A Royal America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:50:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Royal America
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A Royal America  (Read 15006 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »

Great TL! Smiley

This is very good. Hopefully this will counterbalance the death of the American Monarchy.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »

Can someone please make a map of the 1795 election? I could do it myself, but I don't know how to get something made on Paint onto the Atlas.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2010, 05:51:29 PM by Vosem »

The 2nd Parliament

The year 1796 was a largely empty one, as the War in Europe raged on, little of note happened in the United States. Treaties were signed with Spanish colonial authorities and natives on boundaries between the United States and these nations, negotiated by Thomas Pinckney (Federalist-South Carolina) and New Jersey district attorney Abraham Ogden.

In June of 1796, the Territory South of the River Ohio was admitted as the state of Tennessee.

In November of that year, Minister of State John Jay was elected Governor of New York, replacing Pierre van Cortlandt. This resulted in a Cabinet shake-up, as Attorney General Edmund Randolph was promoted to Jay’s position, and the Attorney General job was given to promising freshman John Marshall (Federalist-Virginia).

Minister of State Edmund Randolph (Federalist-Virginia)

Attorney General John Marshall (Federalist-Virginia)

The next year, 1797, was similarly quiet. Perhaps the biggest scandal that year was the Blount Affair, in which Republican William Blount of Tennessee was convicted of attempting to aid Indian tribes in aiding the British to conquer Spanish West Florida. Blount was expelled from Parliament, but was soon after immediately elected to the Tennessee Legislature.

The same year, Mississippi Territory seceded from Georgia.

In 1798, the Alien and Sedition debate occurred. Under debate were the Naturalization Act, which extended the period necessary to live peacefully as a citizen in the United States to 14 years, with no expiration date; the Alien Friends Act, which authorized the King to deport any alien considered hostile to the United States (to expire in 1800); the Alien Enemies Act, which authorized the King to deport any alien who was a citizen of a country at war with the United States; and the Sedition Act, which made it a crime to publish “false, scandalous, malicious writing” against the U.S. government.

The two Alien Acts were both easily passed – however, the government ran into a stumbling block when the Naturalization Act was debated, as Jefferson opposed them. Immigrants formed a key base of Jefferson’s Republican Party. Nevertheless, the Naturalization Act was passed.

The Sedition Act, meanwhile, was viewed by Jefferson as violating both the Second and Eleventh Amendments to the United States Constitution; however, Jefferson feared bringing the case to the Supreme Court, which was dominated by Federalists, as the Court ruling the Act constitutional would add to its legitimacy. Parliament was ripped apart over the battle over the Sedition Act throughout the end of 1798 – even the state Legislatures of Kentucky and Virginia weighed in, denouncing the Act, while the Massachusetts legislature called for its approval. The Prime Minister himself, John Adams, offered tepid approval for the Sedition Act. James Madison (Federalist-Virginia) led opposition to the Sedition Act from within the party, while supporting them was Minister of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton. The two would become bitter enemies.

Ultimately, by a very narrow vote, Parliament voted 49-47 in favor of the Sedition Act, with 3 abstaining. The Act had failed to pass, as 50 votes were necessary for approval.

Then, in the early days of 1799, King George I died, age 66, at his Virginia home in Mount Vernon. His will, although leaving the decision of his successor to Parliament, recommended Minister of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton. The royal election of 1799 had begun.

The Federalists were unable to choose between the incumbent Prime Minister, John Adams, and Hamilton – therefore, both announced a run. Although the Republicans chose to abstain, ambitious New York M.P. Aaron Burr announced a run anyway.

1st Ballot:
John Adams 28
Alexander Hamilton 28
Aaron Burr 23

The next several ballots all showed similar results. Occasionally, some M.P. would write in Jefferson (trying to convince him to run), or Governor Jay, or Thomas Pinckney (compromises acceptable to both Adams and Hamilton).

Although it did not seriously affect the royal election, an event would occur between the 6th and 7th ballots which would greatly change future American politics. Burr denounced Jefferson as a ‘radical’, trying to paint himself as an advocate for ‘democracy’. The Republican Party was split in two. Of its 43 M.P.s, 23 formed the Democratic Party, with Burr as its leader, and 20 formed the Radical Party, under Thomas Jefferson.

Eleven ballots passed before Hamilton and Adams agreed to negotiate. The first choice was obvious – highly respected former Minister of State, incumbent Governor of New York John Jay.

Jay, who was looking forward to a pleasurable retirement from politics after the end of his term as Governor, declined.

The next choice for Hamilton and Adams would likely have been South Carolina M.P. Thomas Pinckney, but Attorney General John Marshall presented himself as a compromise choice. Liked by both the Prime Minister and the Minister of the Treasury, the two agreed. On the next ballot, Hamilton and Adams would defer to Marshall, who would easily defeat Aaron Burr.

The next day, Marshall was inaugurated King John I.

King John I of America

Nevertheless, it was not lost on Adams’ enemies that the Prime Minister had lost the royal election. Anticipating his government’s fall in a no-confidence vote (with Democrats, Radicals, and Hamiltonians aligned against him), Adams asked King John for an election. The King agreed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »

I had a map, but then my computer crashed. I'll try to make another one soon.
Historico
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 09:09:14 AM »

Interesting installment Vosem, Can't say that is saw a King John Marshall comming lol. Atleast it establishes the notion that the Monarchy is not an a inherited postion. But I do wonder if the establishment of the American Parlimament and Monarchy, has solidified a true "Royal Family". Let's just say if one of the European Princes wanted to marry a child of the the Current King of America...Would that child be considred a Princess? or are they just considered honary titles?
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »

This is great.  One of the most interesting things I have ever read.  Really good.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2010, 01:24:59 PM by Vosem »

The Election of 1799

The election of 1799 was the first ever election held in the United States with more than two parties. Three parties – the Federalists, the Democrats, and the Radicals – contested the election.

The 1799 race is perhaps more famous for the first ever true leadership contest ever held in America, as the Federalist caucus met in Columbia to decide if they would be led by Prime Minister John Adams or Minister of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton. Adams very narrowly defeated Hamilton, 29-26, with 1 abstaining.

The Democrats and Radicals did not hold similar contests, as it was universally recognized that they were led by Aaron Burr and Thomas Jefferson, respectively.

Had the old Republican Party held, it is likely Adams would have been defeated in the 1799 election – after 10 years in power, the voters were tiring of him and his government. However, the vote splitting which resulted from the breakup gave Federalists victories in several marginal districts, and Adams was elected to a third term.

Federalist (John Adams): 53
Democratic (Aaron Burr): 25
Radical (Thomas Jefferson): 21

Of the Federalist 1795 states, all voted Federalist again but Maryland and Vermont, which flipped to the Democrats. Of 1795 Republican states, Pennsylvania and South Carolina voted Democratic, while the remainder voted Radical.

Soon after the election, John Marshall made his first Supreme Court appointments, as James Wilson and James Iredell retired almost simultaneously. Marshall nominated Bushrod Washington, the little-known nephew of King George I, to Wilson’s Supreme Court seat, and also-little-known member of the North Carolina State Supreme Court, Alfred Moore to the seat of Iredell.

Associate Justice Bushrod Washington

Associate Justice Alfred Moore
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 03:41:46 PM »

Can someone please, please create maps for the 1795 and 1799 elections? Please?

Comments would be appreciated, too, of course.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 12:32:05 PM »

I can help out when I get home, just PM me the results of a few and I'll make 'em. Smiley
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 06:33:05 PM »

Really Good TL, One question though. Is the Monarchy eventually going to go hereditary? Or will it stay elected?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »

The 3rd Parliament

Upon the narrow reelection of Prime Minister John Adams’ government to a third term in 1799, Adams decided to have his government undergo a Cabinet shakeup.

Perhaps most obviously, the position of Leader of the Opposition had been held by Thomas Jefferson for 10 years by the 1799 election. With his party slipping into third place, Aaron Burr (as the leader of the second-largest Cabinet party) led the Opposition.

Leader of the Opposition Aaron Burr (Democratic-New York)

The position of Minister of State was vacant, as incumbent Edmund Randolph had chosen to leave Parliament. In his later years, Randolph became a good friend, and political ally, of Aaron Burr, though he never reentered Parliament.

Randolph’s replacement was James Madison. Although some criticized Adams for nominating someone who had never served in Cabinet to the second highest office in the land, Madison was nevertheless a well-known figure: one of the authors of the final, compromise version of the Constitution, one of the authors of the Bill of Rights, and the man who had led opposition to the Sedition Act from within the Federalist Party.

At the time of his nomination, Madison was undergoing a feud with Alexander Hamilton, and some have argued that this feud was the reason Madison was nominated Minister in the first place. Although some staunch Hamiltonians voted against Madison’s confirmation, Madison’s friendship with Thomas Jefferson resulted in Jefferson’s convincing several Radicals to back Madison. In the end, Madison was confirmed.

Minister of State James Madison (Federalist-Virginia)

Adams’ Attorney General, John Marshall, had been elected King. Adams nominated Charles Lee, an M.P. from Virginia elected in the 1795 election that was widely considered one of the nation’s best attorneys. There was little opposition to Lee’s nomination from any part of Parliament.

Attorney General Charles Lee (Federalist-Virginia)

The incumbent Minister of the Treasury was Alexander Hamilton, a man who Adams now rather disliked. However, Adams could not afford to upset the Hamiltonians too badly, as his majority depended on them. Adams, who had been ready to clench his teeth and re-nominate Hamilton, was suddenly faced with a pleasant surprise, as Hamilton tendered his resignation. Adams nominated Oliver Wolcott, Jr. – M.P. from Connecticut since 1795, and one of Adams’ key economic advisors for longer – Minister of the Treasury. Wolcott was confirmed without much difficulty.

Minister of the Treasury Oliver Wolcott, Jr. (Federalist-Connecticut)

Adams’ Minister of War, Timothy Pickering, was a Hamiltonian – however, Adams decided to keep Pickering, who was re-nominated and confirmed easily. The Minister of the Navy, Benjamin Stoddert, who was not a Hamiltonian, faced an even smoother ride.

Adams also re-nominated his Postmaster General, Joseph Habersham, whose re-nomination faced little difficulty.

The Third Adams Government –
Prime Minister: The Rt. Hon.1 John Adams (Federalist-Massachusetts)
Minister of State: James Madison (Federalist-Virginia)
Attorney General: Charles Lee (Federalist-Virginia)
Minister of the Treasury: Oliver Wolcott, Jr. (Federalist-Connecticut)
Minister of War: Timothy Pickering (Federalist-Massachusetts)
Minister of the Navy: Benjamin Stoddert (Federalist-Maryland)
Postmaster General: Joseph Habersham (Federalist-Georgia)

The 3rd Parliament was, like the second, a seemingly quiet, almost do-nothing Parliament, but one which hid the tensions between the parliamentary groups. The informed observer might have likened this period to a mine before its explosion – calm, you may not even notice it – but about to go off.

In the early 1800s, the Library of Parliament was established. The Library of Parliament, intended for the use of, well, Parliament, quickly became one of, and eventually the, largest libraries in the United States.

Some debating occurred during the 3rd Parliament about the status of the capital city of Columbia. The District of Columbia Organic Act of 1801, which made the city independent from any state, without any representation in Parliament, was viewed a suitable solution to the problem. The act ensured that the state of Maryland would not house the nation’s capital (this was viewed as giving it a ‘leg up’ against other states). To a modern reader, the act of not giving Columbia any Parliamentary representation may seem odd, but at the time it was viewed like giving Parliament its own vote in Parliament.

In 1801, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Oliver Ellsworth, aging rapidly, decided to retire from the Court. As expected, King John nominated Attorney General Charles Lee to the Supreme Court. Parliament confirmed Lee with little debate.

Chief Justice Charles Lee

The vacancy in the position of Attorney General resulted in another Cabinet reshuffle, as Adams promoted Postmaster General Joseph Habersham to the position of Attorney General; demoted Minister of War Timothy Pickering to the position of Postmaster General; and appointed Samuel Dexter, a Federalist M.P. from Massachusetts, Minister of War. Dexter had been elected in a 1793 by-election.

Attorney General Joseph Habersham (Federalist-Georgia)

Postmaster General Timothy Pickering (Federalist-Massachusetts)

Minister of War Samuel Dexter (Federalist-Massachusetts)

Meanwhile, some areas of the western frontier were reaching statehood – in particular the very western portion of Indiana Territory, which styled itself ‘Ohio’. The Enabling Act of 1802 created a procedure for turning U.S. territories into U.S. states; summarized, it said that the U.S. government would create a territorial government, which must then be propped up by voters; only an elected territorial government could petition for statehood (which, as outlined by the Constitution, must then be accepted by Parliament). Soon afterward, the Indiana territorial legislature petitioned for a large section of itself to be admitted as the U.S. state of Ohio. Ohio was admitted to the Union in late 1802.

Then, in 1803, the mine known as the 3rd Parliament exploded.

1In the late twentieth century, it became standard to add the title ‘Rt. Hon.’ to those nominated for King. This also applied retroactively.   

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »

The next update may not come for a while, as it involves TTL's version of Marbury v. Madison, TTL's version of the election of 1800, and TTL's version of the Twelfth Amendment all bound up in one huge constitutional crisis. May take a while to write, if you get my drift.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »

Every good, keep it up!
Historico
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »

So now what are the major differences between the Radical and Republican Parties now? Are the Radicals much more of an political personality cult for Jefferson or do also have more extreme policy views? Did my question on the classification of relatives of the King being considered Noblity(Like Sons called Prince) or is just a title?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 01:36:12 AM »

Sorry about not having the maps.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »

Sorry, Vosem, I'll get you the maps soon.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »

So now what are the major differences between the Radical and Republican Parties now? Are the Radicals much more of an political personality cult for Jefferson or do also have more extreme policy views? Did my question on the classification of relatives of the King being considered Noblity(Like Sons called Prince) or is just a title?

The Radicals are basically an extension of the old Republicans, just with a different name. The Democrats are under the strict rule of Aaron Burr.

There is no American nobility. The wife of the King is known as the Queen Consort (and in the unlikely event a Queen would be elected, her husband would be a King Consort).

Sorry, Vosem, I'll get you the maps soon.

Please, Sir, can I have some maps?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 06:59:18 PM »

So as to provoke some maps, I'm going to summarize the TL up to this point.

Kings:

1. George I Washington (de jure Independent, de facto Federalist, 1789 - 1799)
2. John I Marshall (Federalist, 1799 - current)

Prime Ministers:

1. John Adams (Federalist, 1789 - current)

Ministers of State:

1. John Jay (Federalist, 1789 - 1796)
2. Edmund Randolph (Federalist, 1796 - 1799)
3. James Madison (Federalist, 1799 - current)

Attorneys General:

1. Edmund Randolph (Federalist, 1789 - 1796)
2. John Marshall (Federalist, 1796 - 1799)
3. Charles Lee (Federalist, 1799 - 1801)
4. Joseph Habersham (Federalist, 1801 - current)

Ministers of the Treasury:

1. Alexander Hamilton (Federalist, 1789 - 1799)
2. Oliver Wolcott, Jr. (Federalist, 1799 - current)

Ministers of War:

1. Timothy Pickering (Federalist, 1789 - 1801)
2. Samuel Dexter (Federalist, 1801 - current)

Ministers of the Navy:

1. Benjamin Stoddert (Federalist, 1789 - current)

Postmasters General:

1. Samuel Osgood (Federalist, 1792 - 1795)
2. Joseph Habersham (Federalist, 1795 - 1801)
3. Timothy Pickering (Federalist, 1801 - current)

I won't post the next update till I get my maps. Please, NiK/Xahar.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »

Holding your TL hostage...excellent strategy! Grin

Come on, NiK/Xahar, I want to see Vosem's next update!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »

I would like to thank NiK for providing the maps (though Tennessee should be on the 1799 one).

Update coming forthwith.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »

The Causes and Aftermath of the Election of 1803

After his leaving Cabinet in 1799, the Right Honorable Alexander Hamilton returned to the backbenches. Nevertheless, Hamilton had used four years wisely, spending them accumulating support against the aging Prime Minister. In 1803, Hamilton was confident enough of victory to declare a leadership challenge. All Federalist Members of Parliament, Royal Councilmen, Governors, and other notables gathered at Hartford, where the 52 Federalist M.P.s (one had been unable to attend) would vote on the party leadership.

A local newspaper, the Hartford Courant, then came up with something which, in modern times, permeates the political world, but which didn’t gain popularity until the mid-20th century, and was practically unheard of during most of the 19th: a public poll. The Courant asked every single Federalist M.P. who they were planning to support. The Courant’s results seemed to spell doom for the Prime Minister, as they showed Hamilton leading him by an overwhelming margin of 34-18. Adams needed a miracle. He got one.

The King was an avowed Federalist, and soon arrived at the Convention. Just before voting was about to begin – Adams had by now practically given up – the King endorsed Adams for the position. The King (thought to be a neutral in the Adams-Hamilton conflict) had picked his side. Adams saw a literally last-minute surge in support. Finally, every M.P. had cast their vote, and the results were counted. Adams and Hamilton had tied, 26-26.

Quickly, the Convention descended into all-out chaos as the Hamiltonians (who were given the name Nationalists, after the Baltimore Nationalist, a prominent Hamiltonian newspaper) and the Adamsites (who became ‘Royalists’, as they had Royal support) both declared their candidate the winner. Shouting soon began, and one pair of M.P.s even began a brawl right on the floor. Nevertheless, the major players – Adams, Hamilton, the King – maintained quiet integrity.

Later that day, Adams, the King, Hamilton, and Hamilton’s son Phillip (his protégé) met in the home of former Supreme Court Chief Justice Oliver Ellsworth, a legitimate neutral. However, while the two were calm, both men accused each other of incompetence, of election rigging, of infidelity, and of a dozen other things. The next day, the Federalist Party formally split into two blocs – the Royalists, under Prime Minister Rt. Hon. John Adams, and the Nationalists, under former Minister of the Treasury Rt. Hon. Alexander Hamilton. With a no-confidence vote Adams was sure to lose approaching, Adams asked the King to call an election. The King agreed, and did so.

From the start, it seemed unlikely that the election would produce a majority – or anything like it – for any major party. From the view of the major parties, they waited to see who would win which amount of the 128 seats (the total had been increased after the Census of 1800) before beginning the negotiations which would hopefully lead to a government. Finally, the votes were counted.

Nationalist (Alexander Hamilton) 41
Democratic (Aaron Burr) 36
Royalist (John Adams) 30
Radical (Thomas Jefferson) 21

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 01:46:32 PM »

As expected, no party had a majority. However, alarmingly for the other three, with all members of the Royal Council having stated their party status, the Nationalists had a small, 1-vote advantage.

Back in the House of Commons, negotiations began to form a government. The first group to form an alliance may also have been among the least likely pairings, as the Royalists and Radicals formed an alliance, with George Clinton as their candidate for Prime Minister. It is believed that James Madison was their first choice, but, holding out an unlikely hope that the Nationalists would, perhaps, join the Coalition, George Clinton was confirmed as the Coalition’s candidate for Prime Minister (while Adams and Jefferson remained Leaders of its separate parts).

Coalition (George Clinton) 51
Democratic (Aaron Burr) 36

An uneasy stalemate ensued, with both the Coalition and the Nationalists attempting to convince Aaron Burr to join them. Finally, Burr offered a deal to the Coalition: I’ll be Prime Minister, all members of Cabinet will be Radicals and Royalists.

In retrospect, nobody can be quite sure what Philip Hamilton was thinking during his response to Burr. It must have been quite obvious that the Coalition (especially with a man like Jefferson, who detested Burr, as one of its leaders) would refuse Burr’s offer. But something gave the young Hamilton the impression that it would accept. Hamilton stood up and gave a long rant in reply, largely concerning what a dishonest villain Burr was, and how the people had elected his father’s party the most seats because they wanted him to be Prime Minister, and how Burr was undermining democracy. Finally, Hamilton challenged Burr to a duel. Throughout the speech, Burr remained on the podium, while Hamilton was simply standing up next to his seat.

The House waited for Burr’s scathing reply. However, Burr calmly, quietly accepted the offer to duel, left the podium, and returned to his seat.

The next day, after some deliberation, the Coalition refused Burr’s offer. Finally, after two more weeks of stalemate, the Coalition offered Burr a deal: he would get one Cabinet position other than Prime Minister, of his choosing, and the remainder of the seats in Cabinet would be filled by Royalists and Radicals. Burr would support the government throughout the entire seven-year term.

Burr agreed, chose the position of Minister of State, and ordered his party to vote Clinton for Prime Minister on the next ballot.

Coalition (George Clinton) 87

Meanwhile, the Royal Council was majority Nationalist, and the Constitution claimed that the Royal Council (like the King) could veto the actions of the House of Commons. In a party-line vote, the Royal Council vetoed the appointment of George Clinton Prime Minister.

Excerpt from the Constitution of the United States:
‘the Prime Minister and others of the King’s Ministers shall be selected by the House of Commons’

Excerpt from the Constitution of the United States:
‘the Royal Council will have the Power to veto any Act of the House of Commons’

James Madison brought the case before the Supreme Court, claiming that according to the above passage from the Constitution, the House of Commons, and only the House of Commons, had the right to select Ministers. The Nationalists were represented by the owner of the Baltimore Nationalist, a little-known but talented attorney named William Marbury.

Marbury v. Madison constitutes a major leap in the power of the Supreme Court, as, for the first time in its history, it declared something unconstitutional, claiming that the responsibility for selecting Ministers lay with the House of Commons, and that the Constitution barred the Royal Council from interfering. Lee, Washington, and Moore (Marshall’s nominees) ruled in favor of Madison, while Cushing, Paterson, and Chase (Washington’s nominees), ruled in favor of Marbury. As Chief Justice, Lee held the tiebreaking vote, and Madison won.

The next day, the House of Commons selected its Ministers. George Clinton (Radical-New York) was inaugurated Prime Minister; sticking to his deal with the Democrats, Aaron Burr (Democratic-New York) became Minister of State; current Minister of State James Madison was demoted to Minister of War (Royalist-Virginia); Radical party leader Thomas Jefferson became Attorney General (Radical-Virginia); M.P. Albert Gallatin (Royalist-Pennsylvania) to Minister of the Treasury; Charles Pinckney (Royalist-South Carolina) was nominated Postmaster General on the advice of his more popular, better-known younger brother Thomas; and William Jones (Radical-Pennsylvania), who had been a veteran of the American Revolutionary War at sea for Minister of the Navy.

Prime Minister of the United States George Clinton (Radical-New York)

Minister of State Aaron Burr (Democratic-New York)

Minister of War James Madison (Royalist-Virginia)

Attorney General Thomas Jefferson (Radical-Virginia)

Minister of the Treasury Albert Gallatin (Royalist-Pennsylvania)

Postmaster General Charles Cotesworth Pinckney (Royalist-South Carolina

Minister of the Navy William Jones (Radical-Pennsylvania)

Obviously, Alexander Hamilton became Leader of the Opposition.

Leader of the Opposition Alexander Hamilton (Nationalist-New York)

There were three final ramifications of the election which had not yet occurred…

After the government was sworn in, James Monroe (who had not, in spite of his high visibility, received a Cabinet position) introduced the Fourteenth Amendment, which, by its own phrasing, would ‘abolish the Royal Council and transfer all its powers to the House of Commons.’ This idea was derided by Nationalists (and some Royalists) as petty tyranny; however, its support among the people slowly increased, and finally, the Coalition supported the Amendment unanimously, 87-41. It was given to the state legislatures, where it quickly achieved enough support to pass. The Royal Council had been abolished.

John Adams, seeing that Hamilton had not become Prime Minister, resigned looking forward to a pleasurable retirement. The Royalist party underwent the first ever real open leadership contest, but most potential candidates excused themselves – the younger Adams was advised by the elder to run later; John Jay claimed that if he hadn’t accepted the Kingship, he wasn’t accepting this; John Eagar Howard, whose run no one had been anticipating in the slightest, declined. Finally, the pieces seemed set for an epic contest between Minister of War James Madison and prominent, popular South Carolinian Thomas Pinckney; however, Pinckney unexpectedly decided not to run in favor of his elder brother, Postmaster General Charles “C.C.” Pinckney. Madison defeated the elder Pinckney without much trouble.

Finally, in the last ramification, in mid-autumn 1803, Aaron Burr and Philip Hamilton met at the Heights of Weehawken to duel. Hamilton was younger, and quicker, and fired first; however, Hamilton just missed Burr. Burr was older, and perhaps not a very good shot, but his aim that morning was true, and he hit Hamilton in the chest. Hamilton was taken to the home of a local doctor, David Hosack, who attempted to treat Hamilton. Hamilton had reportedly told Hosack that he was mortally wounded; based on other accounts of Hamilton, it is possible he had been manic-delusional even before the duel. It is not known what methods Hosack used to treat Hamilton; it is possible that these methods may have been Hamilton’s true killers. In any case, Hamilton died in Weehawken, New Jersey, a little more than a day later.

With that, the election of 1803 had come to an end.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 01:51:35 PM »

State-by-state Results of the Election of 1803:

Connecticut – Nationalist
Delaware – Royalist
Georgia – Radical
Kentucky – Radical
Maryland – Democratic
Massachusetts – Nationalist
New Hampshire – Nationalist
New Jersey – Royalist
New York – Nationalist
North Carolina – Radical
Ohio – Democratic
Pennsylvania – Democratic
Rhode Island – Nationalist
South Carolina – Democratic
Tennessee – Radical
Vermont – Royalist
Virginia – Radical
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 08:41:57 AM »

Could someone make a map for the 1803 election? And fix the 1799 one (which is good, but Tennessee is its own state).
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

Does this mean you're going to be updating this? I hope so!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies