New study disproves link between marijuana and psychosis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:20:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  New study disproves link between marijuana and psychosis
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New study disproves link between marijuana and psychosis  (Read 1513 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »

http://www.thehempire.com/index.php/cannabis/cannabis_plant/does_cannabis_cause_psychosis

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Posted without comment.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:27 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2010, 09:56:09 AM by HoffmanJohn »

common sense tells me that it would be hard to prove that LONG TERM use of marijuana may lead to psychosis. This is because if Marijuana is a gateway drug than it is possible that the individual may also have been doing other drugs as well. It is also important to consider what chemicals local growers might use in order to get their product to grow faster.

The article mentions schizophrenia and thus i am very curious as to the age of when someone starts smoking weed, and when they have their first episode of schizophrenia. This is important because schizophrenia normally occurs in individuals between that ages of 16-25. After that time period it becomes less common for an individual to develop the mental disorder(whatever).
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »

common sense tells me that it would be hard to prove that LONG TERM use of marijuana may lead to psychosis. This is because if Marijuana is a gateway drug than it is possible that the individual may also have been doing other drugs as well.

However, if marijuana is a drug that significantly increases your chances of becoming president (and all evidence suggests that it does), then perhaps that should be taken into account as well.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:27:02 AM »

Interesting, but I am not sure CP is the same as cannabis induced psychosis. Anyway, the rap is that for those predisposed to psychosis, pot use can be the straw the breaks the camel's back, and pushes one over the edge as the already overstressed nuerons take on more than they can handle.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »

In a modern society using a plant for medical purposes just seems kind of bizzare.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »

In a modern society using a plant for medical purposes just seems kind of bizzare.

Uh, why? This comment of yours seems kind of bizarre.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:56:52 AM »

Most of the drugs we have are or at one point were derived from plants. Quinine, Novacaine, cortisone, opides, etc. We might synthesize a lot of that now but that's really the root of medicine and we keep finding new sources all the time.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2010, 04:00:54 PM by HoffmanJohn »

Most of the drugs we have are or at one point were derived from plants. Quinine, Novacaine, cortisone, opides, etc. We might synthesize a lot of that now but that's really the root of medicine and we keep finding new sources all the time.

Yeah I know, but if the mary jane is converted to pill form it may appear more mainstream. I am more used to thinking about dudes in lab coats crushing chemicals and so forth. It is important to realize that there are some potential social norms that MJ just does not conform to. For example smoking a blunt to help with pain is so much different from taking a pill or an injection. Thus MJ needs to marketed in a way that can make the drug more popular, and normal.

marijuana may be an effective palliative, but it if it isn't very popular than medical marijuana may be a commercial failure. It may sound dumb that demand for a product is controlled by social norms, but just look at how condoms in third world countries are often shunned. Society often takes time to adapt to new things, and advocates of medical marijuana are going to have to realize this. Marketing any product is one of the most important things in ensuring that the product succeeds.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »

Yeah I know, but if the mary jane is converted to pill form it may appear more mainstream. I am more used to thinking about dudes in lab coats crushing chemicals and so forth. It is important to realize that there are some potential social norms that MJ just does not conform to. For example smoking a blunt to help with pain is so much different from taking a pill or an injection. Thus MJ needs to marketed in a way that can make the drug more popular, and normal.

marijuana may be an effective palliative, but it if it isn't very popular than medical marijuana may be a commercial failure. It may sound dumb that demand for a product is controlled by social norms, but just look at how condoms in third world countries are often shunned. Society often takes time to adapt to new things, and advocates of medical marijuana are going to have to realize this. Marketing any product is one of the most important things in ensuring that the product succeeds.

vast majority of Americans in all national polls support medical marijuana
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »

vast majority of Americans in all national polls support medical marijuana

I am talking about marketing but more on that latter....time to eat.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:05:21 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2010, 05:07:32 PM by Governor Morgan Brykein »

Whether or not cannabis is linked to psychosis has no bearing on whether or not it should be legal.  It's a collectivist argument, that it should be illegal because of it's health effects.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2010, 05:15:46 PM by TOSOS™ »

Whether or not cannabis is linked to psychosis has no bearing on whether or not it should be legal.  It's a collectivist argument, that it should be illegal because of it's health effects.

I fail to see how this is an argument in and of itself. Something like PCP is almost guaranteed to induce some sort of dissociative/psychotic state, for example. What do you expect to happen if someone on that is in public? It would be the same with Marijuana if it had comparable effects, although it should have been obvious to anyone whose done their homework before this that claims of 'psychosis' were hysterical nonsense.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »

Whether or not cannabis is linked to psychosis has no bearing on whether or not it should be legal.  It's a collectivist argument, that it should be illegal because of it's health effects.

I fail to see how this is an argument in and of itself. Something like PCP is almost guaranteed to induce some sort of dissociative state, for example. Do you really trust people like that to interact with others in public without any negative consequences? It would be the same with Marijuana if it induced that, although it should have been obvious to anyone whose done their homework before this that claims of 'psychosis' were hysterical nonsense.

I oppose legalization of hard drugs for the very fact that they can lead to such dangerous behavior.  A lot of crime has been committed by people who were high on drugs like meth or heroin.  So I guess you're right in that sense.

Disregard the first half of my earlier statement.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »

All drugs should be legalized. Punish actions, not potentialities.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »

What is your opinion of laws against driving while intoxicated?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »

What is your opinion of laws against driving while intoxicated?
Impairment must be demonstrated.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 06:40:04 PM »

stop trying to change the subject, but than again this thread has kind of gone off topic.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 06:45:33 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2010, 07:03:05 PM by HoffmanJohn »

can I see where the original study was first published. I would just like to know if this was published in a peer reviewed journal. This would be important because than it would be easier to analyze the research methods. I really cant take this paper seriously until I can see how it is peer-reviewed, and in fact I am already starting to see how this article could have some flaws......

//Urgent research is also needed into which ingredients of cannabis are responsible for any mental disorders which are attributed to its use, particularly since Britain's most popular product - Moroccan soap-bar/formula - is routinely adulterated with toxic chemicals.//

Also this line is pretty interesting, and re-affirms my opinion that Marijuana should be researched further...I mean cannabis or whatever.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »

can I see where the original study was first published. I would just like to know if this was published in a peer reviewed journal. This would be important because than it would be easier to analyze the research methods. I really cant take this paper seriously until I can see how it is peer-reviewed, and in fact I am already starting to see how this article could have some flaws......

//Urgent research is also needed into which ingredients of cannabis are responsible for any mental disorders which are attributed to its use, particularly since Britain's most popular product - Moroccan soap-bar/formula - is routinely adulterated with toxic chemicals.//

Also this line is pretty interesting, and re-affirms my opinion that Marijuana should be researched further...I mean cannabis or whatever.

I just read one article where cannabis use may increase psychosis,but this is more likely to occur if the individual started smoking that fat blunt magic when they were in there teens. There is a confirmed genetic disposition to schizophrenia, and individuals who have this genetic disposition shouldn't smoke pot. Kind of like how individuals with manic depression shouldn't smoke either.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »

no single study is able to prove or disprove much of anything
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: