Wyoming challenges 10th Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:46:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Wyoming challenges 10th Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Wyoming challenges 10th Amendment  (Read 3572 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 02:57:35 PM »

Thomas jefferson supported progressive taxation you know.

Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence, and deem them like the ark of the Covenant, too sacred to be touched. They ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human, and suppose what they did to be beyond amendment... laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind... as that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, institutions must advance also, to keep pace with the times.... We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain forever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.
Thomas Jefferson (on reform of the Virginia Constitution)

I do not believe the Constitution is a "sacred document" above amendment.  The Constitution has a method by which it can, and should, be amended.  The problem is that it isn't, because whoever is in power knows it would be far easier to pull a justification out of the Commerce Clause or the Necessary and Proper Clause, than it would be to pass an amendment.  For example, do you think that a Constitutional amendment to provide for public health care would pass with a two-thirds majority in both houses, and then be ratified by three-fourths of the states?  Certainly not.  So instead, Congress passes a bill and says with a sneer, "Oh, Commerce Clause."

I am actually pretty ignorant of the constitution, but I understand the economic views of the founding fathers.

You can find plenty of information here, as well as here.

only the second link works, and I disagree with some of the things that the link says. For example they outright say that the income tax is unconstitutional. I disagree with this though because I think the income tax is constitutional because:
1)The Income tax was originally ruled unconstitutional in the 1890's, because it was considered a "direct tax". In reality though the income tax is now considered constitutional because it is a indirect tax, and does not rely on population.

2)Springer vs the united states ruled that income tax's are constitutional if they are indirect tax.

Thus the income tax has always remained constitutional unless it was ruled a direct tax. The sum of several supreme court rulings have shown that a direct tax on income was constitutional even before the 16th amendment. Thus how can the 16th Amendment be considered unconstitutional if it is backed by precedent where judges in these cases each used a strict interpretation?

Here.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 12:10:27 AM »

Who the hell cares what the poeple at the Philadelphia Convention thought?

Nullification was never used because the far better process of judicial review was created instead.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 01:41:03 AM »

Nullification was never used because the far better process of judicial review was created instead.

LOL.

Judicial review increases centralized tyranny, having the opposite effect of nullification.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »

I do beleive the intent here is to use Judicial Review. Pass a law and provoke a lawsuit to get it into the courts.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies