White Girl Bill (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:18:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  White Girl Bill (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White Girl Bill (Failed)  (Read 4261 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: March 06, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »

Keep in mind that alcohol is completely legal, and that is a substance with which one can easily suffer a lethal overdose or form dependencies. Should alcohol be criminalized because of this? Of course not! We know from Prohibition how much of a failure such a policy is. Current Atlasian/American policy on alcohol is perfect: legal, taxed, regulated, with a wide net to handle instances of substance abuse. It makes sense to apply the same standard to other narcotics of similar "danger" level.

Making these substances legal decreases health risks because the FDA would require they have quality standards, safety guidelines, and marketing restrictions. The bill would also make Atlasia as a whole safer because it shuts off the main revenue stream of organized crime.

Hold on a sec, I'd like to amend the bill a little to clarify some things.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Offered as friendly.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 05:52:28 PM »

I can't get behind legalizing dangerous, addictive drugs like meth, cocaine and all their counterparts. Alcohol may be just as dangerous with the right amounts, but you can have a beer here and there and not become dependent on it, but with other drugs such as those listed, one hit and you can't live without it. I would know. I had a friend who tried coke once and became an addict before going through rehab. I can't support this under any circumstances.

Would you support the bill if it were to be amended to remove the "harder" substances?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »

I oppose this.

The level of harm done must be taken into consideration.  Marijuana is perhaps the most benign of intoxicating substances, both in terms of its addictive qualities and the damage done to the user.  One cannot die from a pot overdose.  I am happy that this drug is legal in Atlasia.  Alcohol is more dangerous, it can be physically addictive, and it is possible (though rare) to die from overdose.  Cocaine and methamphetamine are both highly addictive substances which can rather easily be overdosed.  Badger mentioned that alcohol causes more harm- I believe that is because its use is more widespread due to its legality, and not because it is more harmful.  If we take the irresponsible step of legalising these dangerous substances, those statistics will surely change.

Actually, Fritz, the statistics I looked at (again, a long time ago) indicated that on a per capita/user rate--not merely overall numbers--the rate of lethal overdoses for alcohol were significantly higher than those for cocaine and heroin. Surprising I admit, but nonetheless.....

Interesting fact.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but I'd just like to point out that this is even in spite of the fact that alcohol has proper dosing and labeling while illegal substances don't. Presumably if cocaine and heroin were subjected to proper FDA/SOIA regulation, alcohol would be even less safer in comparison.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »

Does anyone have an amendment to offer before this bill is put up to a final vote?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 01:56:11 PM »

This bill is now at a final vote. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 03:03:08 PM »

Final bill:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »

Very hesitant aye.

Keep in mind the bill doesn't force any pharmacy to carry these substances, and pharmacies that do would still be allowed to turn an abuser away (just like they're allowed IRL to turn a customer down who's buying out half their stock of Robitussin or something). These preventative measures seem like they would mitigate the bad aspects of legalization enough to make the good things worth it: cutting away organized crime's primary profit stream, allowing the substances to be regulated and labelled to prevent accidental deaths, and ending the attitude that victimless crime should be so brutally punished. In addition, the billions of dollars in new tax revenue is a nice benefit as well.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »

Senators in favor: Bacon King, Winston Disreali, bgwah, Mint (4)
Senators opposed: AHDuke, Hans-im-Glück, Tmthforu94, North Carolina Yankee, Fritz (5)
Senators abstaining (with vote): Badger (1)

This bill has enough votes to fail. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

And, after 24 hours, this vote has failed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies