The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:29:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 295612 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3225 on: October 29, 2012, 07:06:32 PM »

What if I abstain? Then will I force PiT's hand?

I assume this position is non-partisan, correct, and when I look for a leader of the senate, I want someone who is active and has a history of being active. Both of these guys qualify and thus explains my dilemma. SJoyce did a good job with JBrase's absence, etc..

The position is the prerogative of its holder, really. It has never been partisan in the past, but I wonder if that will remain the case. The voting breakdown of the other four Legislators looks vaguely partisan (small sample size, granted). Tongue

I'm not exactly sure how I'd make it partisan. Refuse to introduce certain legislation? We've had enough times without legislation in the queue it probably isn't possible to keep up.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3226 on: October 30, 2012, 03:44:02 AM »

What if I abstain? Then will I force PiT's hand?

I assume this position is non-partisan, correct, and when I look for a leader of the senate, I want someone who is active and has a history of being active. Both of these guys qualify and thus explains my dilemma. SJoyce did a good job with JBrase's absence, etc..

The position is the prerogative of its holder, really. It has never been partisan in the past, but I wonder if that will remain the case. The voting breakdown of the other four Legislators looks vaguely partisan (small sample size, granted). Tongue

I'm not exactly sure how I'd make it partisan. Refuse to introduce certain legislation? We've had enough times without legislation in the queue it probably isn't possible to keep up.

Something like that. I don't know if we ever actually gave the Speaker the ability to not introduce certain bills, though.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The honorable member from the delightful state of Florida is a well deserving candidate. I am privileged to have the opportunity to cast a ballot in his name. Smiley

I'm not saying that either of the esteemed Legislators in question would use the post for partisan advancement.  I am merely...observing that the breakdown of the vote so far would not be unexpected were this a partisan office.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3227 on: October 30, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »

Yeah, the PPT in the senate evolved from a non-partisan to a partisan position during the height of the RPP/JCP domination of the game. Most notably when Kal voted to break the tie to throw NC Yankee out.

The problem is, both these guys have arguably been far more active than our last Speaker. I really think it would be unfair and I would be cast into some sort of bitter partisan depending on which way I vote because of the way the others have voted.

From what I have seen and know, Griffin is a strong and active legislator, and I have no doubt he would do a fine job in the position. I don't have the relationship with SJoyce I have with Griffin, but he's been around a long time as well, and I trust either one of these guys would do a fine job.

I just don't want to be the one to cast the tie breaking vote Tongue
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3228 on: October 30, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »

To the honourable member from South Carolina, I am reminded that "Some have greatness thrust upon them."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3229 on: October 30, 2012, 10:51:32 PM »

Yeah, the PPT in the senate evolved from a non-partisan to a partisan position during the height of the RPP/JCP domination of the game. Most notably when Kal voted to break the tie to throw NC Yankee out.

The problem is, both these guys have arguably been far more active than our last Speaker. I really think it would be unfair and I would be cast into some sort of bitter partisan depending on which way I vote because of the way the others have voted.

From what I have seen and know, Griffin is a strong and active legislator, and I have no doubt he would do a fine job in the position. I don't have the relationship with SJoyce I have with Griffin, but he's been around a long time as well, and I trust either one of these guys would do a fine job.

I just don't want to be the one to cast the tie breaking vote Tongue

How about we make them co-speakers? Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3230 on: November 01, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »

No comments on my suggestion? Sad
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3231 on: November 01, 2012, 01:02:21 AM »

No comments on my suggestion? Sad

How would that work in a practical sense?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3232 on: November 01, 2012, 01:50:01 AM »

The position is largely by the book. There's little potential for conflict in administering votes and such unless someone tries to be blatantly unfair and close votes early and such.

The big obstacle I see is forming a queue of bills. I'd suggest making a post in the Imperial Almanac thread with a queue and just make sure that you both agree on it. One person could be a contrarian to cause problems and gridlock, but I am confident that you are both mature enough to do no such thing.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3233 on: November 01, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »

The position is largely by the book. There's little potential for conflict in administering votes and such unless someone tries to be blatantly unfair and close votes early and such.

The big obstacle I see is forming a queue of bills. I'd suggest making a post in the Imperial Almanac thread with a queue and just make sure that you both agree on it. One person could be a contrarian to cause problems and gridlock, but I am confident that you are both mature enough to do no such thing.

I wouldn't mind it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3234 on: November 01, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »

I'm OK with this. I'd like to set a standard of how proposed legislation is brought to the floor: simple chronology. That's really the only fair way to do it.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3235 on: November 01, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »

I'm OK with this. I'd like to set a standard of how proposed legislation is brought to the floor: simple chronology. That's really the only fair way to do it.

Unless there's time constraints on the legislation, yes.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3236 on: November 01, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »

Unless there's time constraints on the legislation, yes.

I concur.

So can we officiate this and get the Legislature running again?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3237 on: November 01, 2012, 05:06:07 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2012, 05:08:06 PM by Ben Kenobi »

Mr. Speaker, this is a terrible proposition. A decision must be made, if not by Duke, then by the Emperor. We cannot have two speakers.

Mr. Speaker, I ask our Honorable Emperor if he chooses "High or low".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3238 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »

Mr. Speaker, this is a terrible proposition. A decision must be made, if not by Duke, then by the Emperor. We cannot have two speakers.

Mr. Speaker, I ask our Honorable Emperor if he chooses "High or low".

I do not understand what you mean by "high or low".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3239 on: November 02, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »

This is a waste of time. I am opening an immediate vote, to last 72 hours, on naming both Legislator Adam Griffin and Legislator SJoyceFla Imperial co-Speakers.

[ ] Aye
[ ] Nay
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3240 on: November 02, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »

Aye
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3241 on: November 02, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »

"naming both Legislator Adam Griffin and Legislator SJoyceFla Imperial co-Speakers."

[ ] Aye
[X] Nay
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3242 on: November 02, 2012, 05:55:21 PM »

"I do not understand what you mean by "high or low". "

Mr Speaker, In response to the Emperor's comment, I intend to run 10 numbers for both candidate. If the Emperor chooses high - the candidate with the highest number will be Speaker.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3243 on: November 03, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »

aye
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3244 on: November 03, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »

[X] Yes

I vote Yes to the aforementioned proposal of making both candidates co-Speakers. I think it is a first time in Atlasia, even though I really only say that because it feels a bit newish.

I would like to apologize to my fellow Legislators for my absence these few last days, as I didn't have access to a proper computer the whole time. I have yet another week of holiday to go IRL so I will be active here as it should be !

Really this idea of a co-Speakership pleases me more and more. It is a truly wonderful way of representing the diversity that our Region is displaying nowadays, being at the same time the stronghold of the most liberal and the most conservative party of Atlasia. I'm sure our co-Speakers will work their way into good functioning of their office.

I'm guessing the Emperor should retain the power to organize a new vote on the office if any difficulty should appear, or if one of the co-Speakers should misbehave and cross a line.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3245 on: November 03, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »

[X] Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3246 on: November 03, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »

With 4 votes in favor and 1 against, I will take the opportunity to close the vote and name Adam Griffin and SJoyceFla co-speakers. I'll admit that this arrangement is not what I had in mind, yet it is difficult to decide on one highly-qualified individual over another. This seemed to be a speedy means of resolution, and so I decided to pursue it.

Ultimately, we have all been elected by The People to enact Their will. I believed that we had been spending too much time on this organizational matter. Now that that is done with, let us move forward and discuss legislative matters, those issues that the voters entrusted us to deal with.

[X] Yes

I vote Yes to the aforementioned proposal of making both candidates co-Speakers. I think it is a first time in Atlasia, even though I really only say that because it feels a bit newish.

I would like to apologize to my fellow Legislators for my absence these few last days, as I didn't have access to a proper computer the whole time. I have yet another week of holiday to go IRL so I will be active here as it should be !

Really this idea of a co-Speakership pleases me more and more. It is a truly wonderful way of representing the diversity that our Region is displaying nowadays, being at the same time the stronghold of the most liberal and the most conservative party of Atlasia. I'm sure our co-Speakers will work their way into good functioning of their office.

I'm guessing the Emperor should retain the power to organize a new vote on the office if any difficulty should appear, or if one of the co-Speakers should misbehave and cross a line.

I don't know about the other regions, but we've never even had a contested election to the speakership before. Things have changed around here.

The rules of the Legislature are largely a matter of tradition. We've always allowed the Speaker to oversee the Legislature for as long as he saw fit, though I am open to change. If the other Legislators have a complaint about the conduct of one or both of the co-Speakers, I think voting on the matter would be good.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3247 on: November 03, 2012, 07:21:08 PM »

Mr. SJoyce, as the legitimate speaker of this house, may I ask the membership what bills they plan to put forth this term? It would be nice to see some actual legislation put forth.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3248 on: November 03, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »

Mr. SJoyce, as the legitimate speaker of this house, may I ask the membership what bills they plan to put forth this term? It would be nice to see some actual legislation put forth.

Looking at the queue right now, we have the revised form of my "Imperial Empiricism Act", a petition of Dave to make our own subboard separate from the other regional governments (purely symbolic), my bill to modify commercial animal breeding facilities, a national park one I was going to work on some more, Griffin's blue law bill, a declaration of Aliya Mustafina day, and a tips & commission act.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3249 on: November 03, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »

Mr. SJoyceFla, as the honourable speaker, and as the elected representative for the state of Texas I would like to add three bills to the Order paper.

One, the Bill for the expansion of nuclear power in the IDS.
Two, the Bill for the formation of individual congressional representation for the IDS - in plans with the proposed congress of the United States of America.
Three, the bill for the invasion and annexation of Coahila and Taumalipas. 
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 [130] 131 132 133 134 135 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies