1976: A New America- Gameply Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:38:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: A New America- Gameply Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: 1976: A New America- Gameply Thread  (Read 28959 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »

We have breaking news from all over the state....

Hello, it's great to be visiting the great people of Iowa! Tomorrow, you all will cast an important vote, a vote that could change the history of America. Today, I ask you all, to stand with me, and vote George Wallace for the Democratic nomination! It's time to elect someone who will serve us, not themselves! Thank you all, and vote Wallace!
- Harold Hughes, former Governor and Senator of Iowa

This is our state, and it is great that we get to be this first state to hold a caucus or primary in the nomination process. It's with great pleasure, that both myself, and our other Senator, Richard Clark, announce our endorsement for George Wallace! A great man, and he will be a great President! Vote Wallace!
- Senator John Culver of Iowa

And in just a few short hours, Governor Wallace has picked up the endorsement of a recent Governor and Senator, as well as both sitting Senators. When asked what he thought about it, here were Wallace's remarks...

It certainly is pleasing to see more people join our campaign. I honestly believe we can win Iowa, we can win the Democratic nomination, and we can win the Presidency.- Governor George Wallace
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2010, 04:29:50 PM »

Governor Jerry Brown drops out and endorses George Wallace.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »

1976 Iowa cacusus:

Democrats:

Wallace 40%
Kennedy- 38%
Carter-22%
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »

Republican Iowa:

Reagan-40%
Richardson-35%
Ford-25%
Stassen-5%
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »

Democratic delegates:

Wallace-20
Kennedy-20
Carter-0

Republican delegates-

Reagan-20
Richardson-16
Ford-0
Stassen-0
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2010, 07:31:32 PM »

Governor George Wallace addresses a crowd in Ceder Rapids, Iowa...

Thank you! Thank you Iowa! We have done it! The votes have been cast, and we are victorious. We knew we faced an uphill battle. I want to give a very special thanks to Governor Jerry Brown. He is a man of character and integrity, and I thank him for his endorsement. I also want to give thanks to both of your current Senators, and your former Governor and Senator, Mr. Harold Hughes! I also want to think all of my supporters in Iowa, and across this great nation! Let's move on from here and sweep the nation. We can do it, and we will do it! Thank you, and God Bless all of you!
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »

Elliot Richardson could not believe it.  They had come in second in Iowa.  Sure, they had lost by 5 points but they had been in third almost the entire time.  Nobody understood why Ford had collapsed, but it could be a boost for the Richardson campaign.  He thanked Governor Ray and Congressman Leach.

The next day he boarded a plane for Hawaii where he would spend the entire week campaigning with Senator Fong.

The message being sent out by the Richardson campaign to every Republican party leader was the same: Ford could not win, and Reagan was just a Hollywood version of Goldwater.  Richardson believed he was now the moderate alternative to Reagan.

He would campaign in Hawaii until the caucuses.  He would then campaign for two days each in Minnesota and Wyoming before heading to New Hampshire.  The plan was to stay there until the primary.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2010, 10:16:53 PM »

Reagan thanked supporters for their efforts,

Tonight we changed history. Tonight we showed that nobody guides are futures and destinies. We are a free people and will choose our own government. Together we can lead the world. United in the battle for freedom in liberty we will succeed. Tonight we have renewed the promise to America, created from our founding fathers. Tonight we have lived the American dream and I thank you for your support and efforts. God bless America

Reagan then travels to Hawaii for a week of town halls before focussing on the state of New Hampshire with events, rallies, town halls and TV and radio ads.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2010, 10:39:23 PM »

Upcoming Primaries:

January 24: Mississippi Democratic caucuses
January 27: Hawaii Republican caucuses

justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2010, 02:13:08 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2010, 02:27:40 AM by Senator Ted Kennedy »

Harold Hughes already endorsed Kennedy.  If Hughes won Wallace more than 2% of the vote (he likely did), I want the election redone.

Are you even approving these endorsements?
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2010, 09:30:59 AM »

Gerald Ford travels to Hawaii and Alaska to talk about his future plan for America.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »

Reagan campaigns in Mississippi to talk about his plan for the economy.

When we cut taxes, we spur economic growth and save the liberties promised by the founding fathers when we keep government out of our lives. The American people know better then the government, they always have, you know how to spend your money better then the federal government and that's the way it should be.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2010, 10:58:16 AM »

Announcer: This is an NBC News Special report. here is David Brinkley.

Brinkley: Good Afternoon. The Democratic Iowa caucus will be recounted.  Senator Ted Kennedy requested one, and it is US law if the margin of Victory is less than 5% that the person in second place shall demand a re-count. The recount will start sometime today or tomorrow. We will be back with more news when it happens. Have a Good Afternoon.

Announcer: This has been an NBC News Special report.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #163 on: April 02, 2010, 07:54:12 PM »

Statement from Governor Wallace
We are not particulary suprised a recount is being held. However, we do believe we will hold our lead, as it's pretty difficult for anyone to make up 2% without something fishy going on. We look foward to competing in the upcoming Mississippi caucus, and are hoping for a victory!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2010, 10:24:32 PM »

While waiting for recount results in Iowa, Governor Wallace campaigns hard in Mississippi, where the recent map has shown him leading.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »

Senator Kennedy's campaign is awaiting the results of the election recount in Iowa.  Meanwhile, he largely ignores Mississippi, instead moving on to campaign along the Rust Belt, in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

Senator Birch Bayh campaigns for Kennedy in Indiana.  Senator Robert Byrd campaigns throughout Virginia, West Virginia, and the Rust Belt, after making a quick run through the Deep South.  Governor Mike Dukakis campaigns in Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire.  Representative Mo Udall begins a sweep of the Rocky Mountain states, while Senator Joe Biden makes a run throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Overall, Kennedy's endorsers mostly criticize Governor George Wallace.  Senator Ted Kennedy does not criticize his opponents, instead focusing on issues such as Welfare Reform, Universal Health Insurance, and strong leadership.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »

Brinkly: It now looks that the Recount will be delayed until February 1st. This is a major setback to both democrats.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2010, 08:22:37 PM »

Iowa Recount- Wallace 50%
                        Kennedy-40%
                        Carter-10%

Mississippi- Wallace 70%
                Kennedy- 25%
                Carter-5%

Hawaii- Richardson-40%
             Ford-35%
             Reagan-25%
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2010, 08:29:40 PM »

Green-Wallace
Red-Kennedy
Blue-Carter
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2010, 08:32:15 PM »

Blues-Reagan
Green-Richardson
Red-Ford
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #170 on: April 05, 2010, 08:34:43 PM »

February 4 : Maine Democratic caucuses
February 4: Wyoming Republican caucuses
February 7: Oklahoma Democratic caucuses
February 10: Alaska Democratic caucuses
February 24: Minnesota caucuses (both parties), New Hampshire primary
February 28: South Carolina Democratic caucuses
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #171 on: April 05, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »

Reagan spends a week campaigning across Wyoming. Reagan holds town halls and has launched radio ads around the state.

When asked if Reagan thought he would win Wyoming he replied, "I am confident my smaller government, less taxes, more freedom vision that resemblies Wyoming will play well. I hope and will work to earn the votes of the people of Wyoming. I worked hard as Governor of California to lead that state and I will do so here in Wyoming. And after we win Wyoming, I think it will be clear that we are going to do well on the road to the nomination."

Reagan then made a tour of Minnesota and wrapped up the campaign in New Hampshire. Because of Reagan's personal focus on New Hampshire and Wyoming, he has left staff to run the Minnesota caucus and launched multiple radio and television ads there.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #172 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »

Governor George Wallace spends a day campaigning in Maine, hoping to pick up a few delegates. After that, he travels to Oklahoma, where he campaigns with his wife. He then flies out to Alaska, where Alaska Senator Mike Gravel campaigns for him.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #173 on: April 05, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »

At his victory rally, Richardson thanked Senator Fong and former Governor Quinn.  Richardson continued to campaign for reformed government, unveiling continued plans to streamline government.  Richardson would fly to Wyoming to campaign for two days and then onto New Hampshire to continue campaiging in New Hampshire.

The Richardson camp believed Ford to be mortally wounded.  Reagan would win in Wyoming.  Richardson wanted to pick up enough votes there to deny Ford any delegates.  Richardson believed that constant campaiging in New Hampshire with the popular Henry Cabot Lodge would be enough to keep his lead and deal Ford 5 consecutive losses and drive him out of the race.

Then, it would be between Reagan and Richardson.  Moderates would flock to him to avoid a repeat of 1964.  With Ford out of the way, the Northeast, Midwest, and West would go for Richardson.  That might be enough.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #174 on: April 06, 2010, 07:53:47 PM »

Maine Democratic: Kennedy 60%
                             Wallace-35%
                             Carter-25%

Wyoming Republican: Reagan-60%
                                   Ford-25%
                                   Richardson-25%