White Girl Bill (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:48:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  White Girl Bill (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: White Girl Bill (Failed)  (Read 4257 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2010, 02:43:42 PM »
« edited: March 25, 2010, 04:37:15 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee (RPP-NC) »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Winston Disraeli
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »

The War on Drugs was a major policy error in this nation's history. However, it is now nearly over and this bill would legalise all remaining drugs except heroin and PCP. There is nothing to be accomplished by imprisoning addicts, so I urge the Senate to pass this bill and focus instead on drug rehabilitation rather than punishment.

The tax level is one I thought would be adequate, but feel free to make your own suggestions. Any amendment that gains support for tax, I would be willing to regard as friendly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 03:06:50 PM »

I oppose this measure
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 03:10:25 PM »

Why?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 03:23:09 PM »

1. I oppose the legalization of all drugs and want to make the ones we have legalized illegal again. Barring that.

2. I prefer we at least not legalize such hardcore drugs as Cocaine, meth, and Ketamine.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »

1. I oppose the legalization of all drugs and want to make the ones we have legalized illegal again. Barring that.

2. I prefer we at least not legalize such hardcore drugs as Cocaine, meth, and Ketamine.

But why? What do you aim to achieve? If we keep drugs illegal, we allow impure drugs to kill people, we punish people rather than rehabilitate them and we are forced to pay for rehab for drug addicts that do go out of income tax, when it could come out of a tax on the drugs themselves.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 03:32:07 PM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »

But why? What do you aim to achieve? If we keep drugs illegal, we allow impure drugs to kill people, we punish people rather than rehabilitate them and we are forced to pay for rehab for drug addicts that do go out of income tax, when it could come out of a tax on the drugs themselves.

The drug itself is deadly. This legalizes Cocaine and by extention Crack. There is no way to sell these or regulate then in a way that would guarrantee that you could take them without dropping dead. Any such thing that can't, should be illegal, as a threat to public safety.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:34:05 PM »

Get out of here. If you can't add substance to the debate, then you have no business spaming it with nonesense.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 03:36:06 PM »

The drug itself is deadly. This legalizes Cocaine and by extention Crack. There is no way to sell these or regulate then in a way that would guarrantee that you could take them without dropping dead. Any such thing that can't, should be illegal, as a threat to public safety.

Even so, do you really think it's the states business to control what people put in their bodies? If people want to die, they have a right to. And what's more, if purified, they're less dangerous and there is better chance of rehabilitation as a result.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 03:41:54 PM »

Even so, do you really think it's the states business to control what people put in their bodies? If people want to die, they have a right to. And what's more, if purified, they're less dangerous and there is better chance of rehabilitation as a result.

Its the state's business to protect people from danger. If something is potentiall dangerous or could cause harm if used improperly it should have a warning in big bright colors, if its something where everyone reacts differently and it would be impossible to label a safe dosage or serving then it should not be allowed on the market.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 03:52:43 PM »

It should be people's choices what to do with their bodies, not the states. It makes little sense to waste police time going after people who do drugs.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »

Keep in mind that alcohol is completely legal, and that is a substance with which one can easily suffer a lethal overdose or form dependencies. Should alcohol be criminalized because of this? Of course not! We know from Prohibition how much of a failure such a policy is. Current Atlasian/American policy on alcohol is perfect: legal, taxed, regulated, with a wide net to handle instances of substance abuse. It makes sense to apply the same standard to other narcotics of similar "danger" level.

Making these substances legal decreases health risks because the FDA would require they have quality standards, safety guidelines, and marketing restrictions. The bill would also make Atlasia as a whole safer because it shuts off the main revenue stream of organized crime.

Hold on a sec, I'd like to amend the bill a little to clarify some things.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Offered as friendly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 05:06:14 PM »

Does the sponsor accept it, or does the Senator request a vote.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 05:07:27 PM »

I accept this amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 05:37:01 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to request a vote.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »

I can't get behind legalizing dangerous, addictive drugs like meth, cocaine and all their counterparts. Alcohol may be just as dangerous with the right amounts, but you can have a beer here and there and not become dependent on it, but with other drugs such as those listed, one hit and you can't live without it. I would know. I had a friend who tried coke once and became an addict before going through rehab. I can't support this under any circumstances.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »

I can't get behind legalizing dangerous, addictive drugs like meth, cocaine and all their counterparts. Alcohol may be just as dangerous with the right amounts, but you can have a beer here and there and not become dependent on it, but with other drugs such as those listed, one hit and you can't live without it. I would know. I had a friend who tried coke once and became an addict before going through rehab. I can't support this under any circumstances.

Would you support the bill if it were to be amended to remove the "harder" substances?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 05:54:55 PM »

But would you rather he had gone to prison instead of rehab? There is a desperate need for therapy rather than punishment. What's more, part of these drugs appeal is their illegality. After legalisation, drug usage rates in Portugal dropped.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »

Just a thought to keep things consistently Atlasian, maybe replace the FDA to the DoIA.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 09:44:40 AM »

I oppose this bill. I'm against the legalisation of drugs.

I want to help the drug addicts. That means they should be provided by the state with the respective drugs. That would reduce crime and give them a human perspective.

The comparison with alcohol is not correct. Alcohol isn't very good, but it's a part of our culture since thousands of years, drugs don't.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:50 AM »

I want to help the drug addicts. That means they should be provided by the state with the respective drugs. That would reduce crime and give them a human perspective.

The comparison with alcohol is not correct. Alcohol isn't very good, but it's a part of our culture since thousands of years, drugs don't.

Alcohol is far more dangerous to society than these drugs are - alcohol encourages violence against other people. Cocaine does not.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »

Alcohol is far more dangerous to society than these drugs are - alcohol encourages violence against other people. Cocaine does not.

Cocaine doesn't encrouage violence against other people??? lol
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 12:27:07 PM »

Not correct. Both drugs do, actually.

That said, I'm not saying how I'll vote on this, but I would note to stated opponents like NCY and Hans that Winston pointing out alcohol is legal and regulated and legal despite being highly destructive may be very compelling to some. I think it behooves you to argue specifically how and why harder drugs like these are supposedly so much more addictive and destructive than alcohol that they must be outlawed while alcohol is available at the corner gas station. And IMHO the mere fact alcohol has a much older pedigree of being socially acceptable means little in terms of defining a drug's actual addictive and destructive properties.

IIRC, last time I checked many years ago that when the numbers of hard drug users and overdose deaths were compared to alcohol, even the most conservative estimates showed alcohol to be much more deadly (even without DUI fatalities).
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies