What kind of scheduling did/do you have in high school?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:13:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What kind of scheduling did/do you have in high school?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Huh
7+ periods per day

6 period day

Block scheduling (4, 85-90 minute periods)

Module scheduling

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: What kind of scheduling did/do you have in high school?  (Read 2780 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »

And what do you think is the best system?

We had block scheduling.  This was nice because it allowed you to take two full years of a subject in the same school year.  This greatly expands opportunities in subjects like science, math, and world languages.  It discourages enrollment in music courses that last the entire year and take up an entire block.  Most traditional semester long courses are a quarter long.

I think block scheduling or module scheduling is the best.  Module scheduling is often set up as having, say 10 35 minute modules in a day and various classes are at different times at different lengths and often don't meet every day of hte week.  It's more similar to college scheduling.  It gives students the most flexibility.

The worst by far is the 6 period day.  It is preferred by many schools because it is the cheapest.  You have the fewest opportunities to advance in various subjects.  At the same, total classroom hours in any given course are often longer than with block scheduling since the class is more than half the length of a block but is taken for twice as long during the school year.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:14:02 PM »

8 periods per day
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:14:36 PM »

7 periods, with two block days.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »

How long are they?  Like 40 minutes?  I can't imagine doing a science class and experiment in that little time.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:16:33 PM »

Block scheduling.

Four 90 minute classes.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »

6 periods was the minimum, 7 periods if you took a language, along with 2 periods of extra-curricular, for up to 9 periods a day.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:18:32 PM »

Block scheduling.

Four 90 minute classes.

Thats what I had too.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:20:51 PM »

How long are they?  Like 40 minutes?  I can't imagine doing a science class and experiment in that little time.

Yes. Science labs and P.E. were double periods.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »

The only problem with such short periods is all the time you waste on break time between classes.  In our school we had 85 minute periods with 10 minute breaks between classes and a 45 minute lunch. 

I know California does a lot of modular scheduling.. like Pit's example.  They also ahve all sorts of short days and stuff like that.

We're pretty old fashioned here.  You have school like 8:30-3:30 each day with extracurricular stuff afterwards (some before).. you start the day after Labor Day and they try to get you out by the end of May.  We had very few random days off except holidays.. and never a "short" day unless we were having a blizzard.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:41:53 PM »

7 periods (three before recess, then two before lunch, which were often doubles, and then two after lunch which were always doubles except in year 9)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 08:43:59 PM »

The only problem with such short periods is all the time you waste on break time between classes.  In our school we had 85 minute periods with 10 minute breaks between classes and a 45 minute lunch. 

I know California does a lot of modular scheduling.. like Pit's example.  They also ahve all sorts of short days and stuff like that.

We're pretty old fashioned here.  You have school like 8:30-3:30 each day with extracurricular stuff afterwards (some before).. you start the day after Labor Day and they try to get you out by the end of May.  We had very few random days off except holidays.. and never a "short" day unless we were having a blizzard.

My school was really only modular for Juniors & Seniors (even then, they were required to take the English & History course specific to their grade). Freshmen & Sophomores had no choice in what classes they took for their six minimum periods, though they could take a language & also do extra-curricular classes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 08:45:30 PM »

Six period.  Some band kids had a zero-hour.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:53 PM »

Block scheduling of periods of around 1 hour 15 minutes.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »

Seven periods a day but you always had one free (maybe two by your Senior year). Every other Wednesday and Thursday was a block schedule.

Standard class time was 45 minutes and an hour and fifteen minutes on the block days.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »

7 periods a day. If you were a freshman or sophomore, you had to take at least 6 of them, if you were a junior or senior, you had to take at least 5. You could do whatever you wanted if you didn't have class, include leaving campus.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 10:36:44 PM »

Standard 6 periods in a day. I think it worked well. I can't imagine trying to maintain a class of teenager's attention for 90 minutes. I also can't imagine trying to cram an entire course into a semester. Memphis City Schools, in an attempt to give more failing kids a chance to finish high school in 4 years, has recently instituted A/B Block scheduling, which is beyond retarded. Kids have to balance eight classes at a time but don't meet them every day. Given the district's high rate of absenteeism, students often go a week or more without meeting a given class. Teachers now only get a planning period every other day. Test scores are going to be even worse than usual this year.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »

7 periods a day.
8 if you did zero-period PE.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »

9 periods a day.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »

Standard 6 periods in a day. I think it worked well. I can't imagine trying to maintain a class of teenager's attention for 90 minutes. I also can't imagine trying to cram an entire course into a semester. Memphis City Schools, in an attempt to give more failing kids a chance to finish high school in 4 years, has recently instituted A/B Block scheduling, which is beyond retarded. Kids have to balance eight classes at a time but don't meet them every day. Given the district's high rate of absenteeism, students often go a week or more without meeting a given class. Teachers now only get a planning period every other day. Test scores are going to be even worse than usual this year.
everybody who didn't have block scheduling always says this.. but it's not the case.  90 minutes goes by pretty fast.  In some cases, getting a years worth of work done in one semester isn't hard at all, because you not only have twice as much work to do.. you have twice as much class time to work on it, so homework doesn't increase.  The only ones that struggle are math classes.  You only get about two thirds of a way through a book before the semester is up.. so they just split up into, say, Algebra I, II, and III which is the same equivalent of doing two full years in a 6 period day.

Thanks to block scheduling, a friend of mine took AP Calculus his junior year and went to the university for math his senior year.  With 6 period scheduling, only a few kids would even make it to calculus by 12th grade since you'd ahve fewer elective periods to double up on math courses
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 10:49:32 PM »

everybody who didn't have block scheduling always says this.. but it's not the case.  90 minutes goes by pretty fast.  In some cases, getting a years worth of work done in one semester isn't hard at all, because you not only have twice as much work to do.. you have twice as much class time to work on it, so homework doesn't increase.  The only ones that struggle are math classes.  You only get about two thirds of a way through a book before the semester is up.. so they just split up into, say, Algebra I, II, and III which is the same equivalent of doing two full years in a 6 period day.

Thanks to block scheduling, a friend of mine took AP Calculus his junior year and went to the university for math his senior year.  With 6 period scheduling, only a few kids would even make it to calculus by 12th grade since you'd ahve fewer elective periods to double up on math courses

I agree. Block Scheduling is especially helpful in Band classes.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »

Who on earth could remember such a thing?  It was the 80s, that's all I know. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »

I'm with opebo here.  I vaguely remember having 8 periods, but the first period was for weird things.  Jrs and Srs had a lot of options.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 11:37:09 PM »

6 periods per day. I took an extra period in 9th grade by taking 0 Period PE and I took 5 periods in 12th grade.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 04:56:26 AM »

Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 05:09:57 AM »

7 periods a day. If you were a freshman or sophomore, you had to take at least 6 of them, if you were a junior or senior, you had to take at least 5. You could do whatever you wanted if you didn't have class, include leaving campus.

The only difference with mine was that freshmen-juniors had to stay all seven periods.

It used to be that if seniors only needed one class to be graduated, they could choose which period to take it, but the school board nixed that my freshman year.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies