We Ask America - selected IL races (R)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:47:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 House Election Polls
  We Ask America - selected IL races (R)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We Ask America - selected IL races (R)  (Read 2710 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:25:29 PM »

Recently released numbers since the IL primary.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

IL 8
Democrat Melissa Bean 37.6%
Republican Joe Walsh 38.3%
Green Party Bill Sheurer 3.9%

IL 10
Democrat Dan Seals 40.1%
Republican Rober Dold 37.4%
Green Party Richard Mayers 2.4%

IL 11
Democrat Debbie Halvorson 30.22%
Republican Adam Kinzinger 42.04%

IL 14
Democrat Bill Foster 36.5%
Republican Randy Hultgren 37.9%
Green Party Daniel Kairis 4.5%

IL 17
Democrat Phil Hare 38.8%
Republican Bobby Schilling 31.7%
Green Party Roger Davis 3.9%
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »

I interpret these numbers as meaning one Dem seat in Illinois out of those listed is in serious play. I suspect the bulk of the undecideds, if that way at this point in time, are going to tilt to the Dem incumbents by election day.

So these numbers "feel" right to you Muon2?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 09:50:26 PM »

I interpret these numbers as meaning one Dem seat in Illinois out of those listed is in serious play. I suspect the bulk of the undecideds, if that way at this point in time, are going to tilt to the Dem incumbents by election day.

They have Obama with a 50-47 disapproval. I would guess that the right number is closer to 55-42 approval. If that's the case, the other numbers should be shifted accordingly. Also, this was taken some time ago, and I think that the health care vote mat have some effect on the next poll as well.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »

garbage polling
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:05:06 AM »

Three Dem incumbents are losing and yet Seals is winning. Right.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:22:17 AM »

Yeah, those numbers look like junk.  Overly strong Green Party presence and they didn't push leaners enough to distinguish them from the actual undecideds 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »

Yeah, those numbers look like junk.  Overly strong Green Party presence and they didn't push leaners enough to distinguish them from the actual undecideds 

Actually, the Green numbers seem reasonable. Since Whitney's 10% showing in the 2006 Gov's race, the Greens are seen by many as a none-of-the-above choice. Numbers like 2-4% this far from November are probably right. There is a real anti-incumbent mood, and spillover to the Greens is part of it.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:28:59 AM »

Damn, if these are right, I wanted Bob Dold to win...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 09:31:41 AM »

I still think they're oversampling them, but still, I dislike polls that are so loose that they can't show a non-disaster incumbent above 31%
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:06 PM »

Three Dem incumbents are losing and yet Seals is winning. Right.

That's not entirely unlikely considering Seals' opponent is a far right wing extremist hardcore fascist. That said there is no way Halvorson is doing that bad.
DownTheMiddle
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 09:28:54 AM »

I know that the folks who did these "snapshot" polls are really well respected. They nailed the primary results in Illinois (the only polls that did get it right by predicting a "too close to call" result in the GOP primary and being only .2% off the Dem results).

That said, if you read between the lines in what they say in some of these early results, its clear that these  polls are merely capturing a snapshot of a rapidly gyrating landscape.

However, I know a lot of people who feel that Halvorson is in real trouble. She was subject to some pretty brutal treatment by the anti-Card Check crowd, and this is a district that previously elected a very conservative congressman--Jerry Weller.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 12:27:57 PM »

They have Obama with a 50-47 disapproval. I would guess that the right number is closer to 55-42 approval. If that's the case, the other numbers should be shifted accordingly. Also, this was taken some time ago, and I think that the health care vote mat have some effect on the next poll as well.

Are those Obama approval numbers for IL statewide or only these districts? I can't tell from their website.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:31 PM »

Are those Obama approval numbers for IL statewide or only these districts? I can't tell from their website.

If its only from the districts polled combined then its probably pretty accurate considering none of the Chicago districts were polled (not any reason to). Statewide though, those numbers are doubtful.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 06:06:04 PM »

If its only from the districts polled combined then its probably pretty accurate considering none of the Chicago districts were polled (not any reason to). Statewide though, those numbers are doubtful.

Exactamundo.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »

The Springfield Journal-Register has an informative column on the the polling company We Ask America. It seems to imply that the Obama approvals in the poll were based on statewide numbers. Other polls I've seen from that period would give a 5-10 point advantage to Obama rather than the 3% disadvantage shown here.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 10:17:11 PM »

Go Hultgren and Brady
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »

A guy on Swing State Project did some digging and found out who's behind this pollster:

So, they're in the tank for Republicans and want to obfuscate that fact. I think we can stick these polls in the trash.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »

A guy on Swing State Project did some digging and found out who's behind this pollster:

So, they're in the tank for Republicans and want to obfuscate that fact. I think we can stick these polls in the trash.

I thought I made it pretty clear with the initial title that this was an R-related firm. That's why I added the extra link with the background on Durham so that it was clear.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »

Beware of pollsters stating their results to the tenth of a point eight months before the election.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies