A New Era: The American Political Dynasties and the Progressive Empire (1957)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A New Era: The American Political Dynasties and the Progressive Empire (1957)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Should I continue this Timeline
It's excellent, Continue

It's good, Continue

It's alright, I don't care

It's not that good, but go ahead

It's horrible, salt it and burn it throughly

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: A New Era: The American Political Dynasties and the Progressive Empire (1957)  (Read 32262 times)
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:02:18 PM »
« edited: March 24, 2010, 08:39:37 AM by Senator Ted Kennedy »

Alright.  I'm rapidly losing interest in my 2013 Timeline, so I'm going to be posting a new one.  I'm going to slowly transition from that one to this one.  

This timeline will begin in 1892.  In it, Robert Todd Lincoln defeats incumbent President Benjamin Harrison for the Republican nomination, and goes on to defeat Grover Cleveland for the Presidency.  The ripple effect changes American political history.

I'm pretty sure it could go to present day, but no promises.  I'll be doing things a little differently than my current timeline.

So, what do you guys think of the idea?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:14:53 PM »

Sounds good
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »

sounds good. however i would go with lincoln becoming the republican nominee in 1896.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:23:43 PM »

sounds good. however i would go with lincoln becoming the republican nominee in 1896.
Agreed
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »

I've mostly worked out the bugs in the plot.  I might post the first edition tomorrow (with Lincoln running in 1896).
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:28:47 PM »

Background

On December 26, 1886, Senator John A. Logan of Illinois passed away.  In the special election to replace him, several minor candidates ran.  However, one stood out.  The Former Secretary of War and son of President Abraham Lincoln, Robert Todd Lincoln announced his candidacy to replace Logan, and defeated his challengers by substantial margins. 

Senator Lincoln served out Logan's term, and successfully ran for reelection in 1890.  In 1892, he ran for Governor of Illinois and easily defeated Democrat John Peter Altgeld.  After serving one term as Governor, and a horrible Democrat Presidential term, Governor Lincoln was convinced to run for the Republican Nomination for President of the United States.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:44:06 PM »

Background

On December 26, 1886, Senator John A. Logan of Illinois passed away.  In the special election to replace him, several minor candidates ran.  However, one stood out.  The Former Secretary of War and son of President Abraham Lincoln, Robert Todd Lincoln announced his candidacy to replace Logan, and defeated his challengers by substantial margins. 

Back then, they had the state legislatures select Senators for each state. So I'm assuming Lincoln was selected by the Illinois state legislature to finish out Logan's term.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »

Background

Back then, they had the state legislatures select Senators for each state. So I'm assuming Lincoln was selected by the Illinois state legislature to finish out Logan's term.

I'll edit that.  I saw the words elected, so I assumed...

Yes, he was elected by the Legislature.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:15:12 PM »

1892-1896

In the 1892 Presidential Elections, Former President Grover Cleveland handily defeats incumbent Benjamin Harrison.  The Cleveland presidency was largely unsuccessful in halting the Panic of 1893.  President Cleveland, while being personally popular, is widely criticized.  Overall, the Presidency of Grover Cleveland was exactly the same as it was in reality.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 09:52:13 PM »

Republican Nomination - 1896

The main candidates for the Republican Nomination for President in 1896 were Governor Robert T. Lincoln, Former Governor William McKinley, and Governor Levi Morton.  After five ballots, Governor Robert Lincoln of Illinois was selected as the Presidential nominee over Former Governor William McKinley.  The Vice Presidential election was less contested, and it was an accepted fact that the Republican ticket would carry both Lincoln and McKinley, as McKinley handily won the Vice Presidential nomination.

Nominee:  Robert Todd Lincoln/William McKinley

Democratic Nomination - 1896

As in reality, the Democratic Nomination was hotly contested.  Eventually, a Former Representative from Nebraska, William Jennings Bryan, gave a speech widely regarded as one of the greatest in American political history, sealing the nomination.  After an intense election for Vice President, wealthy shipbuilder Arthur Sewall was selected as the Vice Presidential Nominee.

Nominee:  William Jennings Bryan/Arthur Sewall

General Election - 1896

As in reality, the election was dominated by the issue of Free Silver.  The Republicans ridiculed Bryant for his position on the subject.  Overall, the campaign proceeded much like the one in reality, with the Republicans pulling ahead due to their position on a Gold Standard.  With the added possibility of the ever popular Robert Lincoln in the White House, it was a relatively lopsided election.

Lincoln/McKinley:  302
Bryant/Sewall:  145
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »

Comments are definitely appreciated.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »

Sounds exciting! Can't wait to see how everything folds out!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »

Very good! (Side note: If this is a rise of dynasties, a Lincoln/Roosevelt ticket might be very interesting!!!
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:05 PM »

Very good! (Side note: If this is a rise of dynasties, a Lincoln/Roosevelt ticket might be very interesting!!!

If this continues to present day, there will be quite a few political dynasties. No comment on what the tickets will be - just gonna have to tune in and find out!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »

If this continues to present day, there will be quite a few political dynasties. No comment on what the tickets will be - just gonna have to tune in and find out!

Cheesy
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »

The First Term of President Robert Todd Lincoln (1897 - 1901)

Governor Robert Todd Lincoln was sworn in as the 25th President of the United States on March 4, 1897, at the age of 53.  His inauguration was one of the most anticipated events of the decade to those eager to see the son of Abraham Lincoln in the White House. 

Under the Dingley Act, tariffs were raised in 1897 to all time highs.  President Lincoln signed the act into law on July 24, 1887.  Throughout 1887, President Lincoln's economic policies showed success in weakening the effect of the Panic of 1893.  After word of the Klondike Gold Rush hit the East Coast in July 1897, the economy boomed.  It seemed that the effects of the 1893 and 1896 had mostly subsided.

In July of 1897, the King of Hawaii, Kalakaua, was forced to sign a new constitution.  Widely know as the Bayonet Constitution, he was threatened with deposition.  The document stripped the king of most of his power, and set a precedence for the future annexation of the islands.

The path of Lincoln's Presidency changed dramatically on February 15, 1898.  On that date, the USS Maine exploded and sank in Havana harbor, killing 266 of the men aboard.  Despite calls for a war with Spain and general anti-Spanish sentiment, President Lincoln urges calm.  He asks for a full investigation into the disaster.  On March 28, the Navy releases their findings on the investigation; the ship was sank by a mine.  The public was enraged, and calls for war were overwhelming.  On April 22, President Lincoln ordered a blockade of all Cuban ports.  Three days later, the United States declared war on Spain.

The war was going well for American forces throughout Spring and Summer.  Their Invasions of the Philippines, Cuba, and Puerto Rico had yielded few troop deaths, and severe Spanish defeats.  Spain's fleets had been utterly destroyed by August, and on August 25 a Protocol was signed ending hostiles between the nations.

In the Treaty of Paris, signed on December 30, 1898, the United States gained control of virtually all Spain's colonies, including Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and Guam.  Cuba remained under the control of the United States while an independent government was being formed.

Soon, US forces in the Philippines faced opposition from independence groups there.  On February 4, 1899, fighting broke out in Manilla.  President Lincoln held that there was no war; that US troops were combating insurgents in the islands.  Meanwhile, a colonial government was established in the Philippines, under a Commission headed by newly appointed Governor William Howard Taft. 

United States troop numbers drastically increased in June of 1899 under the order of President Lincoln.  President Lincoln held the belief that the only way the fighting could be quickly extinguished was by the capture or death of the leader of the Independence movement, Emilio Aguinaldo.  "President" Aguinaldo continued to slip out of the grasp of American troops until January 17, 1900, when he was finally captured along with one his top generals.  Both men volunteered to swear allegiance to United States, and did so on February 1, 1900, ending their government, and effectively ending the Philippine-American War.

After two successful wars and territorial gains, President Lincoln was wildly popular.  On April 30, 1900, Hawaii became an official territory of the United States. 

Republican Nomination - 1900

Robert Todd Lincoln, the wildly popular incumbent President, was unanimously nominated for a second term.  Vice President William McKinley decided not to seek a second term as Vice President, and another popular figure, Governor Theodore Roosevelt, was selected to be the Vice Presidential nominee.

Democratic Nomination - 1900

Former Representative William Jennings Bryan one again won the Democratic nomination, this time defeating a relatively open ballot.  The Democrats chose Former Representative Adlai Stevenson as their candidate for Vice President.

General Election - 1900

Whether it was the booming economy, the Spanish-American War, or the success in the Philippines, the President had a plethora of successes in his first term.  With two candidates seen as the most popular politicians of their time, the Republicans had an overwhelming victory on Election Day.

Lincoln/Roosevelt:  335
Bryan/Stevenson:  112

justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 01:35:34 PM »

Comments?
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »

It seems very similar to real life... I'd like to see the USA take a more imperialist sentiment with the new dynasties, though.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »

It seems very similar to real life... I'd like to see the USA take a more imperialist sentiment with the new dynasties, though.

It's going to be for the first few posts.  It'll break off around 1912...say...3 posts.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 08:48:38 PM »

The Second Term of President Robert Todd Lincoln

President Robert Todd Lincoln was inaugurated to his second term on March 4, 1901, at the age of 57.  At the beginning of his second term, President Lincoln was widely considered one of the most popular Presidents of all time.

After the stock market crashed on May 27, 1901, President Lincoln did not take immediate action.  It proved not needed, as the market corrected itself shortly after.

On September 5, 1901, President Lincoln and his wife Mary arrived at the Pan-American Exposition.  On September 6, President Lincoln visited Niagara Falls with the First Lady, then returned to Buffalo for a public reception at the Temple of Music.  He arrived at the Exposition at 3:30 P.M., and proceeded to walk inside, while shaking hands with those outside the building.  At 4:07 P.M., while President Lincoln went to shake his hand, an anarchist, Leon Czolgosz shot him twice with a concealed pistol, with one bullet hitting his rib, and the other traveling through his kidney, liver, pancreas, and spinal cord, before becoming lodged in his back muscles.  Czolgosz was tackled and beaten, despite Lincoln's pleas for the crowd to stop.  Despite the best attempts of his guards and onlookers, President Lincoln had bled to death due to his liver injury by the time an ambulance arrived. 

Vice President Roosevelt, who was in Vermont when he heard the news of the assassination, was sworn in as President of the United States at 11:40 A.M. the next day, at the age of 42.  President Roosevelt quickly set a new reputation as President.  Unlike Lincoln, who was seen as calm and collected in even the most dire scenarios, Roosevelt was seen as bold and brash.  Roosevelt quickly became the nation's most popular politician, seen as family oriented, active, and articulate. 

Roosevelt, who supported the movement for Cuban independence, overrode Lincoln's decision and sped up the process to give the island it's independence.  On May 18, 1902, the Republic of Cuba was established. 

In line with his Progressive ideals, Roosevelt raised regulation on railroad corporations and pushed to break up monopolies and trusts.  The President expanded the Navy and began construction of the Panama Canal. 

As a prominent environmentalist, President Roosevelt put the issue high on his agenda.  He established several national forests and parks, and created the United States Forest Service.

As President Roosevelt finished the term of President Lincoln, he had remarkable popularity, even more so than Lincoln.  As the President's term concluded, his boom of popularity after the assassination had barely been negated.

Republican Nomination - 1904

President Theodore Roosevelt was unanimously selected as the Republican nominee for President.  For Vice President, Senator Charles Fairbanks was unanimously selected as the Vice Presidential nominee.

Democratic Nomination - 1904

After a relatively intense nomination process, Judge Alton B. Parker was selected as the Democratic candidate for President.  Senator Henry G. Davis was selected as the Vice Presidential nominee.

General Election - 1904

Between the assassination of President Robert T. Lincoln, President Roosevelt's youth and charisma, and his successful Presidency, he defeated the Democratic candidate in one of the most lopsided elections in history.

Roosevelt/Fairbanks:  401
Parker/Davis:  75
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »

Comments?

I know it is a lot like the actual timeline, but it will evolve shortly.  Roosevelt is the catalyst of the rest of the century, and beyond.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »

Comments?

I know it is a lot like the actual timeline, but it will evolve shortly.  Roosevelt is the catalyst of the rest of the century, and beyond.

Great Timeline! Smiley Very interesting. I wouldn't worry too too much about the fact that it's similar to OTL, since (I think) it's better to be similar than flat-out unrealistic. Plus you're planning to evolve the TL differently than OTL anyway, so you're fine. Keep it up!
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:17 PM »

Comments?

Great Timeline! Smiley Very interesting. I wouldn't worry too too much about the fact that it's similar to OTL, since (I think) it's better to be similar than flat-out unrealistic. Plus you're planning to evolve the TL differently than OTL anyway, so you're fine. Keep it up!

Thanks Smiley

You'll see the first major change from reality occur at the end of next post.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 09:45:56 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2010, 10:41:47 PM by Governor Bill Richardson (D-NM) »

The Second Term of Theodore Roosevelt

President Theodore Roosevelt was inaugurated to his second term as President on March 4, 1905, at the age of 46.  

One of the most pressing issues during Roosevelt's second term in office was the Russo-Japanese War, which in just one year had claimed more than 100,000 lives.  President Roosevelt negotiated an end to the conflict in New Hampshire, where the Treaty of Portsmouth was written and signed by both parties, ending the war.

In 1906, Roosevelt signed bills that forbid the sale of tainted or impure food products. In 1907, Roosevelt began speaking out in favor of mandatory and universal health care.  While these remarks gained little attention, this sparked the potential of a future bill.  In 1906, President Roosevelt was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

In 1907, President Roosevelt also asked for a bill that would force the sterilization of the sick, criminals, prostitutes, and the disabled.  Throughout his second term the bill was never seriously considered.

Through President Roosevelt's second term, he continued to push Progressive policies.  Roosevelt never really lost the popularity he gained after Lincoln's assassinations, and through his seven years as President, he remained incredibly popular.  However, many of his policies failed to get traction through his first term.  Among them were a federal income tax, a mandatory and universal health care system, the creation of a new Central Banking system (a move proposed after the Panic of 1907), and the continued combating of monopolies.

As the 1908 Election approached, President Roosevelt searched for a candidate that had both the vigor and Progressive ideals to carry on his legacy.  He considered William Howard Taft as his successor, but saw him as an inactive man without ambitious ideals.  He never considered endorsing Vice President Fairbanks, who opposed Progressiveness.  He considered another strong Progressive, Senator Robert M. La Follette, and ultimately decided to endorse him for President.

Republican Nomination - 1908

As President Roosevelt announced he would not run for a third term as President, the population buzzed with anticipation over who he would endorse.  President Roosevelt endorsed Senator Robert M. La Follette for President.  After an intense battle for the nomination with Secretary of War Taft and Vice President Fairbanks, Senator La Follette received the Presidential nomination, and Secretary Taft received the Vice Presidential nomination.

Democratic Nomination - 1908

The Democrats again nominated Representative William Jennings Bryan for President, his third time as the nominee.  His running mate was John Werth Kern.

General Election - 1908

With President Roosevelt campaigning vigorously for La Follette, and the overall popularity of the Republican party, La Follette had an easy victory over the relentless loser Bryan.

La Follette/Taft:  350
Bryan/Kern:  133

List of Presidents:

24:  Stephen Grover Cleveland  (March 4, 1893 - March 4, 1897)
25:  Robert Todd Lincoln  (March 4, 1897 - September 6, 1901)
26:  Theodore Roosevelt  (September 7, 1901 - March 4, 1909)
27:  Robert Marion La Follette Sr.  (March 4, 1909 - Present)

List of Vice Presidents:

23:  Adlai Ewing Stevenson I  (March 4, 1893 - March 4, 1897)
24:  William McKinley  (March 4, 1897 - March 4, 1901)
25:  Theodore Roosevelt  (March 4, 1901 - September 7, 1901)
26:  Charles Warren Fairbanks  (March 4, 1905 - March 4, 1909)
27:  William Howard Taft  (March 4, 1909 - Present)

justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 10:22:15 PM »

Comments?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies