how close is Economics to becoming a hard science?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:35:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  how close is Economics to becoming a hard science?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: how close is Economics to becoming a hard science?  (Read 341 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »

I am guessing the litmus test for this criteria may as well start and end with behavioral economics.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2010, 03:31:22 PM by phknrocket1k »

Some parts of it are "hard" like Operations Research, where Econ turns into Industrial Engineering!

Some parts of it are "soft" like Economic History where Econ turns soft I suppose.

Generally speaking, but not always true, the more applied mathematically the sub-field in Economics is the more "hard" it is.

We've made huge strides in experimental economics (and thus game theory, behavioral economics, auction theory, bargaining theory) thanks to Vernon Smith. I don't have any book recommendations right now for that though.

As for finance there's some interesting things with respect to applying physics concepts such as Brownian motions and particle theory to the stock market. You'll need to know probability theory, abstract algebra and stochastic calculus to conquer that subject. I considered it to be somewhat bizarre at first but its very interesting.

Who knows?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies