A recommendation to the new Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:11:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A recommendation to the new Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A recommendation to the new Senate  (Read 735 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 26, 2004, 06:14:17 PM »

To avoid legal battles, such as that with Governor Ernest,  I recommend the new Senate form an amendment to the Constitution that outlines what rights regional governments hold.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 06:33:30 PM »

I agree
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 07:00:29 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2004, 08:38:55 PM by SE Gov. Ernest »

It already does.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Unless you can find something in the Constitution that bans Regions from carrying out the death penalty (as a power prohibited to the States)  then the Federal government can't ban the death penalty from being used by the Regions.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 08:13:59 PM »

I also agree to this and would support it if elected.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 09:30:40 PM »

However the constitution doesn't give the regions the power to nullify laws
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 10:05:09 PM »

Senator, I have a duty to follow the Constitution of both Atlasia and the Southeast Region.  I see absolutely nothing Constitutional in a law that has the Federal government repealing constitutional laws of the Regional governments.  Indeed, such action is explictly unconstitutional. The only way that The Death Penalty Abolition Act could possibly do more than abolish the Federal death penalty would be if the death penalty itself is unconstitutional, in which case the Act itself would be unneeded as the Constitution itself would abolish the death penalty.  Given the similarities of the US and Atlasian Constitutions and the rulings of the US Supreme Court on this issue, I fail to see how the death penalty could be ruled unconstitutional per se.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 10:31:10 PM »

Governor Ernest, after you were elected you immediatly nufflied the Death Penalty and so on. Did you even take a poll or ask the people of your Region what they think? Sounds like you arent a man of the people.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 11:17:21 PM »

Governor Ernest, after you were elected you immediatly nufflied the Death Penalty and so on. Did you even take a poll or ask the people of your Region what they think? Sounds like you arent a man of the people.
I acted to implement the existing laws of the States that comprise the Southeastern region, all ten of which use the death penalty.  I did so in a manner that provided for court review of the unconstitutional provisions of The Death Penalty Abolition Act before undertaking any irrevocable acts.  It would be presumptious in the extreme for me to assume that the people did not want particular laws enforced.  Surely, as a former Justice, you would not want me to ignore the law.   If the people of the Southeast wish to cease the usage of the death penalty there exists the initiative process by which they can do so  Indeed, I have expressed my willingness to expidite the process in this case to the extent available to me under the Southeastern Constitution, in part to make it as clear as possible that my action here is not based upon my opinion of the death penalty.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies