1976: A New America- Gameply Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:21:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: A New America- Gameply Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976: A New America- Gameply Thread  (Read 29184 times)
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« on: March 20, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »

Senator Edward Kennedy at Faneuil Hall in Boston, announcing his candidacy for President of the United States:

Today, I speak to all citizens of America, but I wanted to speak to you from home here in Boston.  In this hall where John Hancock and Sam Adams first stirred the fire that became the American Revolution, I am reminded of those who accompanied my grandfather as he campaigned for Congress long before I was born.  Along the crowded Northend streets visible from these windows, when i was six years old he would walk with me through this neighborhood he loved.  Here also are the faces of childhood memory, of many friends and loyal supporters, who have been by my side through almost two decades of public life.

It was here that my ancestors came looking for new opportunities in a new world.  They made the perilous journey across the sea, seeking a brighter destiny on a distant continent.  Through turmoil and hardships, they did not surrender, but rather they fought to present a new generation with improved promises of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.  Every generation has struggled to preserve the old dream against new dangers, and now it is our turn.

I value my time in the United States Senate, working for the people of this nation in a collective body of my colleagues.  For two decades, I have voted on thousands of pieces of legislation, in an attempt to improve the lives of all Americans.  However, when present difficulties grow so large that they threaten the essential confidence of this nation, the energies of our people must be directed toward a larger purpose, and that can only be done through the White House.  Only the President can lead the people into a new direction.  Only the President can restore confidence in the face of adversity. 

When the President does not perform his most essential roles, changes must be made.  I tell you today America, changes will be made.  The era we live in is one of uncertainty and challenges.  But America, I have seen throughout my life how we as a people can rise to a challenge, embrace change and renew our destiny.

Today, we have a chance to leave our mark on history.  We know the future will outlast all of us, but I believe that all of us will live on in the future we make, and today, we have our chance to rise to the challenges that face us and overcome them. 

That is why I am running for President.  Let us unite and redeem this nation, and together we can make our More Perfect Union a reality.  Thank you.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:00:57 PM »

Senator Kennedy is asked about Governor Brown's criticisms of him and Governor Carter:

Kennedy:  Well, it's pretty easy to criticize the lives and careers of others when you have no political experiences of your own.  Give the new Governor a year and he'll have something to try to cover up.  As of now, he's just some guy who's on a post-election high and thinks he's ready to be President.  How long has he been Governor?

Reporter:  Um...I believe four months...?

b]KennedySad/b]  Alright, four months.  In the past four months I've voted on so many bills I can't even keep track.  Governor Brown's been making promises.  We all know he's good at that, but no one knows if he's actually good at anything else. 

Reporter:  Do you think he'd make a good Governor or President?

Kennedy:  That's not for me to decide.  All I know is that times like these call for action, and Governor Brown has no record of taking action, unlike Governor Carter and I.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:30:33 PM »

Kennedy addressing the claims by Carter and Brown:

Kennedy:  I wouldn't call him an outsider, I believe the more correct term would be "an inexperienced candidate on a post-election high who thinks he's ready to be President."  As for Governor Carter, it seems he is unable to criticize others on the substance of their policies.  He proved that with McGovern in '72, and he proved that by constantly bickering with his Lieutenant Governor.  Jim's an aggressive guy, a trouble maker.  He claims to be an outsider, but continues to attack others for political gain...Sounds like Washington to me.

Shortly after he answers this question, he learns the President has been shot.  He addresses it at a small gathering in Iowa.

Kennedy:  You all know I disagree with President Ford's policies, but I always fail to understand why someone would claim another's life for such a trivial matter.  I am proud to consider the President a friend and I wish him a speedy recovery. 

You all know that these events hit close to home.  However, as tragic as these events are, I believe America is worth it.  As of now, I'm just glad to hear the President is all right.

justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 04:43:01 PM »

Kennedy:  This may come as a surprise, but I agree with Jimmy.  President Nixon made some bad decisions, and President Nixon made some decisions.  However, Governor Brown has made no decisions, so what conclusion is there to draw?  In my opinion, the only conclusion is that he is an inexperienced candidate on a post-election high who thinks he is ready to be President.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 05:07:48 PM »

Senator Kennedy agrees.  He claims, "I think we're all interested in knowing what else Governor Brown can promise."
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »

Carter says that he is a staunch supporter of affirmative action, and not only by race but by income as well. Carter attacks Ted Kennedy severely for causing Mary Jo Kopechne's death and for not calling the police that night, which might have saved her live. Carter asks Americans if they would be comfortable having a murderer in the White House, because having a murderer in the Oval Office would be even worse than having a crook in there.

Kennedy:  Now, I think that while Governor Carter is being a slanderous politician, much the opposite of his campaign promises, he calls for answers.  These answers must be given, and I intend to give them.

I have never escaped the despair I have felt since that event.  I never expect to escape the guilt I feel for it.  My behavior was inexcusable, and I made terrible mistakes at the time.  I will never forgive myself for what I failed to do on that night.  Atonement is a process that never ends, and and while I have had to live every day with the consequences of the accident that claimed the life of Miss Kopechne, her family has had to endure worse. 

That night on Chappaquiddick Island ended in a horrible tragedy that haunts me every day of my life.  It was an accident, but it was an accident I was responsible for.  I regret constantly not informing the police.  I will not deny it; my brain was addled by concussion, exhaustion, shock and panic - and, in all honesty, the knowledge that the accident would hurt me politically. 

I am no longer hiding my past.  It is in the open.  I made a mistake, one that haunts me everywhere I go.  However, if I can make the world a better place for those who are here now, at least I will be able to say my that for all my mistakes, at least I did some things right.

justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:18:53 PM »

Senator Kennedy and Senator Robert Byrd campaign in West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania.

In the following weeks, he campaigns with Governor Mike Dukakis in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 08:13:11 AM »

Ted Kennedy continues his tour of New England with Representative Paul Tsongas, then travels to Delaware to campaign with Senator Joe Biden in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.

He then flies to Arizona and campaigns with popular Representative Mo Udall in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »

Ted Kennedy travels to Missouri, campaigning with Senator Joe Biden, Senator Bob Byrd, and Representative Mo Udall.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 09:06:44 PM »

Senator Ted Kennedy makes a speech with Senator Joe Biden in Des Moines, Iowa.

We need strong leadership to return to the White House.  It is time for the beginning of a New Era in American political history.  We have our defining moment to forever change the course of this nation.  It is up to us, my fellow Americans, to face this challenge and turn the wheel to a new generation.

Each generation has had their defining moments and there defining leaders, and now it is our turn.  For every generation, history calls in a different way.  Now, it is our turn.

For the past four years, we have...[continues on, criticizing Ford presidency.  Later brings back Kennedy memories.]
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »

Senator Ted Kennedy campaigns with Senator Birch Bayh in Indiana and Ohio.  They then fly to Iowa and campaign with Former Governor and Senator Harold Hughes of Iowa. 

My fellow Americans, it is time.  It is time in this country for all Americans to have the basic needs of a healthy and happy life.  It is time for healthcare to be a need that is filled for all, not a privilege that is afforded by some.

It is time, my fellow Americans, for change in America.  We will bring strong leadership to the White House in 1976, and we will change this nation forever.  Throughout my decades in public service, I have learned that history is always watching us.  It is time that we give the future something we will be remembered for.  Together, we will change this nation.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 10:46:03 PM »

Ted Kennedy makes a last attempt at Iowa.  He sends Mo Udall to Des Moines, Joe Biden to Cedar Rapids, Paul Tsongas to Iowa City, Birch Bayh to Davenport, and Harold Hughes to Davenport.  These campaigners mostly attack Governor Wallace (accusing him of being a racist), and Governor Brown (claiming he lacks experience).

Senator Kennedy campaigns in various small towns throughout the state, speaking at city halls and at schools.

My fellow Americans, this is our chance.  This is our moment.  This is our time to make a historic change to America; to leave a lasting legacy on this Great Nation.

We will restore this nation.  After years of failed and corrupt leadership, it is time for change in America.  We will open the page to a new chapter, one where all Americans have affordable health insurance, one where all Americans have the guaranteed and unalienable rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, a guarantee which has faltered under the Nixon and Ford administrations.  With your help and guidance, we will make America whole once again.

The cynics say we can not do this.  They tell us to lower our expectations, they tell us not to give the people of this nation false hope.  However, it is my firm belief that there has never been anything false about hope.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 02:56:55 PM »

Senator Ted Kennedy campaigns in Iowa.

Except:  This is our time!  This is our moment!  We will rise to this challenge!  We will win back the White House, and it all with you, Iowa!  We will win here, and we win New Hampshire, and this movement will flow across the land and in 1977, true leadership will return to the White House!

Senator Birch Bayh campaigns in Iowa:

Excerpt:  ...and you all know Wallace.  Now, he says desegregation forever, but that's a lot easier to say once it's already happened.  Look, we've been an officially equal nation for twelve years.  Only the Lord knows how long before the Great Society is truly achieved.  Electing a "former" racist like George Wallace will only stall our progression towards equality.

Senator Joe Biden campaigns in Iowa:

Excerpt:  How about Governor Brown?  He's a young guy, charismatic.  However, what has he ever done for this nation.  You all know what Jack and Bobby and Ted Kennedy have done for this nation.  My friend Ted offers strong leadership, proven experience, and the will to do right by the American people.  These qualities are not offered by any other candidate.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 03:25:37 PM »

Remove Senator Byrd.  He already endorsed Ted Kennedy (look back about six pages)

I'm assuming that's not an approved endorsement.  If it isn't, I ask that all unapproved endorsements are removed.

Senator Kennedy and Senator Robert Byrd campaign in West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania.

In the following weeks, he campaigns with Governor Mike Dukakis in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 02:13:08 AM »
« Edited: April 02, 2010, 02:27:40 AM by Senator Ted Kennedy »

Harold Hughes already endorsed Kennedy.  If Hughes won Wallace more than 2% of the vote (he likely did), I want the election redone.

Are you even approving these endorsements?
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »

Senator Kennedy's campaign is awaiting the results of the election recount in Iowa.  Meanwhile, he largely ignores Mississippi, instead moving on to campaign along the Rust Belt, in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

Senator Birch Bayh campaigns for Kennedy in Indiana.  Senator Robert Byrd campaigns throughout Virginia, West Virginia, and the Rust Belt, after making a quick run through the Deep South.  Governor Mike Dukakis campaigns in Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire.  Representative Mo Udall begins a sweep of the Rocky Mountain states, while Senator Joe Biden makes a run throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Overall, Kennedy's endorsers mostly criticize Governor George Wallace.  Senator Ted Kennedy does not criticize his opponents, instead focusing on issues such as Welfare Reform, Universal Health Insurance, and strong leadership.

justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:56:20 PM »

Ted Kennedy celebrates his victory in Augusta, then travels to Minnesota.

Governor Dukakis and Senator Bayh travel to New Hampshire to campaign for him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies