about 68) hours since there has been any debate on this bill (any suggestions for changes or general opposition to any provisions), so acting on my authority as speaker pro tem (I think I'm still speaker pro tem), I declare this bill to be at final vote. Legislators, please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

If I'm not, then I request this bill go to final vote.

If I am, then AYE.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3128 on: October 06, 2012, 10:17:47 AM »

Bill is at final vote:

Aye
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3129 on: October 06, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »

Aye
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3130 on: October 06, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »

Aye
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3131 on: October 06, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »

If I need to restate it since I don't have that power anymore, Aye.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3132 on: October 06, 2012, 05:49:44 PM »

I regretfully inform you that, as of today, the former "Imperial Dominion of the South" ceased to exist and the Commonwealth of Midwest shall annex it's former territory.

Your service is no longer required. Please go home.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3133 on: October 06, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »

I regretfully inform you that, as of today, the former "Imperial Dominion of the South" ceased to exist and the Commonwealth of Midwest shall annex it's former territory.

Good show, agent. Keep the reports coming.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3134 on: October 07, 2012, 02:14:43 AM »

Your lack of respect has been noted.

Consequences are on the way.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3135 on: October 07, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »

The bill passes and awaits the Emperor:

Also I direct the capitol security to arrest this Polish invader.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3136 on: October 07, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »

At long last, it is finished:

On the Is Our Children Learning Bill: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3137 on: October 08, 2012, 01:04:43 AM »

Your lack of respect has been noted.

Consequences are on the way.

Did he get the Dibbles?

At long last, it is finished:

On the Is Our Children Learning Bill: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3138 on: October 08, 2012, 11:11:35 AM »

Because of need to defend our own homeland, the Commonwealth of Midwest mercifully decides against annexing this savage country.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3139 on: October 08, 2012, 01:35:26 PM »

Now we should decide on the suggestions for the university location.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3140 on: October 08, 2012, 02:15:51 PM »

I propose San Juan, Puerto Rico, as it currently possesses the lowest GDP per capita of all major metro areas in the IDS, and needs something big, like this university, to get it on track to parity with the rest of the IDS. It also keeps Fed U from being too close to the heart of our region.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3141 on: October 08, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »

Do we really want to ship our brightest and most beautiful out to San Juan? It will only encourage non-intellectual things!

Is this the federal university the government just imposed on us?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3142 on: October 08, 2012, 02:54:12 PM »

Columbus, MS falls nearly in the dead geographical center of the region - taking the opposite approach that the Legislator from Florida has proposed. It also is roughly the same distance from three metropolitan areas - Birmingham, Jackson and Memphis - with easy access from both I-55 and I-20/59.

Mississippi is the poorest contiguous state by measure of per capita income in the IDS ($27,000), with Columbus ranking far below that ($17,000). The latter number is just a bit higher than the per capita income for the city of San Juan ($13,000). Considering an adjusted cost of living between the two cities, I feel that the argument can be made that my proposed city is actually poorer in terms of real purchasing power than San Juan.

Unless the Legislator from Florida wishes to extend his HSR proposal to include a Miami > Matanzas > Port de Paix > San Juan line, his proposal would be an utter waste - as it is designed to be, it would seem. While the residents of our off-shore territories deserve access to quality education, I cannot in good faith support such a proposal while knowing its true intent. Those against the allocation and subsequent mandate of how said funds should be spent due to ideological differences should not turn around and attempt to waste the funds in order to render them ineffective. Such an action, in my opinion, is worse than the result from which they appear to be running.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3143 on: October 08, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »

Unless the Legislator from Florida wishes to extend his HSR proposal to include a Miami > Matanzas > Port de Paix > San Juan line, his proposal would be an utter waste - as it is designed to be, it would seem. While the residents of our off-shore territories deserve access to quality education, I cannot in good faith support such a proposal while knowing its true intent. Those against the allocation and subsequent mandate of how said funds should be spent due to ideological differences should not turn around and attempt to waste the funds in order to render them ineffective. Such an action, in my opinion, is worse than the result from which they appear to be running.

Given our current state of technological advancement, your proposal is not technologically possible.

Is this the federal university the government just imposed on us?

Yep.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3144 on: October 08, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »

Given our current state of technological advancement, your proposal is not technologically possible.

Precisely.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3145 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »

Precisely.

So your point is that since we lack the technology those people should just lack a truly high-caliber university?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3146 on: October 08, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »

So your point is that since we lack the technology those people should just lack a truly high-caliber university?

No. My point is that in a region of approximately 90,000,000 people, you do not place a national university on the one island of the region that is more than 1,000 linear miles away from the next closest part of the region and that has a population of less than 4,000,000 people. I suppose you could propose subsidizing airfare to the university for all attending students who do not hail from Puerto Rico, but accessibility does not appear to be one of your concerns. Seriously, Miami is farther away from San Juan than it is from Nyman. When you consider and weight the level of poverty, the number of impoverished residents and also the ability for those impoverished residents to benefit from and be able to access the university, then the clear answer is to place it in the Heart of Dixie.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3147 on: October 08, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »

No. My point is that in a region of approximately 90,000,000 people, you do not place a national university on the one island of the region that is more than 1,000 linear miles away from the next closest part of the region and that has a population of less than 4,000,000 people. I suppose you could propose subsidizing airfare to the university for all attending students who do not hail from Puerto Rico, but accessibility does not appear to be one of your concerns. Seriously, Miami is farther away from San Juan than it is from Nyman. When you consider and weight the level of poverty, the number of impoverished residents and also the ability for those impoverished residents to benefit from and be able to access the university, then the clear answer is to place it in the Heart of Dixie.

You're catching on. I would suggest Mentone, Texas as an alternate location.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3148 on: October 08, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »

You're catching on. I would suggest Mentone, Texas as an alternate location.

So rather than pass on the federal assistance, you simply wish to waste it. Glad to see those limited-government principles are holding true and steady.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3149 on: October 08, 2012, 06:57:21 PM »

I actually think New Orleans could be a good choice. It's quite central in the South. With all the rebuilding taking place there, they wouldn't mind building a university on top, that would attract bright young people from all over the South to the city, and some of them would settle there and start flourishing businesses that the city can recover with.

Plus, if the students get too out of hand at some point, we'd just need to wait for another Katrina to wash them to the sea...
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies