Emergence of the "Tea Party" dismays evangelical leaders...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:39:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Emergence of the "Tea Party" dismays evangelical leaders...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Emergence of the "Tea Party" dismays evangelical leaders...  (Read 1246 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2010, 03:04:15 AM »

...who say whipping gullible, none-too-bright fanatics into a frenzy over non-existent problems is THEIR job. 
(stolen fark title)
link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:11:47 AM »

...who say whipping gullible, none-too-bright fanatics into a frenzy over non-existent problems is THEIR job. 

So cutting spending, balancing the budget, stopping tax hikes, protecting private property rights, maintaining freedom of speech, and making government more transparent, as well as fighting against abortion...these all address "non-existent problems" in your opinion?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:24:19 AM »

Two factions of duopolist hypocrites squaring off, huh? This should be interesting.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 03:34:43 AM »

Two factions of duopolist hypocrites squaring off, huh? This should be interesting.
And everybody else thinks people like me and you are EXACTLY like these people.  10 years ago I was embarrassed to be a Republican because of the same people, now they are making me embarrassed to be a "libertarian".
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 03:37:14 AM »

And everybody else thinks people like me and you are EXACTLY like these people.  10 years ago I was embarrassed to be a Republican because of the same people, now they are making me embarrassed to be a "libertarian".

Hello, are you going to explain what is "embarrassing" about taking on these issues?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 03:43:15 AM »

Doesn't the Constitution Party seem to be a place where the concerns of both groups coexist?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 03:49:34 AM »

Doesn't the Constitution Party seem to be a place where the concerns of both groups coexist?
In some ways. But it may too theocratic for some, and not fiscally conservative enough for others.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:53:27 AM »

One would think.  They are the "churchy" libertarians right?
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:02:48 AM »

The Constitution Party is full of Independent Fundamental Baptists(KJV Only, homeschoolers, pretty kooky), which are generally far beyond anything like Falwell or Graham, and even more crazy than Robertson.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:44:48 AM »

Good. I hope the libertarians take over the GOP.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »

utter selfish nonesense on the part of the Christian right. The tea party isn't monolithic. They also fail to realize that by forcing candidates to run on those issues only, they lead to our electoral ruin. Toomey won't get elected on abortion. He will get elected opposing the bailouts and National Health care.

They have got to become much less demanding.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:50:50 AM »

Good, the evangelical right deserves to be irrelevant Evil
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »

That's a good way of saying it. Though I think a better term (after hearing the term Christian Democrat) is Christian Libertarians (though they are non-interventionist while the Republican establishment attempt to hijack the Tea Party movement is clearly interventionist).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »

Wow dead0man isn't much of a fascist. Don't get why he likes South Park though.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »

(stolen fark title)
link

what a joke!!!  stop dreaming, there is no fight going on at the grass roots level between the tea-baggers and the social conservatives, because in many cases (but not all), they are the same group of people.  The talking heads of the social conservatives may not be getting as much attention, but that's all ego talking, for 99% of the power of social conservatives is held at the grass roots level, which consists of the way of life of parents who are leading their families in day-to-day matters as they serve Christ.  Our power comes from living and breathing the word, not from talking heads.  If the talking heads don't like sharing the spotlight, then they are blind with pride and fail to realize how replaceable they really are.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 12:08:08 PM »

jmfcst is right on this one.  Absolute nonsense article. 
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »

(stolen fark title)
link

what a joke!!!  stop dreaming, there is no fight going on at the grass roots level between the tea-baggers and the social conservatives, because in many cases (but not all), they are the same group of people.  The talking heads of the social conservatives may not be getting as much attention, but that's all ego talking, for 99% of the power of social conservatives is held at the grass roots level, which consists of the way of life of parents who are leading their families in day-to-day matters as they serve Christ.  Our power comes from living and breathing the word, not from talking heads.  If the talking heads don't like sharing the spotlight, then they are blind with pride and fail to realize how replaceable they really are.

The more social conservatives push moderates and libertarians aside, the more likely they will be pushed back.

It does not matter if it is only a certain percentage of social conservatives; the moderates and libertarians feel like they are going to have to walk the plank, and they really would rather try to take over the ship than let that happen. If this continues, there will be a fight.

At the same time, I can see much in the way of Democratic infighting as well.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2010, 02:20:38 PM by jmfcst »

economic and social conservatives, and even independents, don't have to see eye-to-eye on everything in order to unite against Obama's policies...it's only the establishment within the GOP who is threatened.  Reagan did the same to the GOP establishment in 1980, Obama did the same to the Dem establishment in 2008...but the real bloodletting was on the other side of the isle.

No one at the grass roots level cares about the political careers of the establishment, for they serve as only tools, but the grassroots are the machine.
Chaim
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »

Evangelicals leaders have become a joke they are some of the biggest neocon enablers. The Tea Party should dictch them and become more libertarian.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »

I know, it's really annoying. At the same time, I suppose that being associated with unsavory characters is something that troubles people of all affiliations & ideologies. It just so happens that the unsavory characters who associate with the libertarian movement are particularly loud right now.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »

I know, it's really annoying. At the same time, I suppose that being associated with unsavory characters is something that troubles people of all affiliations & ideologies. It just so happens that the unsavory characters who associate with the libertarian movement are particularly loud right now.

I know the tea party has a bad reputation, but most of the people involved seem like reasonable people. Generally, Republicans disillusioned with the Republican establishment.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »

I want to meet these tea baggers and see whats up.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »

I know the tea party has a bad reputation, but most of the people involved seem like reasonable people. Generally, Republicans disillusioned with the Republican establishment.

Not disillusioned enough to be freed from their belief that there is some difference between the two major parties.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »

Not disillusioned enough to be freed from their belief that there is some difference between the two major parties.

Really, how do you know how they feel about the party situation?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 02:48:16 AM »

Really, how do you know how they feel about the party situation?

I don't, of course. It's merely an inference by the popularity of figures such as Sarah Palin & Glenn Beck within the Tea Party movement. Granted not all tea partiers have positive opinions of such folks, but Vepres's post implied that the bulk of the tea partiers were genuinely disillusioned Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies