1976: A New America- Gameply Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:33:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: A New America- Gameply Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976: A New America- Gameply Thread  (Read 29175 times)
Lahbas
United States

« on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »

".........I am here today to announce that I am a candidate for the Presidency of the United States. Today.......we face corruption.....and treason......in ALL the levels of the government. Tricky Dick should have faced trial for the crimes that he committed......against me.......against you......and against the American people! I promise........as your President.......to bring a new era of leadership........one in which the President is consulted by the American people....not by politicans that have been bought out by the elite........"

(When Stassen first begins speaking upon the box in the street corner, he is largely ignored by those walking to and fro, conducting their daily business. However, by the time he has concluded, he has drawn a small crowd of supporters.)
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 08:56:43 PM »

Stassen had been stunned by his relatively large position in the polls (in past elections since 1948 he hadn't even made it past 1) and has decided to make an extensive tour of the American Midwest, where much of his support seems to have originated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The America that we know today is at a crossroads..........a fork the divides between that of corruption......and inefficiency........and the other that of freedom.......prosperity.......and small government. When we elected that treasonous man known as Tricky Dick to the White House as a Republican.......he became more of a Democrat than we ever knew. He tried to take hold of the free market.......and influence its course through fixed price and wage rates. We can see how well that plan has turned out.......as Americans now continue to lose jobs.....and our economy weakens. Vietnam has since become a disaster......and the South and poised to fall to the Communist North.......something that thousands of young Americans have fought an died to prevent from ever occurring. In the last couple years......we have found that we cannot even trust our Vice President......or even our own President......one whom we all used to trust......from being immune to the forces of corruption......from not secretly spreading lies and dist.........from not threatening the integrity of a Constitution that has stood against the tests of time. As your President........I promise to uphold the American Constitution..........to rake out the muck and corruption within Washington........and bring a new era of government by the people......for the people......."

- Excerpt of a speech by Harold Stassen in Chicago, Illinois
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »

"........I promise.......as your President.........to pardon all those who did not wish to be drafted into the military during the course of the Vietnam War.........and will move for the draft to be removed in its entirety........in favor of a military that is entirely voluntary........and provides incentives for those to join.......such as tax cuts......free higher education......among other federal benefits......."

- Harold Stassen in a Speech outside of St. Louis, Missouri

".......too old to be President? My dear sir.......no man is too old to be President of the United States. No.......what matters is if he will uphold the promises upon which he has been elected.........and that he has the ability to carry out those promises. I can tell you that I will do both to the best of my ability. And no.......I am not going to keel over while I am in the Oval Office.......though I promise to limit myself to a single term as your President. To prove my fitness......I challenge you.....sir......to a boxing match......right now......"

- Harold Stassen in Lansing, Michigan (Stassen would lose the match, but surprisingly held up quite well on his own.)
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 07:46:07 PM »

While campaigning in Oregon, Elliot Richardson agrees with Governor Stassen that the draft needed to be repealed.  He points out that that is why it was repealed in 1972. 
Stassen points out that there is a movement within the goverment to reinstate parts of the draft, and that this is where he made his point. He would oppose all efforts to reimplement any part of the draft for whatever reason if he became President. Stassen further points out that the draft was repealed in nineteen seventy three, not nineteen seventy two.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »

Harold Stassen decides to make a tour of the American West, but also concentrates on the Pacific Coast. He also once again makes use of Town Hall meetings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"........Roe v Wade? Well..........to be honest........it was outside of the jurisdiction of the courts. I look at the Constitution........and I cannot see any such right to privacy being protected by it. Therefore.......I believe that the issue should be left to the American people.......not to the federal government.......but to the states..........."

- Harold Stassen in Response to a Question on Roe v Wade

".........the Panama Canal belongs to the United States in its entirety........and till the end of time. American citizens paid for its construction........American boys died building it.......and now there are American citizens guarding it. Yes.......the soil USED to be Panamanian. As a result.......we should negotiate a proper settlement with their government. No.......we should....nor under my administration would we ever........consider handing over the canal."

- Harold Stassen in Response to a Question on the Panama Canal

"........nuclear power. I would work to expand our domestic nuclear power program to ensure that the American people.........would no longer be dependent upon the princes of the Middle East.......in order to maintain their daily lives. We cannot any longer be held back by third world countries. If nuclear power is the way forward........then god willing.......that is the direction that America should take......"

- Harold Stassen in Response to a Question on his Energy Policy
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:00:20 PM »

Harold Stassen maked a tour of the Northeast and the Midwest, using his new, revolutionary Town Hall format.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

".........we need universal healthcare of some sort. Medicare and Medicaid have failed us in that regard.......and we need reform NOW. If that means repealing Medicare and Medicaid....and starting from scratch.......than so be it. If it means expanding the scope and mission of both......than so be it. However......we cannot continue to have a more expensive.........yet less beneficial health system than those in Europe. I will work with both aisles of Congress to achieve this goal.......and I promise that it will cost less.....not more.....than it currently does......"

- Harold Stassen on Health Care Reform

".....well of course we need to worry about the Soviet Union.......why shouldn't we worry about the Soviet Union? We should continue to try and contain them.......but we should not use the Vietnam method pursued under Johnson and Tricky Dick. No.....I will not use American boys to try and contain communism. We should support Pro-American Democracies around the globe.......whether through arms or foreign aid.......and possibly train their military against Soviet-backed guerrilla forces. At the same time......we should build an Alliance of Democracies.....somewhat like NATO.......but with an expanded scope and mission......"

- Harold Stassen on Foreign Policy

"........would Elliot Richardson be in my cabinet? Sure......why not? Heck.......I might even make him the Vice President if he so much as mentions the idea to me..........."

- Harold Stassen Responding to a General Question
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:50:27 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2010, 09:41:20 PM by Michael Bloomberg »

"......Mr. Reagan.....I frankly am suprised that you called. Despite my rise in the polls.....the media for the most part has ignored me. I am honored to be recognised by at least one of my opponents. Now.......what can I do for you?"
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:16:12 PM »

"......Mr. Reagan.....I frankly am suprised that you called. Despite my rise in the polls.....the media for the most part has ignored me. I am honored to be recognised by at least one of my opponents. Now.......what can I do for you?"

Just called to see how you thought the campaign was going. I'd like to invite you and the other Republican candidates to a forum I'll be hosting before the Iowa caucus.

Reagan then calls Ford and Richardson to ask if they will join him in forum
".......Ronald......you have made my day. I promise to be in attendance....."
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies