The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:15:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 295395 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 04, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »

I think the idea of creating an office of Southeastern Attorney General is pretty novel. Given the frequency with which our region is sued, having someone designated to argue cases on our behalf would be quite helpful. The only issue I can see is that it might be difficult to find someone willing to do the job given the region's low population.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #326 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »

I think the idea of creating an office of Southeastern Attorney General is pretty novel. Given the frequency with which our region is sued, having someone designated to argue cases on our behalf would be quite helpful. The only issue I can see is that it might be difficult to find someone willing to do the job given the region's low population.
I share these concerns. Perhaps we could have an existing office be in charge of what we would give to the AG instead, though that might be a bit overwhelming.

However, the rest of the bill is quite good.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #327 on: June 04, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »

I share these concerns. Perhaps we could have an existing office be in charge of what we would give to the AG instead, though that might be a bit overwhelming.

The appeal of having a separate office for it is that whoever takes on the job is fully interested in taking care of its duties. If we were to, say, place that responsibility on the Governor, we could lose out on capable persons who would like to be Governor but not want to have to represent the region whenever it is prosecuted.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #328 on: June 04, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »

The Bill is approved 2-0.

The bill will wait until the governor arrives back.

X Jbrase
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #329 on: June 05, 2010, 12:40:17 AM »

The appeal of having a separate office for it is that whoever takes on the job is fully interested in taking care of its duties. If we were to, say, place that responsibility on the Governor, we could lose out on capable persons who would like to be Governor but not want to have to represent the region whenever it is prosecuted.
That's true, but I think getting somebody to be AG would be tough. I just don't see there being any sort of contesting of an election for that, and it might be tough to find somebody at all.

Though I guess if we got sued a bit less it might be a bit easier to find someone Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #330 on: June 05, 2010, 09:02:42 AM »

That's true, but I think getting somebody to be AG would be tough. I just don't see there being any sort of contesting of an election for that, and it might be tough to find somebody at all.

Though I guess if we got sued a bit less it might be a bit easier to find someone Tongue

It's a shame that most of Atlasia's legalistic types have fallen into inactivity. I can think of some folks who would probably love to be SE AG, were they more active.

But then we would not have any use for such a position. Quite the paradox, isn't it? Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #331 on: June 05, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »

I apologize for the delay in taking the oath after the special election.  Had time to check up on part of the Forum, but not all of it.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #332 on: June 06, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »

If you guys are ready we can start voting
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #333 on: June 07, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »

The Vote is open for 24 hours
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #334 on: June 07, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »

Aye.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #335 on: June 07, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »

Aye
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #336 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »

Where's the text of the bill we're voting on?  I haven't been able to locate it.  Until I do see it, I'll have to vote Nay, reserving the right to change.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #337 on: June 07, 2010, 10:45:13 PM »

Where's the text of the bill we're voting on?  I haven't been able to locate it.  Until I do see it, I'll have to vote Nay, reserving the right to change.
We have a separate thread for the introduction of bills:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=112611.15
This one is Laws 'N Stuff.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #338 on: June 07, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »

Perhaps from now on, when a new bill is brought up for debate, it should be quoted for everyone to see like in the Senate, (and I belive the other two legislatures.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #339 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »

Perhaps from now on, when a new bill is brought up for debate, it should be quoted for everyone to see like in the Senate, (and I believe the other two legislatures).

Or even a link in the first post of this thread to the other thread would have sufficed.

On balance, the bill is good.  Aye.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »

The Bill is approved 3-0 and is ready for The Governor
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #341 on: June 08, 2010, 10:58:49 PM »

Law'n Stuff reform bill:

X JBrase
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #342 on: June 10, 2010, 04:37:53 PM »

The Preventing of Sexual Offenses Act is now up for debate for 24 hours.

The legislation is here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=112611.msg2528408;boardseen#new
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #343 on: June 10, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »

I just noticed that 1.5 is missing a fairly critical word in there. I imagine that word is supposed to be "failure"? While we're at it, it might be a good opportunity to specify the amount of the fine & the privileges that are lost.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #344 on: June 10, 2010, 04:42:34 PM »

I will follow this one closely. I am strongly in favor of strengthing laws against Sex offenders.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #345 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:05 PM »

So wait, we have an elected Attorney General now? Shouldn't that just have been delegated to the governor? I miss initiatives Sad
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #346 on: June 10, 2010, 04:45:20 PM »

I just noticed that 1.5 is missing a fairly critical word in there. I imagine that word is supposed to be "failure"? While we're at it, it might be a good opportunity to specify the amount of the fine & the privileges that are lost.

Yes, sorry about that. The fine should be 100,000. And the privileges are new cars and gear and all that.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #347 on: June 10, 2010, 04:48:51 PM »

So wait, we have an elected Attorney General now? Shouldn't that just have been delegated to the governor? I miss initiatives Sad

The issue with making the Governor do it was that it would probably scare off many potential candidates for Governor in the future. I for one know that I would never want to be in an office that would obligate me to argue cases.

Anyway, we still have an apparatus of the initiative system in place. If that is your only issue with the recently passed bill, feel free to propose an initiative to repeal the section establishing the new office.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #348 on: June 10, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »

Nah, not that big of a deal, I just miss initiatives. In fact, I think I might propose a few myself just for old time's sakes.

Oh, and btw, on the sexual crimes law, that list of definitions should probably match the wording of the Georgia Code 16-6 offenses, for what it's worth. We do use the Georgia code where our own law doesn't supersede it.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #349 on: June 10, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »

Nah, not that big of a deal, I just miss initiatives. In fact, I think I might propose a few myself just for old time's sakes.

Oh, and btw, on the sexual crimes law, that list of definitions should probably match the wording of the Georgia Code 16-6 offenses, for what it's worth. We do use the Georgia code where our own law doesn't supersede it.

We should use it, but i don't agree with the child molestation laws. Child Molestors should have the 15, then life in prsison treatment.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies