The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:54:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Imperial Dominion of the South's Legislature  (Read 298426 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 05, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »

I apologize for the delay in taking the oath after the special election.  Had time to check up on part of the Forum, but not all of it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:50 PM »

Where's the text of the bill we're voting on?  I haven't been able to locate it.  Until I do see it, I'll have to vote Nay, reserving the right to change.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »

Perhaps from now on, when a new bill is brought up for debate, it should be quoted for everyone to see like in the Senate, (and I believe the other two legislatures).

Or even a link in the first post of this thread to the other thread would have sufficed.

On balance, the bill is good.  Aye.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »

I've taken a look at Title 16 Chapter 6 of the Georgia Code, and frankly, before we pass a sexual offenses database law, we need to rewrite this chapter.  It's horribly out of date and contains some provisions that don't pass constitutional muster.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:44:57 PM »

We already have a sexual offender database law.  See Title 42 Chapter 1 Article 2 of the Georgia Code (Sections 42-1-12 thru 42-1-15).  I don't see anything this law does with respect to a database that the current law doesn't address in far more detail except add a one dollar surcharge to driver's licenses to fund it.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 11:59:58 AM »

We already have a sexual offender database law.  See Title 42 Chapter 1 Article 2 of the Georgia Code (Sections 42-1-12 thru 42-1-15).  I don't see anything this law does with respect to a database that the current law doesn't address in far more detail except add a one dollar surcharge to driver's licenses to fund it.

No we don't. There is one in real life, but that is the inspiration for this law

But don't we use the Georgia Code as our default law in the absence of any Southeast specific law?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »

Frankly, I prefer the existing law, if for no other reason than rather than funding the database with $1 surcharge on my driver's license, it is funded by a $250 annual registration fee paid by each offender.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »

When was the existing law passed?

The existing Georgia law was originally passed in 1996, focusing only on those who committed sexual offenses against children, and then substantially modified in 2006 to include those who committed sexual offenses against adults as well.  As I recall, we use the Georgia Code 2006 as our baseline, tho I could only find the Georgia Code 2009 online.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 06:57:56 PM »

I'm finding that I don't have the time I would like to devote to Fantasy Politics in general, let alone the position of Southeast Legislator. Since the Southeast deserve an active Legislature, I do hereby resign as Southeast Legislator, effective as of 1:61:56 CST 4 Messidor CCXVIII (i.e., sometime tomorrow in the French Republican Calendar).

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »

Why the Omnibus Symbol Bill?  Most of it just a recodification of the existing laws on Southeastern Symbols.  The concrete changes are the repeal of a seal which we have no picture of and very incomplete description, and the addition of Dixie, deer, and milk as region symbols which was proposed in the failed Southeastern Symbols II Initiative, save that the Southeastern Symbols II Initiative included Coca-Cola as a symbol as well.

Clearly we need a new seal to replace the one that is gone, so repealing the Southeast Symbols III Initiative makes sense, tho I would prefer if a replacement were at least proposed, but trying to incorporate provisions of a initiative that was rejected six years ago under the guise of an "omnibus" bill strikes me as trying to circumvent the expressed will of the people in secrecy.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »

Why the Omnibus Symbol Bill?  Most of it just a recodification of the existing laws on Southeastern Symbols.  The concrete changes are the repeal of a seal which we have no picture of and very incomplete description, and the addition of Dixie, deer, and milk as region symbols which was proposed in the failed Southeastern Symbols II Initiative, save that the Southeastern Symbols II Initiative included Coca-Cola as a symbol as well.

Clearly we need a new seal to replace the one that is gone, so repealing the Southeast Symbols III Initiative makes sense, tho I would prefer if a replacement were at least proposed, but trying to incorporate provisions of a initiative that was rejected six years ago under the guise of an "omnibus" bill strikes me as trying to circumvent the expressed will of the people in secrecy.

Which people?

The Southeast citizens who six years ago rejected the Southeastern Symbols II Initiative when it was brought to a vote.  While the will of the peons who inhabit what is now the Imperial Dominion of the South may be different, I would prefer that such action be submitted to them for their approval rather than having it creep through the Legislature as if it were something to hide.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »

The people elected the legislature, did they not?
But did anyone in the legislature campaign on this issue?  I wouldn't mind seeing the South return to the days when we had monthly elections with several referenda on each ballot.

Just because you are not in the legislature, doesn't give you the right to tell us what to do

Au contraire.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I have every right to tell you what to do.  I just have have no power to make you do it. Tongue

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »

I wouldn't mind seeing the South return to the days when we had monthly elections with several referenda on each ballot.

Then propose a referendum Wink

Technically, I'm not able to, since our Registrar General is misinterpreting the 180 day rule in a manner that means I'd have to file a lawsuit to be where I actually am.  I'm not so lawsuit happy that I feel like filing one on this issue.  (If I were lawsuit happy, I had an opportunity to file a different one not long ago.)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 02:43:47 AM »

Obviously, I wouldn't want to see someone with a PhD teaching kindergarden.

Why not?  Being a kindergarten teacher is hard work and ideally we should be encouraging our best and brightest teachers to be teaching our younger students who can benefit the most from them.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »

I know our kids need the best, but I think someone with a doctorate would be better served teaching older kids Tongue

Depends on what the doctorate is in, and how it is used.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies