DSM 5 may classify Marijuana as an addictive substance.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:54:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DSM 5 may classify Marijuana as an addictive substance.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DSM 5 may classify Marijuana as an addictive substance.  (Read 3826 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:28:17 AM »

This is what my father learned in a recent seminar.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »

That's stupid, because it isn't.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »

HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »

why? because you say so?
The suggesting that it be classified as Marijuana comes from research just to let you know.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »

why? because you say so?
The suggesting that it be classified as Marijuana comes from research just to let you know.

No, because it's a fact that for most people, cannabis is not addictive.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »

why? because you say so?

No, because it's a fact that for most people, cannabis is not addictive.

In my opinion I think a lot of individuals who support Marijuana often overstate the validity of their assertions. For example the other day someone posted an article that suggested that there is no link between Marijuana and psychosis. After reading this article I requested to see if it was peer reviewed or not, but i never got a response. Thus I had to do some research on my own, and apparently the psychosis/Marijuana link is more debatable than what was posted in this forum.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:34:15 AM »

I'll note the "may" in the title.  I'll also point out that 70% of the DSM-V members have "close ties" to the pharmaceutical industry.  cite
You must be logged in to read this quote.
if you can't think of at least two reasons why they would be afraid of legalized weed then you're not trying very hard.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 06:21:51 AM »

^^^^^

You're talking to HoffmanJohn and don't forget that.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 08:04:49 AM »

Weed is addictive? I've never had any withdrawal symptoms.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »

Weed, cigarettes and alcohol are all addictive.  They have chemicals that incline you to continue the behavior.  This is not even debatable.  Whether it should be legal is the question we should be asking ourselves. 

However, I would illegalize a drug called salvia.  This drug is known for inclining teenagers to commit suicide.  Its effects are like LSD or Heroin.  Teenagers buy it because they think it will give them the same effects as Marijuana, but the effects are far worse.  I had a friend who had to be sat for an hour by another friend because he wanted to jump out a third story window.  He was apparently yelling, "Please kill me, please kill me.  I want the pain to stop.  When will this end.  Please kill me."  I've heard this story told many times. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »

Weed, cigarettes and alcohol are all addictive.  They have chemicals that incline you to continue the behavior.  This is not even debatable.  Whether it should be legal is the question we should be asking ourselves. 

However, I would illegalize a drug called salvia.  This drug is known for inclining teenagers to commit suicide.  Its effects are like LSD or Heroin.  Teenagers buy it because they think it will give them the same effects as Marijuana, but the effects are far worse.  I had a friend who had to be sat for an hour by another friend because he wanted to jump out a third story window.  He was apparently yelling, "Please kill me, please kill me.  I want the pain to stop.  When will this end.  Please kill me."  I've heard this story told many times. 

"Why must it be, Why must it be?"
"It's the Law, the law" said he.
"And why should that be,
And why should that be?"

"Why can't we, Why can't we?"
"It's the Law, the law" said he
"And why shouldn't we,
And why shouldn't we?"

"But I want to see, I want to see"
"It's the Law, the law" said he
"But I want to be,
But I want to be"
"It's the Law, the Law" said he

"But I will be free, I will be free"
"It's the Law, the law" said her
"But I am totally free,
But I am totally free"
"It's the Law, the Law" said he

One can only imagine the things I would do if he wasn't around. Why I might trample on his flower bed. Or even scare off his cat. Or perhaps even draw some menacing graffiti on the side of his house. Good times, Mischeavous boy that I am.

But unfortunately he's always around. But then again he gives me so much good ideas. I must thank him one day... when he finally leaves.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:11:04 PM »

Good. Weed is addictive. (I am in favor of legalization, though, since I believe people have the right to be stupid and shorten their life expectancy if they want to.)
TheGreatOne

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 06:14:30 PM »

Good. Weed is addictive. (I am in favor of legalization, though, since I believe people have the right to be stupid and shorten their life expectancy if they want to.)
Why would I leave that up to a teenager?  I think anyone under 25 is stupid enough to reck their life with drugs and I don't feel like giving them that option.  Although, I'm not talking about marijuana.  I find the drug benign compared to alcohol and salvia. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 08:51:14 PM »

Who cares what they classify it as? Either way, marijuana should be fully legalized as quickly as possible.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 09:19:19 PM »

Who cares what they classify it as? Either way, marijuana should be fully legalized as quickly as possible.

Right on target with that one, Pit. It is no business of a government to say what plants I can and can't grow for an intended use that lacks violent motive.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 07:08:03 AM »

I'll note the "may" in the title.  I'll also point out that 70% of the DSM-V members have "close ties" to the pharmaceutical industry.  cite
if you can't think of at least two reasons why they would be afraid of legalized weed then you're not trying very hard.

hypothetically Bob Woodward may have been Biased against quakers, but at the end of the day people only cared about what Nixon did.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 07:10:24 AM »

wow so it looks like half of the people in this thread think that i am arguing against legalization. I am simply stating that Marijuana is most likely an addictive substance.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 07:45:15 AM »

hypothetically Bob Woodward may have been Biased against quakers, but at the end of the day people only cared about what Nixon did.
ahhhh, now I see why you think you never lose an argument. 

Enjoy your time here.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 07:54:06 AM »

ahhhh, now I see why you think you never lose an argument. 

Enjoy your time here.

Scapegoating Bias is pretty stupid,and usually avoids the crux of any claim.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 08:33:54 AM »

You're like a more wordy version of Rochembeau.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 09:00:35 AM »

Most of the people I know who habitually smoke marijuana are... pretty pathetic people. But you know, I'm pretty sure they'd be just as pathetic without the drug.

Anyway, I don't know why people are so terrified of weed. It's not dangerous, especially when enjoyed in moderation. Talking about it as being addictive is ridiculous and counter productive, especially when compared to drugs like crack and heroin that ARE dangerously addictive.

The reason why we'll never win the "war on drugs" is because those against drugs are typically so intellectually dishonest that kids will never believe a word y'all say. You do realize how many people just laugh the whole way through DARE, right?
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 11:07:31 AM »

Most of the people I know who habitually smoke marijuana are... pretty pathetic people. But you know, I'm pretty sure they'd be just as pathetic without the drug.

Anyway, I don't know why people are so terrified of weed. It's not dangerous, especially when enjoyed in moderation. Talking about it as being addictive is ridiculous and counter productive, especially when compared to drugs like crack and heroin that ARE dangerously addictive.

The reason why we'll never win the "war on drugs" is because those against drugs are typically so intellectually dishonest that kids will never believe a word y'all say. You do realize how many people just laugh the whole way through DARE, right?

I don't really care that is addictive.
platypeanArchcow

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -7.65

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 12:20:40 PM »

That is incredibly incoherent.  The pressure to make salvia illegal is largely based on the case of one teenager who wrote about salvia in his journal and several months later committed suicide.  LSD is nothing like heroin, and salvia is nothing like either.  Salvia trips only last about 15 minutes, and yes, the effects are unpredictable and it's wise to have a sober trip-sitter, but as far as we know the drug isn't dangerous physiologically or in terms of long-term psychological effects such as addiction.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »

wow so it looks like half of the people in this thread think that i am arguing against legalization. I am simply stating that Marijuana is most likely an addictive substance.

As a former heavy user, it's not addictive. I don't know how many more people have to tell you that.

About the DSM; the day I take it seriously, is the day I believe psychiatry is a science, which it's not. It also happens to be the day pigs fly in a frozen hell.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 01:37:51 PM »

As a former heavy user, it's not addictive. I don't know how many more people have to tell you that.

About the DSM; the day I take it seriously, is the day I believe psychiatry is a science, which it's not. It also happens to be the day pigs fly in a frozen hell.

appeal to self fallacy.
I have smoked and I think it can be addictive, but I wont use my self as evidence because statistical,double blind studies, and so forth are better.

Psychiatry is a Social Science but advances in the field over the past 40 years have made it more scientific.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies