The Solider's Stand: 1920 and beyond
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:29:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Solider's Stand: 1920 and beyond
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Solider's Stand: 1920 and beyond  (Read 3504 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:48:03 PM »
« edited: March 10, 2010, 11:57:17 PM by A.G. Barnes »

The Solider's Stand

The 1920 Presidential election
The election of 1920 could be described as a "Battle of Wills". On the Republican side, stood General John J. Pershing, the famed American Leader in the recently ended world war. For the Democrats, there stood James M. Cox, heir apparent to President Woodrow Wilson.

At first, it was assumed there was to be a Republican sweep of the nation, however, many Republicans became dissatisfied with Pershing because of his relative support for some of President Wilson's policies. But, seeing as no other candidate wished to challenge the famed war hero, most Republicans forgave their dissatisfactions and voted for the General.

For the Democrats, the election was a constant up hill battle. President Wilson was unpopular with the majority of Americans, and Cox was unable to separate himself from Wilson's shadow.

On November 2nd, with votes pouring in across the country, it became clear to Democrats and Republicans alike that The Soldier's Stand had proven the strongest.

Electoral Vote
Pershing/Lenroot: 382
Cox/Roosevelt: 149

Popular Vote:
Pershing/Lenroot: 57.3
Cox/Roosevelt: 36.7

Up Next: The Pershing presidency!
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »

This sounds like a great TL! However, you seem to have listed Cox as Davis in the election results. Just thought you should know. 
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:56:31 PM »

It should be interesting how the 20s roll out without big buisness men as presidents like karding and coolidge.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:57:47 PM »

This sounds like a great TL! However, you seem to have listed Cox as Davis in the election results. Just thought you should know. 

Thanks! For some reason I couldn't get 1924 off my mind! Grin
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:28 AM »

Excellent TL. Good luck, and I can't wait to see the Pershing presidency!!!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »

Thanks for the comments so far, guys! I hope to have the next update tonight, but I can't believe how difficult assembling a Presidential Cabinet is! Grin
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:26:28 PM »

Thanks for the comments so far, guys! I hope to have the next update tonight, but I can't believe how difficult assembling a Presidential Cabinet is! Grin

I feel you.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »

The First Term of John J. Pershing

"My fellow Countrymen, we have just been trough the darkest part of the valley, and come out trough the other side more established and prepared than ever before. However, there is another power that has not received what is deserves. I speak of the Weimar Republic. The German government must present the United States with a bill of complete and unconditional surrender, anything less shall be beneath the United States, and I shall reject it."
-Portion of President Peshing's Inaugural Address. March 4, 1921

The major appointments that the President made to his Cabinet were:
Nicholas Murray Butler, Secretary of State
Charles Curtis, Secretary of the Treasury
Leonard Wood, Secretary of War

All of the nominations were confirmed without much fuss, and the President held his first Cabinet Meeting on March 15. There, he stated that he was totally opposed to a simple armistice with Germany, and even considered redeploying soldiers to Europe to "Convince those damn Huns!". Secretaries Butler and Wood were able to get the President to back down form the military action, however, and Butler announced plans to leave for Europe on May 2nd.

The next point of business that came to the table was a planned Farm Loan Package. Many pro-business Republicans tried to convince the President to switch to a Tariff bill, but, he seemed more trustworthy of the farmers, and presented The Farm Loan and Investment Act of 1921 to Congress in May.

Coming Up Next: Crisis and Compromise
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:45:12 PM »

Comments anyone? Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 10:15:05 PM »

One word perfectly describes this...
Brilliant.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 06:46:45 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2010, 06:56:28 PM by A.G. Barnes »

On May 2nd, Secretary of State Nicholas Butler departed for Versailles, where he was to meet with representatives from the Weimar Republic. Secretary Butler reached France on May 8th, and immediately set to work. He was under strict orders from President Pershing to get unconditional surrender. The Germans' main representative was Friedrich Rosen, the newly appointed Foreign Minister. Rosen had only become Minister on May 10, and was, at first, nervous about the conference, however, he soon comfortably adjusted to his position. Soon after the Conference began, the two parties fell into stalemate with one another. Butler and Rosen would debate each other for hours regularly. The Germans felt that the Americans were demanding too much from their already taxed nation, and were only willing to sign a document of surrender. Finally, at the end of June, the stalemate was broken. The final treaty was a complete surrender of Germany, but the United State would give the country a much needed loan to help their faltering economy. Along with this loan, Germany had to have at least a third of its war debt owed to the United States payed off by 1927. The Treaty was endorsed by the Convention on July 10th, and, as quickly as possible, sent to the US.

President Pershing was unhappy about the loan the United States would give to Germany, however, he was happy a deal had been stuck, and supported the treaty. The same was not true for the Senate. Many Senators were outraged over the loan, and vowed they would vote against the treaty. After a month of intensely heated debate, the Senate voted on August 18, the vote break down was this:
Aye: 45
Nay: 51

The Treaty had failed by just four votes. President Pershing was outraged. He sent word to Secretary Butler, who was about to return home, and ordered that he resume the talks.

Once the Germans heard about the failure of the treaty, the whole Convention collapsed. Friedrich Rosen resigned as Foreign Affairs Minister, and Chancellor Joseph Wirth appointed himself to replace Rosen as Minister.

By the beginning of September, the Convention had started to meet again, and the process started over...
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »

One word perfectly describes this...
Brilliant.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:28:38 AM »

Treaties require 2/3 vote in the Senate. Other than that, very nicely done.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:23:13 AM »

Treaties require 2/3 vote in the Senate. Other than that, very nicely done.

Thanks! Smiley Well, the treaty failed the Senate anyway, but I'll remember that when it comes around again! Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »

Would anyone like to see this continue?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »

The Economy

On June 3, the House began debate on The Farm Loan and Investment Act of 1921. The bill was strongly opposed by big-business Northern Republicans, but was applauded by westerners and southerners. The business faction of the Republicans tried every effort they could to stop the bill, and it floundered in a House Committee for eight weeks until it was finally sent to the full chamber on August 9.

By August 10, the opposition had lost most of its ground, and the bill passed 250-185.

By the end of August, the Senate began to debate the bill, and here was where the President faced the most trouble. The prospect of a GOP Filibuster convinced President Pershing to hold a top level meeting with Republican Senate leaders.

Ohio Senator Warren G. Harding was the leading faction of Big Business Republicans dissatisfied with President Pershing, and he was seen as most likely to try and kill the Farm Loan Act. 

However, Treasury Secretary Charles Curtis was able to convince enough Senators to support the bill that talks of a filibuster were laid to rest.

The Farm Loan Act finally came to a vote in the Senate on October 13, and passed 55-41.

The President singed it into law on October 15.

Meanwhile, the US economy was still in a severe economic Depression brought on by World War I. New statistics showed the unemployment rate at 11.7%, with no signs of it decreasing.

The Big Business Republicans were screaming for a more pro-business economic agenda, however, President Pershing seamed to not be listening.

Senator Warren G. Harding, de facto Pro-Business leader in the Senate.
Ike56
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 05:35:35 PM »

Would love to see this one go on, A.G.; I am new to the TL realm, but am enjoying it thus far.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »

Would love to see this one go on, A.G.; I am new to the TL realm, but am enjoying it thus far.

Thanks!

Also, just call me Barnes. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »

Thanks!

You should consider to continue, Barnes Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 08:27:09 PM »

Thanks!

I just made an update today. Tongue Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »

Thanks!

I just made an update today. Tongue Wink

Touche!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 08:41:02 PM »

AWESOME Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »

This is good; However I wonder how Senator Harding got to be a leader of anything; Even in 1920, he was generally considered a potential Vice President before a potential President.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 11:19:50 PM »

This is good; However I wonder how Senator Harding got to be a leader of anything; Even in 1920, he was generally considered a potential Vice President before a potential President.

Don't think of him as a "Leader", and more as an "avid spokesman".

Basically, Harding is trying to lay the grounds for a possible '24 campaign, but more into that later! Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies