The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:05:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 297676 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3450 on: December 13, 2012, 02:16:55 AM »

Just saying, I'm not interested in creating a minimum hours requirement, though I suppose that is a lesser problem than that presented by the existence of dry counties. Any chance we can strike the minimum from the bill?

I would argue that without a minimum, any jurisdiction could bypass the requirement of no longer being dry by implementing an alcohol sales period of one hour or so per day. That would effectively keep such jurisdictions "dry" in actuality.

But we could say then that jurisdictions cannot legislate hours of legal sales. My problem is that the bill as written requires a restaurant with a bar to sell alcohol during these hours. Perhaps they want to start selling alcohol at 9 PM instead of 8 PM. Well, they don't get to do that unless they want to shut down for the hour of 8-9 PM. That just isn't cool, if you ask me.

Can I interpret this to mean that you wish to allow an alcohol sales time-frame that is not regulated by local, state or regional government - rather, determined by private entities?

Furthermore, does this get us into amendment territory?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3451 on: December 13, 2012, 04:07:11 AM »

Just saying, I'm not interested in creating a minimum hours requirement, though I suppose that is a lesser problem than that presented by the existence of dry counties. Any chance we can strike the minimum from the bill?

I would argue that without a minimum, any jurisdiction could bypass the requirement of no longer being dry by implementing an alcohol sales period of one hour or so per day. That would effectively keep such jurisdictions "dry" in actuality.

But we could say then that jurisdictions cannot legislate hours of legal sales. My problem is that the bill as written requires a restaurant with a bar to sell alcohol during these hours. Perhaps they want to start selling alcohol at 9 PM instead of 8 PM. Well, they don't get to do that unless they want to shut down for the hour of 8-9 PM. That just isn't cool, if you ask me.

Can I interpret this to mean that you wish to allow an alcohol sales time-frame that is not regulated by local, state or regional government - rather, determined by private entities?

Furthermore, does this get us into amendment territory?

Pretty much. I think that such decisions as the circumstances of selling a certain product to legal buyers thereof should be left to the sellers. I'm not sure why that would require an amendment, though.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3452 on: December 13, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »

Pretty much. I think that such decisions as the circumstances of selling a certain product to legal buyers thereof should be left to the sellers. I'm not sure why that would require an amendment, though.

Cheesy You should have just said so!

I offer a heavily-amended version of my initial proposal:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3453 on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:43 AM »

My apologies. Communicating oneself properly through type can be quite difficult. No matter how much practice you get, there are sometimes when you just can't make your point well enough.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3454 on: December 13, 2012, 05:33:49 AM »

Well then. Concerns addressed.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3455 on: December 13, 2012, 05:48:29 AM »

Seeing as how it appears a supermajority of Legislators' wishes have been considered, I bring the amended version to the floor for a vote.

Please cast your ballots in the affirmative, negative or an abstention.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3456 on: December 13, 2012, 05:51:54 AM »

AYE
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3457 on: December 13, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »

NAY!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3458 on: December 13, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »

Abstain.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3459 on: December 14, 2012, 12:49:01 PM »

Aye
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3460 on: December 15, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »

I'll vote Aye on this.

I'm sorry I've been a bit busy IRL.

I'll just say the government can, must, and do tell private entities and people what they should do and how they should do it all the time. It's no big deal. I would have been comfortable with the unamended version of this.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3461 on: December 15, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »

By a vote of 3-1-1, the Blue Law Cessation and Alcohol Standardization Act passes the Imperial Legislature and awaits the Emperor's decision.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3462 on: December 15, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »

Based on the previously agreed-upon queue, the next order of business pertains to the Tips and Commission Independence Act.

Let debate commence.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3463 on: December 15, 2012, 09:28:40 PM »

I don't know why, but talking about business administration rights makes me transform into Super Libertarian. I'm glad that we were able to reach an agreement there.

On the Blue Law Cessation and Alcohol Standardization Act: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3464 on: December 15, 2012, 11:58:50 PM »

Since I don't believe in a minimum wage, I don't see why tips should be included in one. Support.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3465 on: December 16, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »

I am wholly in favor of that bill. We could well be developing on several other kinds of income that should not be counted in the minimum wage count, but this bill is for tips and commissions and should stay like this.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3466 on: December 16, 2012, 07:42:18 PM »

Of course. The beauty of tipped positions is the fun of hiding that income from the IRS. Wink
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3467 on: December 17, 2012, 06:58:02 AM »

Does the Co-Speaker have any opinions on this legislation?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3468 on: December 18, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »

Slow week here in the ole legislature.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3469 on: December 18, 2012, 12:27:08 PM »

After elections in a few days, we should recess for the new year.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3470 on: December 18, 2012, 02:57:16 PM »

This won't help. Hiring workers isn't any different from buying any other product, and if pizza costs more, you will buy less pizza. If workers cost more to put on the payroll, fewer workers will be hired, and the people who'd get fired (if it raises prices that drastically) aren't the CEOs, it's the poorly-educated or inexperienced or young people this law purportedly helps. You're pricing the people at the bottom out of the market. It does no good to have a higher wage if in the process the people end up with no jobs with which to be earning that wage.

And quite simply, if this is such a great idea, why not raise it to $20 an hour? $50? $200? $1000000? Employers do not have the arbitrary power to set wages. Employers can't simply smile and comply, because wages are not a function of employer whims. You are in competition with other employers for the right to purchase the labor of qualified persons. Quite simply, the markets are affected by supply and demand, the supply of workers and the demand for what they ultimately do supply. Raising the minimum wage must logically reduce the level of that employment: there has been no increase in demand or reduction in supply, there has just been a requirement to pay more than the market value for labor. That means that employers aren't making money off of the transaction, as the government doesn't set prices for what the employer sells, the market does.. If the employer has to raise prices to offset the minimum wage cost, sales volume and profitability decline. Industries that hire the most number of unskilled workers become less profitable, so their size and employment levels are reduced.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3471 on: December 18, 2012, 04:15:22 PM »

I would point out that some time ago, the federal government jacked the minimum wage up to $12/hour. With that, businesses are really suffering around here. However, a more recent bill allows us to reduce miimum wage as low as $10.50/hour again....
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3472 on: December 18, 2012, 06:03:40 PM »

I agree with Sjoyce, but I don't see how this bill raises the minimum wage. If we are going to have a minimum wage then it should apply to all the workers, not just some. If we have an exemption for a certain class of workers, ie, servers, then aren't we effectively saying that there should be no minimum wage whatesoever? Why should we exempt tips, and not, say a certain percentage of the wage of everyone?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3473 on: December 18, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »

I agree with Sjoyce, but I don't see how this bill raises the minimum wage. If we are going to have a minimum wage then it should apply to all the workers, not just some. If we have an exemption for a certain class of workers, ie, servers, then aren't we effectively saying that there should be no minimum wage whatesoever? Why should we exempt tips, and not, say a certain percentage of the wage of everyone?

More or less I agree with the Legislator here. This bill is attempting to close a loophole that has existed in the region due to no clarification on our part. Under current law, employees who earn tips or commission can be effectively stiffed by their employers if their tips and commission are higher than their required minimum wage.

I think the argument for eliminating "variable" minimum wages that usually impact waiters and the like can and should be looked at too, but we're running short on time left in this legislative session.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3474 on: December 19, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »

I move this be brought forth for a vote.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies