The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:43:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 ... 170
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 296504 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2800 on: July 05, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »

Aye
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2801 on: July 05, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »

Aye
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2802 on: July 05, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »

British Dixie has been banned so we have a vacant seat in the legislature. PiT, you know the drill Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2803 on: July 05, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »

British Dixie has been banned so we have a vacant seat in the legislature. PiT, you know the drill Tongue

Yup, I've already sent out a PM. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2804 on: July 05, 2012, 11:55:58 PM »

Nay
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2805 on: July 06, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »

The bill passes 3-1 and awaits the signature or veto of Emperor PiT

CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2806 on: July 06, 2012, 12:10:29 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2012, 03:42:28 PM by Speaker Jbrase »

I am now bringing this up as one large omnibus bill.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

Sponsor: Jbrase
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2807 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:46 AM »

The dibble isn't dead yet! Everyone, please look at my speech in my office thread. Smiley

On the Imperial Advertisement and Activity Augmentation Act: by the powers vested in me as Emperor of this region, I thus sign it into law.

Be it resolved, X Emperor PiT
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2808 on: July 06, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »

Well if no one has anything to add, we can bring it to a vote later.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2809 on: July 06, 2012, 04:22:16 PM »

"Carpe Diem" is kind of a feel-good motto. I'd prefer something a tad more aggressive.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2810 on: July 06, 2012, 05:11:27 PM »

I'd rather that flag be the Emperor's Standard. Don't want citizens to buy a new flag every time we get a new one.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2811 on: July 06, 2012, 08:09:30 PM »

I'd rather that flag be the Emperor's Standard. Don't want citizens to buy a new flag every time we get a new one.
they won't have to necessarily. Emperors can be in the same Imperial House. which is why the flag has the IHoJ coat of arms even though PiT is Emperor.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2812 on: July 06, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »

If someone would like to be in charge of editing the flag as we make suggestions that would be nice Smiley

@PiT how about "Capere aquilonem" instead of Seize the day, it becomes "seize the north!"
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2813 on: July 06, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

they won't have to necessarily. Emperors can be in the same Imperial House. which is why the flag has the IHoJ coat of arms even though PiT is Emperor.

I guess that makes sense, since only you and PiT have been Emperors during the time of the Empire.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2814 on: July 06, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »

If someone would like to be in charge of editing the flag as we make suggestions that would be nice Smiley

@PiT how about "Capere aquilonem" instead of Seize the day, it becomes "seize the north!"

Exinanite de damnareyankees?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2815 on: July 06, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »

That would be pretty cool, for the northerner freak-out factor.

Anyway, I like SJoyceFla's idea of making this the Imperial Standard. For reference, the average Governor/Emperor of the region has served about four months in office, with the average being greatly inflated by guys like me & Duke. Even if we had an average of three guys in a house, that'd be an average of one new flag per year. Seems a bit frequent to be changing flags.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2816 on: July 06, 2012, 10:54:14 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I love simplicity and consistency. Why do we need to change the flag all the time? And why do we need some sissy motto? If we are going to be imperialists, we need to embrace it like I said before. I think our governor should be our king and states should be governorships or something of that nature. Kingdom means that states are independent entities. Instead, we need to be a united kingdom of the south. We can't be having mississippi trying to leave us etc..

And we need a good imperial flag. A simple one that gets the point across. The current era of IDS is too into tacky, loud symbols. We need art. We need something tasteful. When South Carolina left the union in 1861, we had a flag with a crescent moon with the words "liberty." All these current shields and the like harken back to a day and age of the kings and knights in England.

What does the IDS want to be? Ruthless imperialists or freedom lovers? I don't care but I feel like our focus is all over the place. We need to decide what he want and move forward with that goal in mind as a united force. One day we talk about voters rights and the next we pass a law about forcing public officials to change their name and have a mandatory signature. Seems odd and inconsistent.

I say we first vote on a bill that asks two things: do we want to be imperialists or essentially classic liberals. Whichever wins is what we move forward with. Right now it feels like we are blindly throwing darts at a board. We need an identity!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2817 on: July 06, 2012, 11:27:59 PM »

Most talk of imperialism is regional flavor with a touch of "don't tread on me". When I voted for the ticket of Southern Secession and Imperial Irredentism for President, I didn't seriously expect much to come out of that. In hard terms, I think it's important that we pursue classical liberal policy, but the Legislature is pretty moderate these days. I don't know how much success lies down that path, though.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2818 on: July 07, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »

Duke, to address part of that you said about the kingdoms part, I put it like that becuase of the very thing you complain about. Why do something half ass? We made the region an Empire, and the governor and elected Emperor, so why should the states remain just states? If we are to take it further then the logical thing to do would be to have the the states become kingdoms, all under one glorious southern Imperial Dominion.

As for the flag, I see your point and am open to suggestions for an alternative if you would like to put any forward.

Also I reject the notion you put forward that we cannot be Imperial and freedom lovers. We are the IDS becuase we love our freedom. Any region could have a governor, or just chose to accept the norm or taking a direction for a name, but we fight back by not falling into conformity. The day we just accept that we are the same as the other regions and start acting like them, like how they expect us to, is the day we truly lose our freedom.

I cannot see how you are complaining about inconsistency when this bill is just making the region more consistent with the changes made earlier. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2819 on: July 07, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »

Just so y'all know, I'll be away for a few weeks at the finest university in the IDS (Duke), so Internet access may be sporadic (ie: on my phone during the hour and a half of free time given a day). I would say PM me if there's anything major, but I'm as likely to check here as I am my PM box, so I'll try to stick around, but if there's any reduction in activity, that's why.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2820 on: July 10, 2012, 02:14:36 PM »

Ahem.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2821 on: July 10, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »

Well I was hoping there would be more debate, but it looks like there won't. sigh....

Up for final vote
-------------------------------

Aye
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2822 on: July 10, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

Sorry I haven't really been around.

Aye.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2823 on: July 10, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »

Duke, to address part of that you said about the kingdoms part, I put it like that becuase of the very thing you complain about. Why do something half ass? We made the region an Empire, and the governor and elected Emperor, so why should the states remain just states? If we are to take it further then the logical thing to do would be to have the the states become kingdoms, all under one glorious southern Imperial Dominion.

As for the flag, I see your point and am open to suggestions for an alternative if you would like to put any forward.

Also I reject the notion you put forward that we cannot be Imperial and freedom lovers. We are the IDS becuase we love our freedom. Any region could have a governor, or just chose to accept the norm or taking a direction for a name, but we fight back by not falling into conformity. The day we just accept that we are the same as the other regions and start acting like them, like how they expect us to, is the day we truly lose our freedom.

I cannot see how you are complaining about inconsistency when this bill is just making the region more consistent with the changes made earlier. 

The word Kingdom has never been one that has brought forth thoughts of intellectual, religious and political freedoms. I suppose you're trying to mold the IDS into something like ancient Greece, where there were city states that comprised most of Greece. They were independent entities but would band together when someone attacked them. Is that what you're going for? I've always believed a country or region needed a strong central power in order to flourish, so I suppose we just have different beliefs on that. But it's difficult to have an empire when you want a loose confederation that this bill seems to encourage.

I think we should have more debate on this since we seem to be making some big changes if this passes.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #2824 on: July 11, 2012, 02:40:45 AM »

While I did provide some preliminary consultation on flag proportions, I personally do not find the styling of the flag aesthetically-pleasing. This primarily originates with the existing design that I think if changed, should be overhauled.

In regards to the renaming of states, I don't find it reasonable to rename them 'Kingdoms' due to many of the reasons Duke mentioned; there's a clear contrast between the renaming and the perceived goals of the legislation.

Finally, I find some of the police provisions to be non-meritocratic. If Texas gets special treatment, then so does Georgia.

I just don't see anything here that I can support.

Nay.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 [113] 114 115 116 117 118 ... 170  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies