Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2014, 09:24:13 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  MW: The Midwest Pro-Workers and Pro-Growth Amendment Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MW: The Midwest Pro-Workers and Pro-Growth Amendment Bill  (Read 413 times)
Cris
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2014, 09:09:28 am »
Ignore

The Midwest Pro-Workers and Pro-Growth Amendment Bill
This bill shall amend the Midwest Pro Workers and Pro Growth Act
Section two of the bill shall now read.
1. Employers are hereby required to provide employees with a total of 150 paid days of leave for the express purpose of raising young children. That is, parents shall receive full pay for days claimed under paid parental leave.
2. Employees may take these paid days off at any time until the child reaches the age of eight.
3. Parents may share the paid parental leave between themselves and are encouraged to do so. 100 of the 150 days are allowed to be used by the other parent/guardian.
4. Employees may claim parental leave days at any point after the pregnancy is confirmed to an expectant mother. Those who claim days prior to the birth of the child shall be required to give a valid medical reason as to why, signed off on by a medical doctor, for the purposes of validation.

Sponsor: Former Representative GAworth.

MW Rep Vega
Vega
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:23:04 pm »
Ignore

There probably should be two doctors who have to sign off on the leave.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
GAworth
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 08:42:03 pm »
Ignore

That could be tricky in our more remote communities, but I am not opposed to it Representative.

This merely amends the Midwest Pro-Workers and Pro-Growth Act passed by the Althing earlier this year.

E: -3.87 S: -1.57
Cris
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:56:59 pm »
Ignore

Bump

Gass3268
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 03:31:16 pm »
Ignore

That could be tricky in our more remote communities, but I am not opposed to it Representative.

This merely amends the Midwest Pro-Workers and Pro-Growth Act passed by the Althing earlier this year.

What does it change.
GAworth
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 12:05:58 am »
Ignore

http://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Midwest_Statute_(Passed_by_Al%C3%BEing)#Midwest_pro_workers_and_pro_growth_Act

Gass3268
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 12:43:13 pm »
Ignore

I like the giving the option of more days to the father, but I do not support reducing the number of days by off by 75. 225 is a good number.
RR1997
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »
Ignore

I'm undecided at the moment, and I'm open up to debate.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:40:21 pm by RR1997 »Logged

PM Economic:2.13
PM Social:  -2.17

Summary of my political views
GAworth
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:17 am »
Ignore

225 is excessive, that is nearly 2/3rds of the year off. I do believe that Family Leave is important, however, I disagree with the length.

Cris
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »
Ignore

I like the bill.

Anyone has an amendment?

RR1997
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 04:54:30 pm »
Ignore

225 is excessive, that is nearly 2/3rds of the year off. I do believe that Family Leave is important, however, I disagree with the length.

You're right. Maybe shortening the length is a good idea.

MW Rep Vega
Vega
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 05:51:43 pm »
Ignore

Cut the length of time to 150 days? I can live with that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:39:25 pm by MW Rep Vega »Logged

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.
Gass3268
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 09:09:46 pm »
Ignore

I will not vote for this act, we should not be taking benefits away from people.
MW Governor LeBron FitzGerald
adamobawesomebiberg
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 08:14:37 pm »
Ignore

I can't support this. I like the idea of giving more paid days to the other parent, but this revision cuts off 2 1/2 months of well-deserved parental leave that's important to help the parents get adjusted in their new lives. It gives more unwielding power to employers to tell parents when and when they can't take time off and just reduces the time by too much.

Therefore, I'll veto this if it makes it to my desk.

Economic: -7.16
Social: -2.87

Outgoing Ohio Democratic Party Chairman and State Representative Chris Redfern - "Probably on paper [FitzGerald was] one of the best [gubernatorial candidates] that we’ve seen since Dick Celeste first ran in 1978"

Cris
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 08:29:06 am »
Ignore

We need a compromise.

GAworth
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 09:58:52 am »
Ignore

I can't support this. I like the idea of giving more paid days to the other parent, but this revision cuts off 2 1/2 months of well-deserved parental leave that's important to help the parents get adjusted in their new lives. It gives more unwielding power to employers to tell parents when and when they can't take time off and just reduces the time by too much.

Therefore, I'll veto this if it makes it to my desk.

With all due respect, this version of the law still allows for 5 months of paid leave. I believe that this is still very generous. Many countries around the world do not have this long paid leave on the books. Now I think if we want, adding back the additional 2 1/2 months, but that time being unpaid. I could accept that compromise.

Cris
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 02:26:05 pm »
Ignore

So... anyone has an amendment?
If not, I will open a final vote tomorrow.

Gass3268
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 02:55:48 pm »
Ignore

Here's my amendment:

1. Employers are hereby required to provide employees with a total of 225 paid days of leave for the express purpose of raising young children. That is, parents shall receive full pay for days claimed under paid parental leave.
2. Employees may take these paid days off at any time until the child reaches the age of eight.
3. Parents may share the paid parental leave between themselves and are encouraged to do so. 100 of the 225 days are allowed to be used by the other parent/guardian.
4. Employees may claim parental leave days at any point after the pregnancy is confirmed to an expectant mother. Those who claim days prior to the birth of the child shall be required to give a valid medical reason as to why, signed off on by a medical doctor, for the purposes of validation.
MW Rep Vega
Vega
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 05:27:15 pm »
Ignore

That looks better.

RR1997
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 09:53:55 pm »
Ignore

Here's my amendment:

1. Employers are hereby required to provide employees with a total of 225 paid days of leave for the express purpose of raising young children. That is, parents shall receive full pay for days claimed under paid parental leave.
3. Parents may share the paid parental leave between themselves and are encouraged to do so. 100 of the 225 days are allowed to be used by the other parent/guardian.

So the only change in your amendment is changing the number of days back to 225 days, right? I'm undecided, but lean towards supporting this. I also have to say that 225 is a bit excessive.

Cris
YaBB God
Italy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 09:14:14 am »
Ignore

I open a 48-hours vote on the Gass's amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout