The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:03:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 296455 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: June 10, 2010, 05:04:50 PM »

Looking at it some more, 1.5 & 1.6 seem redundant. I think we could just refer to the punishment in 1.3. Additionally, funding of police agencies is a local affair & should only be punished by the fine. However, if we have a regional police agency then I think that it would make sense to punish them by depriving them of their funding.

Furthermore, 1.4 should specify how much jail time. I'd suggest 6 months to a year for negligent failure to report & 4 years to 10 years for intentional failure to report. I would like to hear from my colleagues as well as the Lt. Governor on all of these issues, at any rate.

Nah, not that big of a deal, I just miss initiatives. In fact, I think I might propose a few myself just for old time's sakes.

Oh, and btw, on the sexual crimes law, that list of definitions should probably match the wording of the Georgia Code 16-6 offenses, for what it's worth. We do use the Georgia code where our own law doesn't supersede it.

It might be interesting to hold informal referenda on the Legislature's actions to see what the general public (both Southeastern & non-Southeastern) thinks of our actions. Abysmal turnout would probably lead to it showing that the in-region voters always agree with us, though. Tongue

I'll look it up & propose an amendment based on it. I should get around to it later today.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #351 on: June 10, 2010, 05:08:32 PM »

Looking at it some more, 1.5 & 1.6 seem redundant. I think we could just refer to the punishment in 1.3. Additionally, funding of police agencies is a local affair & should only be punished by the fine. However, if we have a regional police agency then I think that it would make sense to punish them by depriving them of their funding.

Furthermore, 1.4 should specify how much jail time. I'd suggest 6 months to a year for negligent failure to report & 4 years to 10 years for intentional failure to report. I would like to hear from my colleagues as well as the Lt. Governor on all of these issues, at any rate.

Nah, not that big of a deal, I just miss initiatives. In fact, I think I might propose a few myself just for old time's sakes.

Oh, and btw, on the sexual crimes law, that list of definitions should probably match the wording of the Georgia Code 16-6 offenses, for what it's worth. We do use the Georgia code where our own law doesn't supersede it.

It might be interesting to hold informal referenda on the Legislature's actions to see what the general public (both Southeastern & non-Southeastern) thinks of our actions. Abysmal turnout would probably lead to it showing that the in-region voters always agree with us, though. Tongue

I'll look it up & propose an amendment based on it. I should get around to it later today.

The Jail Time sounds good
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #352 on: June 10, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »

Also, I'm editing the wiki to replace the mention in Article IV.2 of "Article II" with "Article IV", to match the Southeastern House of Representatives Amendment requirement of renumbering articles of the Constitution. Good thing that was included at the end, otherwise we'd never be able to amend the Constitution again Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #353 on: June 10, 2010, 05:11:07 PM »

We should use it, but i don't agree with the child molestation laws. Child Molestors should have the 15, then life in prsison treatment.

Exactly. If you want to make sure that changes, then you need to use the exact terminology the existing code already uses, otherwise you're making up penalties for non-existent laws.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #354 on: June 10, 2010, 05:13:05 PM »

I'm willing to bet most Southeasterners don't check this thread at all. See the latest election results, two candidates running? Tongue
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #355 on: June 10, 2010, 05:21:03 PM »

We should use it, but i don't agree with the child molestation laws. Child Molestors should have the 15, then life in prsison treatment.

Exactly. If you want to make sure that changes, then you need to use the exact terminology the existing code already uses, otherwise you're making up penalties for non-existent laws.

Okay, i will use that then.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #356 on: June 10, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »

I'm willing to bet most Southeasterners don't check this thread at all. See the latest election results, two candidates running? Tongue

Which happens to be the problem with such a proposition. We'd probably get the Legislators, the Lt. Governor, the Governor, the Senator, & maybe somebody else to vote. If anything, it would be interesting to see what national perception is of the Legislature's actions.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #357 on: June 10, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »

I've taken a look at Title 16 Chapter 6 of the Georgia Code, and frankly, before we pass a sexual offenses database law, we need to rewrite this chapter.  It's horribly out of date and contains some provisions that don't pass constitutional muster.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #358 on: June 10, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »

We already have a sexual offender database law.  See Title 42 Chapter 1 Article 2 of the Georgia Code (Sections 42-1-12 thru 42-1-15).  I don't see anything this law does with respect to a database that the current law doesn't address in far more detail except add a one dollar surcharge to driver's licenses to fund it.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #359 on: June 11, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »

We already have a sexual offender database law.  See Title 42 Chapter 1 Article 2 of the Georgia Code (Sections 42-1-12 thru 42-1-15).  I don't see anything this law does with respect to a database that the current law doesn't address in far more detail except add a one dollar surcharge to driver's licenses to fund it.

No we don't. There is one in real life, but that is the inspiration for this law
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #360 on: June 11, 2010, 11:59:58 AM »

No we don't. There is one in real life, but that is the inspiration for this law

But don't we use the Georgia Code as our default law in the absence of any Southeast specific law?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #361 on: June 11, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »

But don't we use the Georgia Code as our default law in the absence of any Southeast specific law?

Yes, but this is what is going to replace it
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #362 on: June 11, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »

Frankly, I prefer the existing law, if for no other reason than rather than funding the database with $1 surcharge on my driver's license, it is funded by a $250 annual registration fee paid by each offender.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #363 on: June 11, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »

When was the existing law passed?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #364 on: June 11, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »

The existing Georgia law was originally passed in 1996, focusing only on those who committed sexual offenses against children, and then substantially modified in 2006 to include those who committed sexual offenses against adults as well.  As I recall, we use the Georgia Code 2006 as our baseline, tho I could only find the Georgia Code 2009 online.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #365 on: June 11, 2010, 03:28:17 PM »

The existing Georgia law was originally passed in 1996, focusing only on those who committed sexual offenses against children, and then substantially modified in 2006 to include those who committed sexual offenses against adults as well.  As I recall, we use the Georgia Code 2006 as our baseline, tho I could only find the Georgia Code 2009 online.

Alright, I am content with the existing law & would like to withdraw the bill. Unfortunately, we don't have any bills in the pipeline currently. Sad
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #366 on: June 13, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »

With the election scheduled for June 18th, would you guys like to be on recess until next Monday?

The recess vote is open for 24 hours.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #367 on: June 13, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »

Our seats are not up for a vote in this election, but we don't have any legislation to discuss currently. I'm not sure it really matters whether we recess or not.

Abstain.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #368 on: June 13, 2010, 03:41:08 PM »

Our seats are not up for a vote in this election, but we don't have any legislation to discuss currently. I'm not sure it really matters whether we recess or not.

Abstain.

Well, The Governor and Lt. Governor are up for election. So i want to focus on re-election
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #369 on: June 13, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »

Abstain.

Well, The Governor and Lt. Governor are up for election. So i want to focus on re-election

Ah, well that's fine. If a bill comes up, we could still organize some form of informal discussion of it.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #370 on: June 13, 2010, 05:11:52 PM »

Abstain.

Ah, well that's fine. If a bill comes up, we could still organize some form of informal discussion of it.

We can do that
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #371 on: June 21, 2010, 06:57:56 PM »

I'm finding that I don't have the time I would like to devote to Fantasy Politics in general, let alone the position of Southeast Legislator. Since the Southeast deserve an active Legislature, I do hereby resign as Southeast Legislator, effective as of 1:61:56 CST 4 Messidor CCXVIII (i.e., sometime tomorrow in the French Republican Calendar).

True Federalist
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #372 on: June 21, 2010, 07:11:46 PM »

It seems like we have a solid core of me & Deldem, but finding a third person to complete the Legislature is proving rather difficult. I suppose it is just as well that the order of the Legislature does not become too entrenched.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #373 on: June 21, 2010, 07:14:13 PM »

*raises hand*
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #374 on: June 21, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »

It seems like we have a solid core of me & Deldem, but finding a third person to complete the Legislature is proving rather difficult. I suppose it is just as well that the order of the Legislature does not become too entrenched.

Well that didn't last long. Maybe you should auction the third seat on Ebay. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies