Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2015, 08:24:09 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  NE1: Northeast By-Election Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NE1: Northeast By-Election Act  (Read 277 times)
GM DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2015, 03:25:35 pm »
Ignore

Assembly Special Elections Act 2015

Section 1.
1. When a vacancy arises in the Assembly four two or more weeks before the date of expiry of the present term, the vacancy shall be filled by a special election.
2. The special election shall be held in the same manner and procedure as a regular election for the whole Assembly.
3. If the date of the vacancy is two days or less before a Friday, the election shall be held on the next weekend.
4. Upon the certification of the results by the appropriate election administrator, the elected candidate shall be eligible to assume their seat.
5. The governor may appoint a person to fill the vacated seat under the provisions outlined in Sections 2.2-2.3.  The term of the appointed representative shall expire on the swearing-in of the newly elected representative.

Section 2.
1. When a vacancy arises in the Assembly less than four two weeks before the date of expiry of the present term, the vacancy shall be filled by gubernatorial appointment.
2. If the person who vacated the seat was a member of a federally recognized political party at the time of their election, the governor shall appoint a member of the same party to fill the vacancy.
3. If the said party is no longer in operation, or has no registered members residing in the Northeast, Section 2.2 shall be non-applicable.

Section 3.
1. The Assembly Special Elections Act 2014 is repealed.

The debate period will last for 72 hours, to end at 5:00PM EST on Sunday, June 14th - although debate may be extended at that time as the Speaker sees fit.

Rep. Clyde1998, you have 36 hours to advocate for your bill.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:30:05 pm by NE Speaker DKrol »Logged

Clyde1998
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 06:29:01 pm »
Ignore

This bill would ensure that any vacancies in the Assembly are filled with an election, rather than by appointment. The democratic will of the people should decide who is a representative.

Quote from: Mahatma Gandhi
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they come to fight you, and then you win.

Quote from: Winnie Ewing
Stop the world! Scotland wants to get on!
GM DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 06:56:03 pm »
Ignore

I support this.

Sawx, King in the North
SawxDem
YaBB God
Zimbabwe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 07:15:49 pm »
Ignore

We already have laws for special elections on the books - which are actually prompter on when the election should be held than this one.

And even if we didn't, I wouldn't sign it. Waiving of a special election for candidates with only one candidate can cause very big problems - essentially, under this law, nobody could hold a write-in campaign for the seat.

#FREELEBRON

Quote from: Snowguy716
Sawx, pop a molly and you will fit in anywhere.  You are supergeil.

Sawx the womanizer :p.
Gov. pikachu
pikachu
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:31:15 pm »
Ignore

I don't see a reason to make any massive changes to our special election laws. However, I do think clause 3 should be passed because 4 weeks is a bit long for an appointment.
Sawx, King in the North
SawxDem
YaBB God
Zimbabwe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 09:00:56 pm »
Ignore

I wouldn't be opposed to a reduction in the appointment threshold either.

#FREELEBRON

Clyde1998
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 10:28:11 am »
Ignore

I didn't see the Assembly Special Elections Act 2014 - probably because I was searching for "by election" rather than "special election".

I propose this:

Section 1.
1. When a vacancy arises in the Assembly four two or more weeks before the date of expiry of the present term, the vacancy shall be filled by a special election.
2. The special election shall be held in the same manner and procedure as a regular election for the whole Assembly.
3. If the date of the vacancy is two days or less before a Friday, the election shall be held on the next weekend.
4. Upon the certification of the results by the appropriate election administrator, the elected candidate shall be eligible to assume their seat.
5. The governor may appoint a person to fill the vacated seat under the provisions outlined in Sections 2.2-2.3.  The term of the appointed representative shall expire on the swearing-in of the newly elected representative.

Section 2.
1. When a vacancy arises in the Assembly less than four two weeks before the date of expiry of the present term, the vacancy shall be filled by gubernatorial appointment seat shall remain vacant.
2. If the person who vacated the seat was a member of a federally recognized political party at the time of their election, the governor shall appoint a member of the same party to fill the vacancy.
2. If a seat is vacant, the Governor shall attain voting rights in the Assembly until the vacant seat is filled.
3. If the said party is no longer in operation, or has no registered members residing in the Northeast, Section 2.2 shall be non-applicable.

Section 3.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they come to fight you, and then you win.

Sawx, King in the North
SawxDem
YaBB God
Zimbabwe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 11:16:56 am »
Ignore

I'd rather retain appointment powers than gain voting privilege in these matters - considering the fact that I might have to make multiple appointments at once (which is a very real possibility considering the high turnover rates of the previous Assemblies), I'd either have a vote that's stronger than the elected representatives or the people would be down one representative.

I don't see why the vacancy filling system after two weeks should be changed.

#FREELEBRON

Clyde1998
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59:53 am »
Ignore

I'd rather retain appointment powers than gain voting privilege in these matters - considering the fact that I might have to make multiple appointments at once (which is a very real possibility considering the high turnover rates of the previous Assemblies), I'd either have a vote that's stronger than the elected representatives or the people would be down one representative.

I don't see why the vacancy filling system after two weeks should be changed.
I'll remove the governor voting power in my next amendment.

I, personally, don't think that anyone should be appointed to a role that is elected under normal circumstances. Which is why I'm proposing that special elections should take place two weeks before the close of the assembly term, rather than a month before. Especially considering that a term is only two months.

Dr. Cynic
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 12:33:37 pm »
Ignore

How many people are going to bother if they're just running to fill the two week term?

Clyde1998
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 01:06:24 pm »
Ignore

How many people are going to bother if they're just running to fill the two week term?
They may wish to run their campaign for the next term based on a few things that they've done. They might get a small incumbency bonus.

Sawx, King in the North
SawxDem
YaBB God
Zimbabwe

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »
Ignore

I'll remove the governor voting power in my next amendment.

I, personally, don't think that anyone should be appointed to a role that is elected under normal circumstances. Which is why I'm proposing that special elections should take place two weeks before the close of the assembly term, rather than a month before. Especially considering that a term is only two months.

I've already indicated that I support the reduction of the threshold to two weeks. That's not a problem. Leaving this seat vacant is my problem with this bill - it's unworkable and inefficient, so the appointment system must remain in place in order to get my signature.

#FREELEBRON

Rep. Altsomn Stmarken
JoMCaR
YaBB God
Peru

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 02:06:01 pm »
Ignore

I have doubts about the vacant seat issue. I should think about it well...

Check this Wink
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=187922.0

Democrats are Red
Republicans are Blue
Dear people of Atlas Forum
I truly love you Smiley
Sawx, King in the North
SawxDem
YaBB God
Zimbabwe

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »
Ignore

Yeah - Altsomn and I come from that time when there was a high turnover rate.

#FREELEBRON

Clyde1998
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 02:59:47 pm »
Ignore

I haven't experienced a high turnover. I fact, I think only one person has left the assembly during my two terms - and that was to take a Senate seat.

My new proposal is basically changing the threshold to two weeks and leaving the previous bill the same otherwise.

Section 1.

Section 2.
1. When a vacancy arises in the Assembly less than four two weeks before the date of expiry of the present term, the vacancy shall be filled by gubernatorial appointment.

Section 3.

Sawx, King in the North
SawxDem
YaBB God
Zimbabwe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 05:08:18 pm »
Ignore

Awesome.

I'm just saying - during my first term as Governor (and actually, Governor Talleyrand's second term), we had seven Assemblymen leave - all for various reasons.

#FREELEBRON

Gov. pikachu
pikachu
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 06:36:33 pm »
Ignore

I'm fine with the current version of the bill.
Rep. Altsomn Stmarken
JoMCaR
YaBB God
Peru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 01:05:44 am »
Ignore

Now we're talking Smiley I'll support this new version.

Check this Wink

Democrats are Red
Republicans are Blue
I truly love you Smiley
GM DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 04:30:26 pm »
Ignore

Time for debate is over.

48 hours vote on the amended bill.

Aye

Clyde1998
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 04:57:12 pm »
Ignore

Aye.

Rep. Altsomn Stmarken
JoMCaR
YaBB God
Peru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 11:21:45 pm »
Ignore

Aye

Check this Wink

Democrats are Red
Republicans are Blue
I truly love you Smiley
Gov. pikachu
pikachu
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 12:25:54 am »
Ignore

Aye
GM DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 03:13:07 pm »
Ignore

With 4 ayes, this bill passes and will be sent to the Governor.

Dr. Cynic
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »
Ignore

Aye, ftr.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: