Is "Reagan Democrat" the dumbest term in the American politics lexicon?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:43:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is "Reagan Democrat" the dumbest term in the American politics lexicon?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is "Reagan Democrat" the dumbest term in the American politics lexicon?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is "Reagan Democrat" the dumbest term in the American politics lexicon?  (Read 1955 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »

Yes, easily. It is so mind-numblingly moronic hearing it gives me the urge to smack the complete moron who said it.

Remember how in 2008 we kept hearing about how Western Pennsylvania was full of Reagan Democrats?

Idiots.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:20:03 PM »

No, there are plenty of dumber terms.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »

No, not really. Interesting counterpart in Britain: The traditional Labour 'Essex man' who voted Conservative in the elections of 79, 83 and 87.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:25:26 PM »

It has a certain legitimate historical use, but using it as a shorthand for all working class Democrats who sometimes vote for Republican Presidential candidates is idiotic, yeah.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »

No. BTW, they're called Reagan Democrats because they voted for Reagan in 1980 and/or 1984 and then began voting Democrat again, especially after 1988. I'm sure there are many people in Western PA who voted Reagan 1980 and/or 1984 and Obama 2008.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »

No. BTW, they're called Reagan Democrats because they voted for Reagan in 1980 and/or 1984 and then began voting Democrat again, especially after 1988. I'm sure there are many people in Western PA who voted Reagan 1980 and/or 1984 and Obama 2008.

Note the map BRTD put up.  That shows Mondale (who got wiped out nationally) winning large chunks of Western PA that Obama lost 24 years later.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »

Note the map BRTD put up.  That shows Mondale (who got wiped out nationally) winning large chunks of Western PA that Obama lost 24 years later.

All those New Deal Dems are now dead, and have not been replaced in large part, because the mills are old, cold and closed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 02:11:32 PM »

Yeah, without no doubt. It's pretty much the equivalent of "Marchais liberals", "Thatcher labourists" or "Davis abolitionists".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:24:17 PM »

No. It may a dumb term, but this is American politics that we're talking about.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »

No, but McCain Democrats and Obama "Republicans" are. Then again my grandparents Are Dubya Democrats, and I was a Hillary Republican.
Guderian

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 05:10:03 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2010, 05:19:36 PM by Guderian »

I don't think it's a dumb term at all. There's a difference between "dumb" and "overused". It describes an actual phenomenon. It obviously wasn't as strong in western Pennsylvania as it was in other places (and it would be very interesting to read some analysis why) but it still happened. Some states Reagan couldn't possibly win without a very strong showing among white, ethnic, blue-collar Democrats - Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island (in 1984)...

One thing that should be mentioned more often is that the first apperance of "Reagan Democrats" was really in 1972, so they might as well call them "Nixon-Reagan Democrats". And of course, contemporary use of the term is pointless since the demographic has shrunk considerably because of societal change and upward mobility of 1980s and 1990s.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »

I don't think it's a dumb term at all. There's a difference between "dumb" and "overused". It describes an actual phenomenon. It obviously wasn't as strong in western Pennsylvania as it was in other places (and it would be very interesting to read some analysis why) but it still happened. Some states Reagan couldn't possibly win without a very strong showing among white, ethnic, blue-collar Democrats - Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island (in 1984)...

One thing that should be mentioned more often is that the first apperance of "Reagan Democrats" was really in 1972, so they might as well call them "Nixon-Reagan Democrats". And of course, contemporary use of the term is pointless since the demographic has shrunk considerably because of societal change and upward mobility of 1980s and 1990s.

The collapse of the steel industry in the early 80's left unemployment in SW PA significantly higher then the national average. Much of the economic recovery the nation was experiencing in late 1984 had not begun to find its way to that region. Mondale carried Alleghany County (Pittsburgh) by over 90k whereas Carter carried it by barely 25k. There still were Reagan Democrats around the region, though. My grnadfather for one.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 08:45:08 PM »

There are probably more people in other sections of PA that voted for Reagan. However, I was responding to BRTD's question and no, Reagan Democrats is not a dumb term. There are many voters who voted for Reagan either once or twice and voted Democratic before and after Reagan (possibly with the exception of 1988). As for the people who said that there are many Reagan Democrats in Western Pennsylvania, they were wrong for the most part, but I would like a see a link to someone saying that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 09:49:04 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2010, 11:18:47 PM by memphis »

Yes, easily. It is so mind-numblingly moronic hearing it gives me the urge to smack the complete moron who said it.

Remember how in 2008 we kept hearing about how Western Pennsylvania was full of Reagan Democrats?

Idiots.
It doesn't apply to Southwestern PA, but take a look at Erie, Scranton, and Allentown.
RRB
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 11:01:11 PM »

YES, it is dumb.  This was a product of the 1980s.  Most of these people were upper middle age and older people then,  Many of them are now dead.  Think about that for a minute and your opinion will change if you said no.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 11:19:03 PM »

Idiots.
It doesn't apply to Western PA, but take a look at Erie, Scranton, and Allentown.

Reagan won by 18 points nationwide. He won by 3 points in Erie county, and about 2 in Lackawanna. He won by 20 points in Lehigh County, but that's still barely over the national average. Meanwhile note the Philly suburbs. The real "Reagan Democrats" in Pennsylvania are the affluent suburban ones and that's true just about anywhere.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 01:04:30 AM »

Idiots.
It doesn't apply to Western PA, but take a look at Erie, Scranton, and Allentown.

Reagan won by 18 points nationwide. He won by 3 points in Erie county, and about 2 in Lackawanna. He won by 20 points in Lehigh County, but that's still barely over the national average. Meanwhile note the Philly suburbs. The real "Reagan Democrats" in Pennsylvania are the affluent suburban ones and that's true just about anywhere.

They would be "Reagan Republicans," considering that that cohort didn't start moving to the Dems until the 2000s.
Guderian

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 04:40:43 AM »

Exactly. "Affluent suburban Democrat" was a rare bird in 1984.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 08:07:51 AM »

Anything with the name "Reagan" on it, is pretty dumb.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »

Idiots.

Right. And to win by 18 points nationally (and by smaller margins in PA and elsewhere) he had to win over some traditionally Democratic voters.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »

Using the old 1980s term in current environment is just retarded.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies